lotto baby

it sure ain't fruita but...

well i'm out in south bend, indiana this week for work, and instead of flying out, i drove it and took the bike along to see if i can knock another state off the list for riding. well after a brush with a tornado (one was literally across the street from me on tuesday - thats about as close i ever want to get to one ever again), i finally got out to try some midwest trails.

i was totally surprised at how hilly the trail was. lots of quick ups and downs. it was a lot like a hartshorne/lewis morris mix, same ups and downs, same soil types, just the hills were really short.

the trail design was awesome. they pulled 6 miles out of a park probably 1/3 the size of chimney rock. the trails were really tight and packed in on each other. there were lots of switchbacks, tight blind turns, no fall-line stuff, lots of cutting across what hills they have to work with to get the most out of them. they also had some serious freeride stuff built up ( i stay away from that stuff myself). good stuff tho.

so if you are ever stuck in the midwest in northern indiana - you do have some riding thats pretty fun, just watch for the pitch black wall clouds - they can do some damage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

it's just baby phat..
    nice pics and nice bike. when are we riding?

phat

lotto baby
    thanks man - i just started talking about that for this weekend - it looks like we are in for some rain this weekend - we were thinking somewhere down south if it gets pretty wet out (allaire? hartshorne?)

i'll be back in town this weekend - you have any riding plans for the weekend?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Where were these trails? I went to college in South Bend and in 1995 the only riding I found were some trails in an old dump site. Slim pickens back then, glad to see that there is more going on now.

lotto baby
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Smails
    Where were these trails? I went to college in South Bend and in 1995 the only riding I found were some trails in an old dump site. Slim pickens back then, glad to see that there is more going on now.
    this was in rum village park (actually the rum village park annex) - i took michigan south from notre dame campus through downtown, and took a right onto ewing, it took just about 10 minutes to get to.