IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004

Visiting: Blue Mountain or Allamuchy

Hey everyone!

In a week, we're taking a road trip heading on the road for 2 full weeks. We're planning on making a stop in NYC to check out the trails. On our way there, we'd like to spend a day in Northern NJ at those two names came up pretty often...

My girlfriends likes flowy singletrack but can handle anything... She loves Kingdom Trails for exemple but can handle more technical stuff... and since we'll be visiting Vietnam and other more technical area, i want to trip to be a blast for both of us.

So if you had to choose, which woul you go for?

Anywhere i can find a map? GPS data? Something to help me out not getting lost...

Thanks for the help!
    ADSVMQ :: Quebec mountain bike trail advocacy group www.ADSVMQ.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Allamuchy is awesome, but I like blue mountain's singletrack better. I don't believe blue mountain is as big as allamuchy, but it has tons of trails. Whatever you decide you'll have a blast at either park.

mtbr member
    I've only been to Blue once, but I didn't think there were as many trails as in Allamuchy.

If you are looking for an epic Kingdom Trails type ride, with rocks and technical features - I'd go with Allamuchy (north side). If you get through all of those trails, then there is always the Stephens or Deer Park sections of Allamuchy to explore.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    While I love Blue and Allamuchy, I would try Stewart if I were you. It's not far from Blue so distance shouldn't be an issue. I think the trails at Stewart would be more up your alley - a lot more fast and flowing with less elevation change.

Blue and Allamuchy have some very technical trails, which I love, but might not be everyone's cup of tea. Stewart is a blast and is very challenging - the only problem is that there isn't a trail map, so you'd have to find your own way around.

Just my $.02

www.mtbnj.com
    Jul 2005
    Northern NJ Trail Directory:
    http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7

If you post up in the forums on MTBNJ with enough notice, you have a pretty good chance of getting tour guide.

Have fun.

www.mtbnj.com
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Smails
    While I love Blue and Allamuchy, I would try Stewart if I were you. It's not far from Blue so distance shouldn't be an issue. I think the trails at Stewart would be more up your alley - a lot more fast and flowing with less elevation change.

Blue and Allamuchy have some very technical trails, which I love, but might not be everyone's cup of tea. Stewart is a blast and is very challenging - the only problem is that there isn't a trail map, so you'd have to find your own way around.

Just my $.02
    +1 for Stewart, but it is a frustrating place without a guide or map (the same could be said about Allamuchy). Dark Horse Cycles is the LBS near Stewart. Mike and George are great guys, and they have a map at their shop: 845-778-6604. If you go that route, they may be able to arrange a tour for you.

mtbr member
    In my opinon i would suggest that you definitely go with Blue Mountain. As others have said it is smaller, but only really in total park area, but it just jammed packed with awesomeness. Such a nice combo of flow and tech. It is also one of the easiest to navigate without a guide. If you go into Mooch without a guide you won't hit most of the good stuff, and Stewart is one of the most confusing places i've rode, even with a map. Not knocking the mooch or Stewart because they are all so different and cool in their own way.

Stewart has the most flow but most easy to get lost, Mooch has the most miles but hardest to find the good stuff. Blue Mountain was literally built by Mtb'ers for Mtb'ers, but has the most tech. Mooch has some decent tech too.

Blue is like 80% singletrack. With this map you can't go wrong. Make sure you print it before hand as the trail head often runs out. The numbers on the map correspond to numbers on the trail. About 35% of the markers are missing but you can keep going with ease as you will eventually hit one, and you are never really too far from the lot. To me there is nothing more annoying than taking a Mtb road trip to a park and leaving with that feeling that you missed out on the good stuff, that won't happen to you at Blue (make sure you hit MYX and My Favorite Trail). Everything in the middle is cool too.

mtbr member
    Blue Pictures available here, just so you know what you're getting into:
    http://www.bikerag.com/mountain%20bi...%20reviews.htm
    Blue Mountain(lots of pictures)!!!
    Blue Mountain, 3 weeks ago

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Haven't been to Allamuchy, but I can give feedback on both Blue Mt. and Stewart.

Blue Mountain: Constantly technical, including techy climbs, techy downhills, and some big rollers. Lots of rocks, you really need to pick your line well.

Stewart: Not as techy, but much more flowy. Lots of swoopy singletrack with bermed turns that you can just rail. It has technical sections mind you, but whereas Blue Mountain is constantly technical, Stewart has techy sections interspersed between smooth sections of trail. Maps are available at Dark Horse Cycles (located on Rt. 208) but in my experience they aren't entirely necessary. It's tough to get lost at Stewart, you're bordered by major roads and landmarks on every side.

You really can't go wrong at either place.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I Like muchy, muchy fun
    027.jpg
    yes that is part of the trail, and there is so much more!!!
    if your interested, im riding sat 19th 8am off rt 517
    Last edited by scm80; 07-15-2008 at 02:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scm80
    I Like muchy, muchy fun
    027.jpg
    yes that is part of the trail, and there is so much more!!!
    if your interested, im riding sat 19th 8am off rt 517
    Which trail is that? At first I thought it was the last of the rock portion of roly-poly, but it doesn't look like it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I just discovered it, I do belive it is roly poly. if not its candyass.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scm80
    I just discovered it, I do belive it is roly poly. if not its candyass.
    Looking again, I think you're right. It looks like part of that new (at least I hadn't noticed it before) section off to the left after the last short/steep rock face in that beginning section where there's the large rock face that you ride up onto. Fun section...have to try the new part next time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

RP, yes

Quote Originally Posted by ebarker9
    Looking again, I think you're right. It looks like part of that new (at least I hadn't noticed it before) section off to the left after the last short/steep rock face in that beginning section where there's the large rock face that you ride up onto. Fun section...have to try the new part next time.
    Yes its is on the new addition to RP! Kinda fakes you out since you can't see the line over it, slightly to the left.

If you like this type of trail the JORBA TM group for the Park just got approval of the new technical trail located more towrads the Cranberry Lake side of the Park. Work should begin on the this new trail in the fall. Check out www.jorba.org for TM dates!

Hum 8 am on Sat huh???

mtbr member
    Yeah, 8AM is rough, especially if it takes an hour to get there. When do they usually end?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian
    Yeah, 8AM is rough, especially if it takes an hour to get there. When do they usually end?
    Depending on how good I feel, or the group im with, it could be 2 and a half or 3 and a half hours, 16 to 20+ miles or so, depending.
    I start at 517 then ride over to waterloo rd and back