now a SSchwinger
    Oct 2005

Trail Conditions/Suggestions

Driving down to the Garden State from Ontario for MarchBreak (next week). Visiting family in Hamilton...

Has your snow melted yet?
    What nearby trails would you suggest? (Mercer S.P. looks 2 B the closest) What type of ride should I bring... 6" trailbike or 29er SS?

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Mercer county park is fun, you can get a good 12 plus in if you know where to go.. Snow is already gone, trails should dry quickly, MCP drains well. Xc bike is fine leave the 6" at home for pretty much anything in centall jersey...flat terrain a lot of single speeders not found due to the flatness.

PM me, I'll be riding Saturday morning 3/16 before the trail maintainence session

Other options close to Hamilton are Clayton, small park but some hills, 5 mile plus loop can do a few times. Baldpate may still be wet, drys slowly in the spring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Also check out mtbnj . Com for more local info

now a SSchwinger
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the info and the invite. Hoping to ride midweek.
    We're heading into NYC w/inlaws for a tour & pre-St.Paddy celebrations on Saturday.

'Tis but a scratch
    I live in southern NY and typically ride southern NY and northern NJ, but we are really muddy and still have some snow. In central NJ you may be tempted to check out Sourlands or Six Mile Run. These will both be super muddy at this time of year.

I just rode at Hartshorne Park and Huber Woods today and there is no snow at all and the trails are pretty tight packed. I'm sure that Allaire State Park is also in great shape as it recovers really well. Both of these are listed on MTBNJ with maps and such. If you can't get a map you need, PM me and I'll send you a JPG/PDF.

now a SSchwinger
    Oct 2005
    Rode MCP this afternoon... good times
    Local maintenance crews have done a kick ass job clearing out/rerouting the trail as a result of the devastation last fall.
    Spent most of my time south and east of the boathouse.
    Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwing View Post
    Rode MCP this afternoon... good times
    Local maintenance crews have done a kick ass job clearing out/rerouting the trail as a result of the devastation last fall.
    Spent most of my time south and east of the boathouse.
    Thanks again!
    on behalf of the TM crews, thanks for the compliments- the MCP Jorba TM crew definately worked their a$$e$ off, Mercer was one of the first parks that was cleared out in NJ, we had crews of up to 10+ working every weekend in November and into December. I was only able to attend two of the post Sandy TM sessions at MCP and one at Baldpate due to recovery from october surgery, but the trails were a mess. JORBA (and in particular Mick) is being honored tonight by the West Windsor Bicycle Pedestrian Alliance.

JORBA
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamMuddySprocket View Post
    JORBA (and in particular Mick) is being honored tonight by the West Windsor Bicycle Pedestrian Alliance.
    So true, Mick has worked long and hard at building the great relationship that is enjoyed at Mercer. Kudos to him and the crew, I'm sure it was a lot of hard work.
    Frank Harms
    JORBA President
    frank at jorba.org