mtbr member
    Sep 2004

weekend destination

I'm looking for suggestions within a short drive from central NJ (no more than 3 hours) for a weekend camping trip (okay, we both mtn bike, there's my mtn bike content, but we'll be bringing our dogs and I figure the 4th weekend will be rather crowded so it'd be better to hike with the dogs rather than bike). Umm, lets see, we're looking for good hiking, with some streams and/or lakes in the area for the dogs to cool down, and SHOWERS (yes, we are girls and we need to have showers). I've been to Harriman/Bear Mountain quite a few times and I'd rather go somewhere different this time around.
    [SIZE="1"]We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.[/SIZE]

www.mtbnj.com

lotto baby
    jockey hill maybe in NY? its not too far outside of kingston, and you can always head down to new paltz for fun, maybe camp up by the gunks... but that'll probably be packed.

jim thorpe? a little further to one of the imba epics in state college pa?
    i spurt in the wind, and the wind drug it

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The Deleware Water Gap is allways good for some hiking can find a local campground that will probably have showers. A good hike is up Dunnfield Creek trail to sunfish pon and back down the AT; although th northern side is usually less crowded and might be better. But if your looking for some solitude find some obscure part of the AT to hike over in PA just look an any road map ant it is usually marked and find a campground nearby. Even on crowded weekedends it can be relatively empty.

mtbr member
    I don't think the Five Finger Lakes in NY are too far and there is some amazing stuff up there and is great for hiking. Also has great waterfall shots
    "hit hard, hit fast, hit often HOOAH!!!!"

Blog of mine: http://mtnsprts.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I was curious - i've been wondering about the catskills area for hiking - we are into places where we can do some river walking/hiking at the same time. We've found this one place in the catskills where we can walk/hike along/in a number of streams/flowy water and that was pretty fun. So are there any other areas like that in the catskills or the delaware water gap?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Dunfield Creek trail follows a creek up in the water gap trailhead is the lot off of rt 80 past the cliffs on mt tammanny. Don't know about the catskills best thing to do is look at some topo maps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    jim thorpe pa