mtbr member

Trail recommendations for Central NJ.

Can anyone recommend any good trails in the Sayreville (central NJ) area?

Thanks

mtbr member
    You'll find lots in the MTBR trail section and here:
    http://www.mtbnj.com/directory.php

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hartshorne, Allaire and maybe Chimney Rock are your best bets; I think all would require a 30 to 40 minute drive though.

i want spring!
    don't forget cheesequake, the shortest drive and set of trails of them all. i use to drive south on 35 to rt 36 to hartshorne, about a 1/2 to 45 minute drive depending on traffic.
    Check out all these mountain biking t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts by Trail Hog today!

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for the info.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    i live in sayreville too during the off season i usually just go where the new horse park is off of bordentown theres some stuff back there and it all basically connects it mostly some motorcross stuff and sometimes it a bit sandy so its a workout but if u can ride that then single track is cake but allaire and cheesequake are also

mtbr member
    I think I'll check out Cheesequake and Allaire for single track. Cheesequake is so close.

Thanks

mtbnj.com
    Quote Originally Posted by pnightshade
    I think I'll check out Cheesequake and Allaire for single track. Cheesequake is so close.

Thanks
    Im in South Amboy right by the skating rink, so I could probably give you the best idea.

I would skip cheesequake unless you are really pressed for time. There is only 1 multiuse trail there and once memorial day comes, unless you know where else to park, you have to pay to get in, and I believe you pay by car, not person.

From my door to Allaire, Clayton, Harthorne, Six mile and Chimney Rock is just about 30 minutes, with Allaire and CR being the quickest because of the lack of traffic lights.

Im a descent guide so if you want a tour let me know.
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

mtbr member
    May 2007

Sayreville open space preserve.

I ride there all the time. I'm technically a noob, though. Mostly I go there because I can get there without putting my bike on the car. Frost Woods in EB is supposed to be okay for beginners (I haven't made it there yet). Like I said, most of the time I'm in the open space preserve. I called the parks department and they said it's okay to ride there. They also said it's about 500 acres, so you've got some room to wander. There's quite a bit of double track, but it's mostly sandy and boring. I wander around in the woods looking for any interesting terrain features I can find. The best I've found are over close to the soccer fields (west of the water lagoons). I haven't run across any defined single track trails back there, though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'm looking for places in Central Jersey as well. That map was a big help. So far I've been to Allaire and Chimney Rock, both kicked my arse. I'm basically looking for something laid back, like a fire trail that my wife and I can ride together... Any ideas? I remember once there was a trail up in Lambertville that follow the DE river... Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

mtbnj.com
    Try the Henry Hudson trail, its a paved multi-use trail that starts in Matawan/Marlboro area, and travels all the way to Sandy Hook. Also try the Manasquan reservoir, thats pretty family friendly.
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdp0430
    I'm looking for places in Central Jersey as well. That map was a big help. So far I've been to Allaire and Chimney Rock, both kicked my arse. I'm basically looking for something laid back, like a fire trail that my wife and I can ride together... Any ideas? I remember once there was a trail up in Lambertville that follow the DE river... Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
    The D&R Canal is pretty much flat and as laid back as you can get. Its not a mtb trail, but more of a multi use double track path. It runs from New Brunswick to New Hope and may be the trail you are refering to in Lambertville.