Thread: Wawayanda 10/17

mtbr member

Wawayanda 10/17

I tried to get through Cedar Swamp, but all I saw was the Swamp part. Turned back and head south to Turkey Hill and saw guinea hen instead. I also tried to find the Break-A-Dendron singletrack, but the stalks were either banging my shins or overunning the trail, so I did not complete it. I ran into a guy claiming to be a "Nature Jim" and pointed to a trail not on map, trail made my day HINT: It's off Cherry Road.

Is the area encircled in the picture where Break-A-Dendron trail is located?

I was looking for the fast singletrack with the Rhodadendron overhead canopy.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wawayanda 10/17-breakadendron-quest.jpg  

danger! danger!
    I'm glad to hear Nature Jim is up & about and doing well.
    aka - VelocityBoy

mtbr member

I Noticed

..he had a large, still stitched, scar on the left side of his head. I guess it's from a health issue. I did not know the guy, but I was on such a biking high, I shook his hand and thanked him for pointing out the trailhead.

mtbr member
    Anyone have an answer to where the break-a-dendron trail is on map?

Where is porcupine trail?

Born Annoyed
    Quote Originally Posted by XCProphet View Post
    Anyone have an answer to where the break-a-dendron trail is on map?

Where is porcupine trail?
    I can't tell to much off your pic. Starting from the Cherry Ridge/ Banker lot that you have circled, take Cherry Ridge back into the park, look to the right and you will see a single track cut in. Thats Porcupine run that to the end and make a left. follow to the left and you will hit Rockadendren. At the end cross Cherry Ridge and jump on the new trail, think its called Wall. It will take you back to where you started.

JJ- what happened to Jim?
    It's ALWAYS funny when it happens to somebody else
    Lookie at what I found- http://www.f88me.com check it out, now

danger! danger!
    Hemorrhage-like symptoms...was hospital bound under observation for 10 days.
    Was released about 3 weeks ago.
    He's doing well...great news!
    aka - VelocityBoy

'Tis but a scratch
    Rockadendren is a perfect name for that trail segment between Porcupine and Cherry Ridge. Very challenging, but cool. I've ridden it a couple times in the past couple months.

XC Prophet. Cedar Swamp is a mess. The directions above from Panhead are on the money. Porcupine is not marked on the Cherry Ridge end by Banker, but its only maybe 50 yards west of Banker Trail which is marked. There is a tree with a barely noticeable yellow mark on it there on Cherry Ridge. When you get to the other end T intesection...look back, there's a sign that says "Porcupine" there.

cdifficile
    Nov 2011
    I suggest approaching "Porcupine" from taking the sanctioned trail Banker North to the left onto Cedar Swamp trail and then taking a quick left onto an unnamed trail. Porcupine will soon be on your left, see the sign on the tree facing you. Skip "Rockadendron" all together. It is way too brutal back there. The trail across from "Rockadendron", on the south side of Cherry Ridge Trail, however, now called "The Wall" is an good loop back to the parking lot, or onto to the old Carey Mine site, and then onto Split Rock. Kudos to Huffster on his every trail postings.

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cdifficile View Post
    I suggest approaching "Porcupine" from taking the sanctioned trail Banker North to the left onto Cedar Swamp trail and then taking a quick left onto an unnamed trail. Porcupine will soon be on your left, see the sign on the tree facing you. Skip "Rockadendron" all together. It is way too brutal back there. The trail across from "Rockadendron", on the south side of Cherry Ridge Trail, however, now called "The Wall" is an good loop back to the parking lot, or onto to the old Carey Mine site, and then onto Split Rock. Kudos to Huffster on his every trail postings.
    Does anyone have a map with all of these trails? I know that I've ridden a bunch of them, but I always end up losing my bearings back there.

'Tis but a scratch

Wawayanda Map

There is a decent map on jorba website (http://www.jorba.org/sites/default/f...revApr2009.jpg). It does not have all of the unmarked single track. That seems to be a matter of experience. There is lots of it, especially on the south side. If you run with this map and just take a chance, you will tend to pop out on something marked on the map sooner or later. You can check out some of my GPS tracks on EveryTrail - Travel Community, iPhone Guides for Sightseeing, Hiking, Walking Tours and more (user name huffster). Also, there are others that are laying down GPS tracks too. I tend to describe my route more than most. I'm using a Blackberry to track so I really don't have GPX files. But, hopefully you will find the descriptions valuable. Export tracks into Google Earth and you should have a pretty good "lay of the land"