Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Thinking of going to Diablo

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  theferralkid 
#1 ·
Anyone have experience there? The only lift-served downhill I've done was at Keystone in Colorado. That was fairly intense.

The thing that concerns me about Diablo is it's mostly black diamonds. At Keystone, even the blues were pretty damn challenging. The blacks were way above my level.

How difficult is Diablo in general?

The other mountain I'm considering as an alternative is Hunter.

#3 ·
I went there about a month ago. It was fun considering I am a beginner mountain biker and was riding an XC bike with little travel. The funny thing about this place is the blue trail was the hardest thing I have ever done, anywhere. The double black which is considered a jump trail was the most fun as was the twisty trail down the middle which the lift travels over. If you ask the locals about it and tell them your ability level they will help you out. Everyone there was very helpful and nice there so I am sure you will have fun.

#4 ·
Don't Let The Diamonds Scare You!

Diablo is a great place to go and spend the day riding down the mountain. Just like PABikerchick stated the Black and Double Black Diamonds are 'easier' trails. Easier in the sense that they are NOT rock littered, slick rock and narrow bridges. The Diamond trails are very fast, steep, have jumps and some rock sections but are much smoother, wider and flow like water. They are very demanding trails and command respect because speed will overcome you in no time. If you go, you'll find out what I'm talking about. Go if you can. Check out their website for more info. The place is amazing and you'll have a great time!

#6 ·
Diablo

You will be fine start off taking a right when you get off lift head all the way tom the right. you can take the blue trails which will lead you to a fire road the take lower dominion which has big table tops you can slow down and just roll over them. Then take upper break out which has good flow with a small rock section, then take alpine or domboo down from there. Those are pretty easy runs. Stay away from the runs on the left side of the mountain.

#7 ·
I went to Hunter that weekend instead. It was OK. Not many trails. The guide took us down blues and blacks. There was no real difference in difficulty between the two. There were a couple very steep sections in the beginning, but the rest was very easy. Some of the lower trails were way too tight for my tastes. Had to try not to catch the handlebars on a set of trees.

I took a good fall in their "freeride" park, which was kind of lame in itself, on a log that was a bit sandy. Didn't take it with enough speed (I was going slow because of the tightness) and pulled a muscle in my back. I was out for the rest of the day and sore for a few days after.

I will be going to Catamount in MA next as they have free downhill Saturdays for their opening. I'm sure I will make it to Diablo at least once.

#8 ·
Don't waste your time at those other places....

Hit Diablo...it's got a ton of terrain for every level and if your on a bullit you can ride most everything. There are a few very large drops but you can always go around them. There are some wedge jumps that are real easy and some large rollers that are way fun. If your not sure about a line just get off your bike and wait a few minutes for someone to ride by and show you the line. If you don't have any armour I would rent it along with a full face helmet and you will feel alot better about some of those rock gardens.
I used to ride some of blue trails on my Blur with no armour at all and a XC helmet!!! I got smart and bought a V10 and a lot of pads and it's a lot more fun even if I can huck the 40' drops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.