The Yard Sale King.

Trail Conditions at Hartshorne

I went for a ride at Hartshorne on Thursday - and, as always, it was a blast. However, I did notice that the trails seem to be getting really beat up this summer (at least compared to last summer). The steep climbs are getting quite eroded, and deep, loose "sand traps" are forming at the bottom of the uphill sections.

So here's the thing - I know Hartshorne has a reputation for getting loose and sandy during the summer, but is this year's wear normal, or is it worse than in previous years? I was thinking that the dry summer, broken only by the occasional torrential downpour, has been bad for sandy Hartshorne. Without regular, steady rains to keep the trails moist without causing too much water erosion, maybe the soil has become too dry, sandy, and loose. What do those with more experience with the place think? Am I being alarmist, or is it in worse shape than usual? I'd hate to see this place (arguably one of the fastest, flowy-est places in NJ) lose its character.

Its seems a real kick in the pants that the weather that has kept most of the trails in NJ in good shape this summer may be responsible for beating up on Hartshorne.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

bad

I'm there alot and it's been getting worse with each of these micro burst storms. What used to be fun-tough little sections are now barely ridable. Was at Allaire today and must say it's the same there too. TM tomorrow am at Allaire and they're doing the best they can do but Hartshorne, which used to be an extremely well kept park, now seems to be terribly neglected.

mtbr member
    Hartshorne is pretty bad this year. All of the sand traps at the bottom of the climbs are getting worse and worse. I ride there 3-5 times a week and there is a huge difference between the conditions in April and August.
    "hit hard, hit fast, hit often HOOAH!!!!"

Blog of mine: http://mtnsprts.blogspot.com

yellowhousegirl

hartshorne today

I rode there this morning and noticed a significant difference in the terrain from the last time I was there which was sometime during the winter. I ride mostly in Morris county and Essex and enjoy taking a drive down to Hartshorne every now and then. Being that you're local from Monmouth county, does the county have a mountain biking association to work on trail maintenance? This exists up here at Lewis Morris one Saturday a month.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Smile tm needed at hartshorne & allaire

This is my first year riding Hartshorne, but have been on it every week since April and it has gotten worse. This years ample rains has eroded other trails such as Allaire as well. These two areas are more sandy than other trails like CR, and LM. Trails like Hartshorne & Allaire need 2x the amount of trial maintence than more stable soil/rocky sites.
    The fact that we observe riding conditions worsen and have had our quality of ride go down in these parks should be motivation for us to do somthing about it. I plan to volunteer for Trail maitnenence at each park. I know Allaire has the dates posted on the bulletin board on the Hospital rd. lot.
    help make it mo better

JORBA

excellent post!!!!

Thank you Poor Iggy for that excellent reply. That is exactly the case. Allaire and Hartshorne have been hit by a few nasty storms this summer and your help is appreciated. You can go to www.jorba.org to find out TM info.
    Frank Harms
    JORBA President
    frank at jorba.org

mtbr member
    I rode at Hartshorne yesterday and it looks like someone went through some of the bad/overgrown sections and really cleared it up. Things were looking much better

mtbr member

Pick up a shovel....

I see a lot of people posting about trail conditions but not one (except Frank) who actually do anything. TM is not meditation....

Chris

mtbr member

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by theferralkid
    I see a lot of people posting about trail conditions but not one (except Frank) who actually do anything. TM is not meditation....

Chris
    you are right about that... I talked to Frank about TM at Hartshorne and I didn't know how difficult it is when trying to coordinate an event with the county. I didn't even see a posting on Jorba about TM at Hartshorne