RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Toxic Legacy - Ramapo documentary

I watched this several years ago and thought it was well done. I thought some fellow documentary addicts might like to give it a look.

Toxic Legacy - The Record
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    HBO had a documentary last year called Mann vs Ford. Very sad to see this type of thing happen.

Ghost Rider
    I purchased the DVD. It is very sad... and that they got away with it is infuriating. I don't think I will ever purchase another Ford because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by pixy View Post
    HBO had a documentary last year called Mann vs Ford. Very sad to see this type of thing happen.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyL358 View Post
    I purchased the DVD. It is very sad... and that they got away with it is infuriating. I don't think I will ever purchase another Ford because of it.
    Yeah, sorry to be a downer! As sad a this stuff is I ultimately prefer knowing.

So Manny, I usually have the same thoughts after seeing this stuff, "never buy Ford!". Then sadly, I realize they are all the same, it's just that we heard about what Ford did.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Just to put it in perspective, there are numerous other contaminated sites in NJ that pose a far greater risk to human health and the environment... this particular site just gets more press because of a very active community that has raised public awareness....

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by schneidw View Post
    Just to put it in perspective, there are numerous other contaminated sites in NJ that pose a far greater risk to human health and the environment... this particular site just gets more press because of a very active community that has raised public awareness....
    lol... Sounds like a Stephen Colbert bit. "USA ! USA! USA!" I know what you mean though. You are absolutely right. Check out the map of superfund sites by state if you really want to ruin your day.

ugh, I swear I really am a pretty happy guy. This stuff gets me fired up though.

- Rob

mtbr member
    Anyone have the link to the google maps version?

I recall seeing a map that you can actually see the superfund affected boundaries (not that water runoff or wind affects surrounding areas too)

Is there small level radioactive waste from Indian Point there somewhere also?

Makes me want to put on my aluminum-tin foil hat
    Last edited by XCProphet; 07-17-2012 at 05:56 PM.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    I don't think this is what you were after but it's pretty insane. The National Priorities List. Yeah, the tri-state area is under there somewhere...

http://www.epa.gov/superfund/sites/q...m/nplmapsb.htm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    I don't think this is what you were after but it's pretty insane. The National Priorities List. Yeah, the tri-state area is under there somewhere...

NPL Map | National Priorities List (NPL) | US EPA
    Thanks!

Ahh..New jersey...The "TRUE" Garden State

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I know this is an old thread, but, I share the same feelings as Rob, this stuff gets me pretty mad.

I live in Ramsey, a town over from Mahwah for those of you know don't know. Looking through that whole website/page has really opened my eyes to the real scale of this mess. I always knew Ford dumped their crap all over northern NJ, and I know where most of the sites are, since they are all pretty close. What I didn't know and what I found most interesting was the bit about the "Meadows". I have been there numerous times with the 4x4. I never knew there were houses there, there are no remains what-so-ever. I don't know where they would have been except for a strip of elevated ground that runs through the middle. I have seen the area flooded by the Ramapo River, and when I mean flooded I mean the WHOLE thing is under probably 5-6' of water. I am just astounded how much sh!t they actually dumped there, I've had that mud all over me and my truck... Not to mention all the riding I do in Mahwah and Ringwood.

Kind of reminds me of this scene from Seinfeld
    Kramer into the apartmant toxic gas !! (legendado portugues) - YouTube
    "The sound of a car door opening in front of you is similar to the sound of a gun being cocked."