mtbr member

Tire combinations, what are people here ridin?

Anybody tried the GEAX saguaro or the Kenda SB8 around here? What are you guys ridin? I do mostly single track here(SOUTH jersey) and in Virginia, tends to be mostly hard pack(sometimes with a loose coat on top) with some moist-muddy spots.
    Rob D

mtbr member
    I haven't tried either of the tires you mentioned but I'm really curious about the SB8. I ride Nevegals front and back. I do love them cause they just seem to stick to everything whether its wet, dry, muddy, rocky or whatever. But they are SLOW rolling and kind of heavy. I'm thinking of giving the SB8's a try just to see if their a little faster rolling.

lotto baby
    i'm all nevegal now... but i also used to ride the panaracer fire xc - worked great for a lot of places and you can find it cheap.
    i spurt in the wind, and the wind drug it

mtbnj.com
    I have used all of the following within the last year and cant really say anything bad about any of them. Keep in mind these are all 29er:

Nevegals
    exiwolfs
    rampage
    pythons
    ignitors

I acquired a set of SB8's today but will be awhile before I can try them out.
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

JORBA

WTBs

Tried the Nevegals and the Rampages...both ok but I went back to Weirwolf tires on my 26er. My 29er has Exiwolf's and I'm often surprised at the grip they have.
    Frank Harms
    JORBA President
    frank at jorba.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Im running Maxxis Ignitors 2.35 LUST tubeless on Mavic CrossMax SLs....ride northern NJ no problem...Rolls nice and grips well too.

mtbr member

Tires

I've tried them all and I think I'm pretty happy now. Running WTB Prowlers 2.5 front & rear. I might finally switch the front to the WTB Weirwolf LT however. Overall they are fantastic tires. They grip and rip. Kenda makes a great tire which everyone seems to run with but they are a bit pricey, slow and heavy. Everyone I know thats tried the Prowlers couldnt be happier.

WooHoo Biking!!!!
    I am a big fan of the Panaracer Fire FR 2.4. They are very sticky. I have Nevegals on my current bike because it came with them, but I am going to switch to the Panaracers soon.

mtbr member
    WTB Velociraptors do the trick for me. Panaracer Fire XC worked ok for me, but the back tire was not as grippy and would often spin on hard uphill pedals.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I've been ridin' Geax Baro Marathons, standard up front and the TNT for the rear (stiffer sidewalls) all with Stan's System - love em'

mtbr member

Finally got em

I ended up going with the Panaracer Fire XC in the back and i threw a Panaracer Dart Classic in the front, the improvement over my stock Bont. Jones tires is incredible. The Dart holds so well on all the switchbacks and quick turns even in looser terrain. And the fire XC climbs about 100x better. I would have gone for the nevegals but the $$$ turned me away.

Thanks for all your help.
    Rob
    Rob D

mtbr member

Different tires for different bikes

First off, I ride the normal rocky North Jersey terrain.

Giant Trance (FS) - 2.1 DTC Nevagal front & back
    Santa Cruz Chameleon (HT) - 2.5 StickE Nevagal front, 2.35 StickE Nevagal rear
    Independent Fabrication Delux (HT) - 2.0 Hutchinson Piranha, front & rear

That's it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I ride SJ, Philly area, DE/MD areas. On the C'dale Prophet been using Nevegal 2.1 UST's since April. As has been said before, heavy and rolling issues, but can't be beat for traction. Wear quick too. On my hardtail, which I use mostly for road/offroad town park rides, I've got Panaracer Fire XC 2.1. Traction is good, but for me, seem a little narrow. I have a Maxxis High Roller UST 2.1 and and Ignitor UST 2.1. Plan to try that combo over the winter with HR on front and Ignitor on rear.

FIX IT YOURSELF
    Summer....Schwalbe Racing Ralph's upfront and Kenda Small Block Eights in the back

Winter....Conti Mountain Kings front and Back--- 2.4 up front 2.2 in the rear
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    In the front I have kenda nevegal 2.35, in the back I have been running specialized eskar 2.3. I change up my tire combinations like shirts. I get bored easily I guess.

mtbr member
    sb8 is ALOT faster rolling than the nevegal. A lot faster than anything mentioned in this thread so far. They are also horrible in sketchy terrain, off camber turns, wet roots/rocks.

I run the michelin xc dry2 and they are awesome. Pretty minimal tread height, but spaced far enough apart to shed mud and grab onto roots and uneven terrain. Also light and fairly inexpensive.

mtbr member
    our crew loves maxxis high rollers front and back

i just tried conti mtn king 2.4s and whilst light they don't grip as well as high rollers on off camber rocks, roots and in the wet...this is on 5 to 6.5" travel 26ers FWIW