mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Tires you use on NJ Trails?

What tires do you think works best on NJ trails? Front and Rear.

I'm talking about the Lewis Morris Trail, Patriots, or Six-Mile Trails.

mtbr member
    I bought a bunch of Intense Tires from Jenson when they were onsale. I use Single-ply 909's on my Jamis Dakar XLT and ride Hartshorne and Lewis Morris with great results, but they are little heavy but worth it in the grip department. Also, have the Intense Edge Single ply on my other bike, another great tire. On my wife's I put Intense System 4 2.25, they are a bit lighter than mine and have great grip in the dry, rocks and roots. They do packup with mud though and are big in volume for a 2.25. Lastly, I use 909 and Invaders on my bike for Mountain creek, they grip like mad. Over the years I have used many brands, but I happen to go back to intense, YMMV.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Byako View Post

6MR isn't too demanding, except when it rains and it gets clay muddy.

LewMo.. isn't too demanding on tires either...

Patriot's Path... is the least demanding of them all...

The Sourlands... (near 6MR) seems (to me) to be very rocky & rooty, so it puts a different demand on tires.

...but for the most part, for the trails you listed, a fast rolling - low knob height tires are suited....

what I have?
    Front: Spec The Captain Control
    Rear: Spec Renegade Control
    tubeless for both

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    run what ya got as long as they roll.. L0L
    Last edited by trlrdr; 08-10-2012 at 02:55 AM.
    trlridr

mtbr member
    WTB Veloci-Raptors on all my bikes for all Jersey trails.
    "When life gives you lemons, I say F@#% the lemons and bail."

mtbr member

First I want to start by pointing out that the trails you mention are not all the same. Lewis Morris and Patriots Path are pretty much interchangeable since they run into each other.

Fairly standard East Coast stuff, but nothing too technical.

In my experience, Six Mile Run consists of finer reddish brown dirt that tends to be slippery when dry and sticky when wet. My bike is either covered in dust or tacky mud when I finish a ride there.

With that said, I have had great luck with Maxxis Ardent's 26 x 2.25 in all of the locations you mentioned as well as Ringwood and many other trails in NJ / NY.

I have a second set of wheels with WTB Weirwolf 2.3's on them and even though they ride differently, they have fared well on these trails as well.

I have also used Panaracer Fire XC pros (2.1) extensively in both Lewis and Patriots as well as Ringwood and they shined in pretty much every condition I rode them in.

Unfortunately, the 2.3 size in that tire are fairly heavy, so I haven't bought a set for my new bike as of yet.

All of the tires I have mentioned can be used both front and rear. I honestly have never cared for front / rear specific tires.

As of now, the Ardent's are the best all around tire I have used. I highly recommend them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'll 2nd the Maxxis Ardents (2.4 though) as a good all round tire, but I find it a little sketchy when it gets wet for a couple days, I usually swap out for something with a sticky compound f/r or just front when I'm lazy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Great to see some discussion on this. Been looking at trying some new tires for my new Trek. I ride Lewis Morris, Patriot's and Tourne mostly so this thread was perfect.

After reading comments here and several reviews on Amazon i ordered an Ardent for the front and an Advantage for the rear, both 2.25. I feel like front and rear should be different, but i don't have enough experience to make a real case. Can't wait to see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I run Maxxis Ignitors in front and rear - tubeless. I ride 6-mile, CR, Mooch...and have no gripes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    45Nrth Husker Du 26 x 4.0 front & rear.

45NRTH

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    btt

mtbr member
    Conti x king protection 29x2.2 f
    Racing Ralph 29x2.25 r

Ride mostly six mile, allaire, Rutgers Eco preserve

Happy with the setup now, might put a maxxis ardent up front for the winter

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupob6 View Post
    Conti x king protection 29x2.2 f
    Racing Ralph 29x2.25 r

Ride mostly six mile, allaire, Rutgers Eco preserve

Happy with the setup now, might put a maxxis ardent up front for the winter
    I have been happy with my Ardents for both front and rear. One thing to make note of is that they have fairly thin sidewalls. I pinch flat the rear all the time. Bought the stuff I need to convert to Stan's. Just need to find some time to convert them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    2nd on the FireXC pro's. While I have ridden them at 6 mile and LeMo, those are not my local trails. My local trails are Mooch North, DP, SSP and KVSP. While they dont excel at any one thing they do good in everything.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I used to ride a cross bike (i.e. road bike with wider tires) in Lewis Morris and the Patriots Path. Worked great for PP, LM was a little rough. In other words, you can use anything there. Don't get caught up in brands. Best tire for those areas will have just a little tread. Those are fast parks so you want to keep down the rolling resistance.

mtbr member

Schwabe Racing Ralph

For the three trails you mentioned, I run the Schwabe Racing Ralph tubeless at 25 psi on my steel hardtail. Excellent and fast tires for those conditions.

At Mahlon Dickerson and other more technical places, I use Schwabe Nobby Nic's, also tubeless & 25 psi, on my Giant Trance FS. Not as fast but larger knobs if needed.

Both sets of tires are 2.25.

If you ride smooth, the Racing Ralphs would probably work most places.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

I'm a big fan of "slant six" by Kenda. They are a step below the really fast rolling "small block eights". I'm also riding DHF/DHR Minon free ride tires at 2.35 on my trail bike during the leafy autumn and muddy spring months. But in the summer/dusty months definitely Slant Six. Both I run at 26-27PSI.