Thread: tires - flats

mtbr member
    May 2004

tires - flats

I started riding Nevegals on my new Yeti ASR and have flatted in 3 of my last 3 races here in northern New Jersey! One thru the sidewall and 2 thru the tread. Do you guys have similar problems or is it simply my bad luck? I used to ride Baros Marathons and didn't have so many flats.

What tire do you all like for wet climbing, speed, and few flats? IE: What's the perfect tire?

mtbr member

No flats in three years

I have Nevagal 2.1 DTC on my Trance and 2.5/2.35 Stick-E on a Chameleon and have not flatted in the three or more years I've been running the tire. Your weight, psi and riding style are going to greatly effect your experience with any tire. I weight about 186 lbs, (or less) run 30 psi and ride mostly North Jersey and Eastern PA XC singletrack. Lots of rocks but few, if any, intentional drops or jumps.

I have found that the 2.1 DTC is a very different tire than the wider Stick-E which, while stable in the wet, are quite slow.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I weigh 175 and have been running 37.5 psi with Stans NoTubes. I will try reducing the pressure but on my last bike (Trek Fuel) and various tires the lower pressure felt like the sidewalls were folding over. Frankly I liked Barros Marathon Tubeless tires cause the sidewalls are beefier however I am also trying to keep the weight down. Like I said, I'm looking for the perfect tire / holy grail.

mtbr member

No chemicals nor Stans for me.......

Doesn't Stans void the warranty on Kenda tires? I think you just stated the reason for your flats. Tubes for me any day.

lotto baby
    i've been riding the same pair of nevegals for some time (with tubes) - no issues here at all.
    i spurt in the wind, and the wind drug it