mtbr member

Where to ride with my lady

Hi I want to take the little lady to some where fun to ride tomorrow, she's not a pro, so I would like to take her somewhere where there some fire road, and lite single track nothing too technical... Oh I'm in the northbergen area. Thanks

mtbr member
    Lewis Morris in Morristown would be a good place to go. Nothing there is too crazy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I took my g/f (who doesn't ride) to the Tourne. She actually did quite well, only had to walk around a few rock gardens. We ended up riding on some of the gravel trails to give her a breather. But LM is probably an easier place to ride, a little more "flow".

mtbr member

where to ride

I agree Lewis Morris or Kittatinny all good stuff not too technical

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

from bergen cnty too

I live in bergen county too. My GF who's not a pro likes Ringwood Jungle Habitat (she walks alot there) and Lewis Morris. Her favorite place to ride is Hartshorne though.

mtbr member
    I've been to ringwwod alot, where exactly in the jungle habitat?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    its by the greenwood lake airport.....no more than 10min drive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    jungle habitat is in west milford on airport road.

Check out skyline drive with your lady. Last year the GF and I went there and after climbing up to shepards lake form the parking lot, its an absolute wonder to go around. Its simple and there is enough for you guys to explore in the area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyfury
    Check out skyline drive with your lady. Last year the GF and I went there and after climbing up to shepards lake form the parking lot, its an absolute wonder to go around. Its simple and there is enough for you guys to explore in the area.

FYI, Skyline to Shepard's lake is by no means a beginner ride. Its easily 10 - 15 miles of boulders with rocks in between.

mtbr member

my easy ringwood ride

here's my gal friendly ringwood route
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7106100

the link above has me doing it twice, one loop is about 6 miles, and includes some tarmac

tonight i was to lead a trip out of 'the school', but i have cancelled due to rain

generally i am more worried about the ride up in the rain, recently i went up there for a night ride on a rainy evening and there was an auto collision in front of micky dee's in ringwood

if you gal friend is advanced mtb, check out the race trail from shepherd lake
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7896296
    trail ran it last sunday

saw two runners last sunday at shepherd lake but no mtbers

mtbr member
    Jungle habitat seems a little rough for someone whos not comfortable with technical stuff the trail can get rocky at times (atleast the one i take), i wouldnt take my girlfriend there.. Have you ever thought about taking her to waywayanda ? they have alot of flattened hardpack trails in the mix there. Ringwood which is literally seconds from my house goes both ways, there are fireroads that go on forever and racing and technical trails if you build up some courage. My vote is waywayanda or Ringwood. If you decided to go to west mil, stay away from the jungles race trail or ride the roads. There is a great single track in habitat which you can grab from the parking lot ( hill that tops the tunnel first left then first right, then through the arches. Its marked white if you get confused) this is a pretty decent trail as far as difficulty, but there are some rocks at the end.

Hope this helps.
    Scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. ~ Nikola Tesla

mtbr member

the mighty jungle

the higher ups tell me jungle habitat is not a 'c' level mtb terrain

i believe their criteria is due to the rocky terrain of the defunct jungle habitat animal park.

here's my two rides at jungle habitat

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7789779

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7354981

click this link to see some pics i took in the jungle on 3-14-09

this could be the rock that broke my freewheel/cluster as my mechanic noted last night, gear upgrades are in the works

i tried heading to wayay a couple of times, but this winter was icey and the rides never happened.

that being said i believe the first hudson to highlands race is upcoming at wayayanda

if i do an h2h race i go for lewis morris, i already did th mountain man biathlon in october and hope to do it again this year

if you don't mind driving, you and your gal friend might consider, lewis morris which is near morristown, nj and or allaire state park which is undoubtedly, rock free.

lewis morris mtn man bike leg
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7046348

here's a nice 20 mile ride at allaire, you can it encompassed 2 or 3 visits back to parking lot, so you can easily do a shorter loop, and there's more just accross the road (hospital rd), that i didn't get to yet
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7328831

mtbr member
    I'd definitely hold of on Jungle Habitat, and Ringwood. You want to ease her into the sport, not intimidate. Lewis Morris would be an easy ride. Allaire is great for the first rides with the GF. Hartshorne has hills but little technical, mainly just flow. If she wants to try rocks try Kittatiny. Kitt is the most friendly place that also has some moderate rock gardens that won't get frustrating. Turned out my GF really took to rocks and now she prefers the rocky parks, while wearing pads.

Clayton is good for beginners too. About as far down as Allaire.

In order:
    Clayton
    Allaire
    Kitt

I personally can't stand Lewis Morris. If i'm making a trip (from Weehawken) i want to go somewhere a little more fun.

mtbr member
    thanks guys for all your input. I ended up going to ringwood since I know the area pretty good. My lady did really good, we did alot of the fire roads dipping in and out of the single track trails off the race course. We had a good time, we completed about 10 miles. I kept track of what we did with motion x on my iPhone, how can I upload it?

mtbr member

iphone map

my garmin i use motion based

often i export then vuew the .tcx at http://www.gpsvisualizer.com

then export to everytrail.com

it was a nice day for mtb, ringwood must have been awesome, did some mtb locally at town park, some dude did a nice wheelie on his giant hard tail

i got bad news today on my giant, i wanted to upgrade, but my wrench couldn't locate enough used parts, so now i am in pickle since the yukon fx needs upgrade, but is not fiscally worth it, to pay for new stuff, the bike is just too darn heavy