mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Want to start biking....

I'm in North Jersey but don't mind if I have to take a drive. Looking to see if anyone found any deals at any LBS in Jersey? Looking to spend between $800-$900... I see a lot of people saying they found bikes with great discounts at LBS but there not that many around me... I'm making a list now of some to go to... Thanks guys.

By the way, I had spine surgery in March. Had a cervical disk fusion so don't want to do any hard core trails but want to take my son through some light trails, parks and roads....

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've always had luck with my local shop Flo On Wheels in Hoboken, NJ. Great prices and a very helpful staff. They carry Specialized brand bikes.

Redcoat
    Check out mtbNJ.com there's a lot of info on there about MTB in New Jersey.

They also have a list of a lot of LBS: Category:Shop Directory - mtbNJ.com Wiki

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Just don't try to get a full suspension bike with that kind of money. You should be able to get a serviceable entry level hardtail. Just stay away from stores like Dick's Sporting Goods and anywhere else that is not a true dedicated bicycle store(but REI is an exception), which are the only types of stores anyway dumb enough to stock sub $1000 full suspension bikes.

There are two likely scenarios:
    1) You hardly ride, waste the money and it probably becomes a garage queen, which is what I suspect happens to most bicycles sold to first time customers. Thus it actually may be better to get a $400-500 bike which involves less invested to grow out of, or allow to dry rot in storage forever. In any case at least you tried to get a little more active, which is more than can be said for most.
    2) You love it and regret you spent so little on the first bike and need to start saving again.

Either way try not to stress out with analysis paralysis.

mtbr member
    There is a 3rd option as well. Purchase a higher end used bike for your budget or even less. I've had great luck purchasing on here albeit most of the purchases were sight unseen. mtbnj is a local forum with local riders/sellers. The large majority of people who post on there are regulars to the site and are far more likely to ensure there equipment is exactly as its represented. Again, I haven't had one bad experience purchasing on that site.

Just as an FYI, last week I just sold a '09 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29r (29" tire) with 99% of the parts being upgraded (better front fork, carbon bars, hydro brakes, better wheelset, carbon seatpost, upgraded rear der, better crank, and brand new cassette/chain) for $400.00. Bike has been ridden literally 4 times in the past 2 years for I have gone a bit crazy with building new bikes. Good shape with typical marks from trail riding.

My long winded point; $400.00 wouldn't get you anything close to this in a brand new bike. Used bike cons....no warranty.

Good luck and welcome to the life changing fun of MTB'ing.
    Nothing really witty to say..........

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Where do you live ? There are plenty of shops that can set you up at the your price point. Don't rule out any stores or dealers until you spend some time kicking tires. Do some research on the old interweb and then hit a few shops go from there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What's up guys... I'll definitely go check out that place in Hoboken and I'll definitely go check out mtbNJ...

@ RoyFokker, that's what i'm afraid of... Dont' want it to be wasted money and don't want to regret not getting better but i'll never know... Don't want to get into anything rough as I had a disk fusion in the neck area and don't know what punishment my neck can take and don't want to risk it but want something to take around town, through the park, and find some nice lite trails I can take my son... But you guys got me reading and doing my homework and going crazy... Thought it was as easy as buying anything.... Thought, wrong... Lol.

@ Reggie Hammond, there's a new sheriff in town.... Lmao. Lolllllll. And I wish I could find a deal like that... But, i'll definitely look around and definitely check out the LBS...

@ RyderX, I live in Clifton... I went to a LBS in Montclair the other day, great people... They had a X-Cal 8 that I test drove... I felt as if I were riding an 18 wheeler, didn't know these 29'rs were a big ride... It rode ok, but the suspension was a bit bouncy on the street, don't know if I should had the lock out on... But the seat sucked... OMG. And they had a Specialized Hard Rock 29'r in my size ( large ). The Hard Rock actually was a cheaper bike but drove smooth. I guess this was because the suspension was ready for the street. They said they had a Rock Hopper in the warehouse and actually put it together that day after I left so I could go back and test drive it but haven't had a chance due to this darn snow...

So, I kind of don't want to spend much more than my listed price but if I can get a good deal, I would... There's a dude selling a 2014 Cannondale Trail 29er SL 1 on CG and want's $1550 but not willing to go that high... Told him if he'd come down to $1100 i'd take it... Think it's a good bike.

But then for that price I also see the:

Airborne Goblin or RockHopper Comp or Cube LTD 29 Hardtail Bike 2014 or Cannondale Trail SL 29er 3 Bike.

Or for my budget there's the Fuji Tahoe or Airborne Guardian...

See why a newbie would be confused... Lol.. But I thank you guys for taking the time to read and comment on my post...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You should think more in terms of strategies instead of specific specs on this or that bike and going crazy with analysis paralysis. For example:
    1) Are you good mechanically? If so, maybe you should get a better deal on a like new used bicycle and forego a new bicycle.
    2) Do you have space in your room/house for a bicycle stand, specialized tools? If not even if you are a good car mechanic, you just don't have space for that, so maybe lean toward a new bicycle.
    3) How old is your kid? How bad is your spine/neck? Depending on the answer you may even be better off getting a cyclocross bike or something else that will be lighter and more adequate on road pavement so you can do more riding in general. Come to think of it, other then Jorbafest(since discontinued), I never seen a kid on a mountainbike near an actual trail. Even then I never saw a kid on a trail, just on the balance beam.

That is the type of thing to think of. You will not know what bike you will want till you ride a bit and have tried different types of bikes and see where you will be riding and what your damaged neck can handle. Maybe you should look into self massage of trigger points for that:
    Trigger Points- What are they?
    Last edited by RoyFokker; 02-21-2014 at 08:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Want to start biking....

Cycle craft in Parsippany is pretty great. They have close outs that might be in your price range. I bought a 29er there a few years ago and continue to go there for service and other purchases. Great staff who are knowledgeable and willing to help.