mtbr member
    Dec 2007

New question here. Visiting New Jersey...question

We're going to visit New Jersey for x-mas and new years; my family lives in Clifton, NJ and I had a couple of questions.

1. Is it even possible to go MTBing during the month of December? I'm from Florida, that's why I'm asking. Any special clothing I should take other than long sleeves and maybe jeans?
    2. If it's doable to ride during that month, can you guys recommend one or two trails near the city of Clifton (around Sargeant Ave. is where my family lives)?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Ringwood is a 30-min drive north of Clifton. That's your best bet. But check this map for other parks:
    http://www.mtbnj.com/directory.php
    as well as that local forum for more local rides.

It probably won't be too cold in December, but if you've never done cold-weather riding before, poly and wool clothes are better than cotton and jeans any day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    There are a ton of great trails within 40 minutes of where you are staying. Take lots of synthetic layers, as december can get pretty cold. I moved down to FL 4 years ago and man it feels cold when I go home for a visit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yes, you can mountain bike in december. The only time I think you can't mountain bike in NJ is if there is soft snow on the ground. We generally do not get much snow up here (I live about 5 miles from Clifton). My friends and I have been riding all year round 3 times a week, for the last couple of years, the only times we have cancelled has been cuz of soft snow. If the snow freezes over, then it is a blast to ride, it is like riding on concrete, you can go over everything.
    As for clothing (December is a pretty cold month) I suggest:
    Head Warmer or winter bandana that covers your ears underneath helmet.
    Very Warm Winter gloves, or double up a pair of summer gloves.
    Winter BiB
    Long sleave shirt to wear under jacket.
    Winter Cycling Jacket.
    Winter Socks.
    Preferably winter riding boots but if you don't already have a pair I wouldn't buy them just for one visit. They are nice cuz you will hit water in places in the winter and if your feet get wet you will be miserable the rest of the ride. But if your only gonna ride a few times here in NJ in the winter go with whatever shoes you have and kinda tough it out. I find that I only need one jersey under my bike jacket when I mountain bike. I am cold at first but within 5 minutes I feel comforatable. Hope this helps.
    Frank

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eclark7
    There are a ton of great trails within 40 minutes of where you are staying. Take lots of synthetic layers, as december can get pretty cold. I moved down to FL 4 years ago and man it feels cold when I go home for a visit.
    Do you have names for those parks, so I can look them up on google maps?
    Forgive my ignorance...what do you mean by synthetic layers? I take my heavy coats for normal outside walking, but don't really know what you mean by synthetic layers.

mtbr member
    In my opinion, i wouldn't bother. It will be a pain in the butt to bring your bike and it is a good possibility that the conditions won't be rideable. It is warmer here than further inland but it still gets quite cold. You have one of two scenarios, either it won't be freezing cold in which it most likely will be muddy, wet, and very damaging to the trials, or the ground will be frozen, which means it will be very cold. I've lived here for many years and near canada before that where it is considerably colder. Even i find it punishing to ride during the winter, i can't imagine what it would be like for someone coming from Florida. I have a full winter mtb outfit (gloves, booties, etc) and i still find that when i ride in freezing conditions that i'm in h#ll for the first 30-40 minutes, and then after warming up i'm feeling ok and the riding gets a lot better.

Also the trails in that area are very technical with a ton of rock gardens, rock features and grueling climbs. It is one of the best areas around for riding. In the cold conditions and bumps you'll hear your bike make all kinds of funky creeking noises.

I don't mean to be a negative nelly, i'm just trying to give you advice. It is doable, but it won't be easy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edgonz
    Do you have names for those parks, so I can look them up on google maps?
    The link that NJ-XC-Justin posted above is all and more than you could possibly need.

mtbr member
    Ive got to chime in here and say that as another rider from a fairer climate (San Francisco Bay Area) that I LOVE riding in the winter. Especially with a couple inches of snow on the ground. All you need is the right clothing, and if icy you need studded tires. The key is to wear enough clothing that you will be comfortable once you are riding for 10 to 15 minutes wear a good wicking base layer, (cotton is your enemy in winter) a head cover or balaclava, a cycling jacket or a long sleeve jersey, and a wind shell. Dont wear too much clothing cuz you will sweat and soak through, reducing the insulating benefit of that clothing, and you wont be able to stop without freezing your ass off.

Enjoy

danger! danger!
    December's (usually) not so bad; it's January & February and a soggy March that suck.
    I live in Clifton, 5 minutes from Sargeant Ave. shoot me over a PM when you're ready and I'll hook ya up (probably at Ringwood, Jungle Hab or Wawayanda).

KingBean
    I love riding in the winter and in December conditions should be fine, not too cold and not muddy like March after the snow melts. However, you need the right clothing for riding in the cold (already listed here) and coming from Florida you probably don't have any winter clothing which can set you back a lot of coin $$$ you might want to think about that.
    Who knows, judging by the weather pattern in recent years you might get lucky and see 50's in December.
    If you post over at MTBNJ.COM when you are here I am sure you can find a ride you can join.
    Me, I travel south to see family over winter and with time I managed to built a kit (bike, gear, tools, etc) so I dont have to carry anything anymore
    "I'm the Dude! That's what you call me, you know... That or His Dudeness, Duder, El Dudarino..."
    MTBNJ.COM