mtbr member

why is ringwood gate locked near shepards lake?

why is ringwood gate locked blocking access to trials near shepards lake? I went around but did something happened?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    It's been like this for over a month. I ride early in the morning: 5 to 9 and always find it closed. Go on the other side, from parking lot C. Trails are much better, depending on what ou are looking for of course.
    2007 Specialized FSR Comp
    2010 Jamis Trail XC
    2012 Superlight 29

mtbr member
    I think it is to keep people from driving in. I have seen pickup trucks on that road. I believe the road is part of a network of service roads that encircle / go though the park.

Since I haven't seen that gate locked as far as I can remember, there must have been some sort of "incident" to provoke that kind of action from the parks department.

You can still go around the gate. To be honest it I find it to be a pain the ass myself. There is a path on the non lake side of the gate.

Don't worry, as far as I know Mountain Biking is still permitted there. There have been no postings that I have seen indicating otherwise.

I normally park at Parking Lot C myself, ride the road to Shepherds lake and ride trails back to the Red Trail, then the service road on the far end of the park. It makes for a nice warm up and cool down in the end.

Happy trails!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Parking Lot C is the designated parking lot for mountain bike access. Shepherd's lake lot is usually for swimming in summer months. Lots are open from 8:00 to 8:00. Not sure which gate you are referring to, but the parks closes the woods roads gates to keep unauthorized cars out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pixy View Post
    Parking Lot C is the designated parking lot for mountain bike access. Shepherd's lake lot is usually for swimming in summer months. Lots are open from 8:00 to 8:00. Not sure which gate you are referring to, but the parks closes the woods roads gates to keep unauthorized cars out.
    I am pretty sure he is referring to a locked gate on the access road past the boat launch / rental area at Shepard's Lake. It appears the gate has been there for several years, even though I never personally noticed it in the past.