Thread: Weekend getaway

Chronic Hucker
    Feb 2007

Weekend getaway

Me and a few buddies are looking to take a long weekend and do some riding towards the end of September.. We are looking for something within 5 or so hours of northern NJ (bergen county), preferably a place we can get some lift accessed riding in, as well as some killer pedal happy singletrack riding. We are intermediate level riders, ground our teeth at Ramapo and Ringwood. Any recommendations? Thanks.
    [SIZE=3]Make Yourself
    [SIZE=1]enjoy the ride[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

www.mtbnj.com
    Jul 2005
    lift access? diablo up in vernon: http://www.diablofreeridepark.com/.

You will also be in striking distance of Waywayanda, Mahlon Dickerson and Allamuchy from there, too: http://www.mtbnj.com/directory.php

Chronic Hucker
    Feb 2007
    I have been up to diablo this year, that place is awesome - super gnarly. I was a little out of place with my non full face helmet and only 5" of travel, but had a blast. I am looking for something a bit further away, one that would require an overnight stay or two.
    [SIZE=3]Make Yourself

[/SIZE]

www.mtbnj.com
    Jul 2005
    Did you look into Killington or Mount Snow?

mtbr member
    agree with mtnbkr0101 those places are nice. Also West Virginia was nominated one of best places in the world for MTBing by IMBA in 2004. some places to research
    "hit hard, hit fast, hit often HOOAH!!!!"

Blog of mine: http://mtnsprts.blogspot.com

Daddy of 3 now!
    totally agree w/ Killington
    You can make it up there in 5hrs and has some night life and restaurants after biking. Nice fresh Vermont Mtn Air. You can get a pretty good deal as well. They offer condos on the mtn w/lift tickets.
    We did it for almost 10yrs in a row and started w/20+ down to the 4 orig. the last year.
    Great memories

it's just baby phat..
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNJironHorse
    Me and a few buddies are looking to take a long weekend and do some riding towards the end of September.. We are looking for something within 5 or so hours of northern NJ (bergen county), preferably a place we can get some lift accessed riding in, as well as some killer pedal happy singletrack riding. We are intermediate level riders, ground our teeth at Ramapo and Ringwood. Any recommendations? Thanks.
    Sugar Bush in VT has lift access. The Wilder Farm Inn in Waitsfield, VT is owned by an avid mountain biker. He also does tours and will cater to all skill levels. Ask for Luke.1-802-496-9935. You could not ask for a better host.

http://www.wilderfarminn.com/

phat

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Have a look at Whiteface Mtn up near Lake Placid, NY. There is lift access and plenty of XC riding as well. They have done a lot of work up there over the past couple of years, and it is about 5 hours away and has pretty good lodging deals.

Have fun!

Chronic Hucker
    Feb 2007
    Thanks everyone, time to do some research now. I came across the Wilder Farm inn elsewhere and Luke came highly recommended there as well...maybe we have a winner.
    [SIZE=3]Make Yourself

[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Suger Bush Area

I would second Wilder Farm as well. Reasons great riding in the area, best dam panckaes you will ever have, and you have a host that is also a mountain biker and can let you know all the 411 for the area.

Oh yeah that flat bread pizza place is the best!

Bob W.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dash33
    Have a look at Whiteface Mtn up near Lake Placid, NY. There is lift access and plenty of XC riding as well. They have done a lot of work up there over the past couple of years, and it is about 5 hours away and has pretty good lodging deals.

Have fun!

I'm pretty familiar with this area and don't know of good XC singletrack. Is the XC you speak of a part of Whiteface or something or are there other good trails in the area i'm unaware of.

I'm heading up to that area soon and would be interested to finally get some good dax XC in.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Three buds and I are doing Killington next weekend. We got a nice condo on the mountain and two full days on the lift for less than $200/man. Not bad.

And we took off Monday to hit Stewart on the way back to NY.

Three sheets to the wind
    I highly recommend Whiteface and the surrounding area, which is where I am spending this week at the moment. Not only do you have plenty of riding at Whiteface, you have Mt. VanHovenberg, and tons of other riding as well as the Olympic center and downtown Lake Placid to enjoy. Check it out at http://highpeakscyclery.com/index.cfm and http://www.whiteface.com/newsite/summer.php and http://www.lakeplacid.com/

Hit up DownHillMike and he can hook you up with anything you may need, hope to cya up here...

mtbr member
    Went to Whiteface and the XC trails are not really worth taking any sort of trip for.

With the research i did, Lake Placid is not a great destination for XC riders. I mean it isn't horrible, i just think it isn't worth the expense if you're looking for great XC.

Can't comment on anything lift assisted.

mtbr member

Trip

I would definately hit Killington. The riding up there is insane. The trails are sick. Even if you consider yourself an intermediate rider, there is so much there to enjoy regardless. Finding a place to stay isnt that tough. You could even stay in Manchester which is only about 40 minutes south of Killington. Not all that much going on at Stratton this time of year for riding but Bromley's got the alpine slide and all that.