MaverickMotoMedia.com

No good Stravatards at 6 Mile Run...

Had an encounter with a Strava-tard last thursday evening. I was climbing a hill on the orange trail, heading back to the rt 27 lot at Six Mile Run, I had a guy, dressed in dark clothing coming at at me at rapid speed. I held my line, as the ascending rider, I had the right of way. As he approached, I politely mentioned that there was one bike behind me. He muttered something angrily as he sped past and seemed more than a little bent out of shape. 100 feet later he came upon my buddy, who was riding with his 2-1/2 year-old daughter, lost control while braking and nearly collided with them. He then proceeded to get upset with them for being in his way and not making themselves known. For the record, they were wearing bright clothing and were very visible.

What kind of asshat goes out and tries to get a KOM at 6:00 in the evening, when the trails are full of people out for an after-work ride? I use Strava regularly, but I would never even think of riding in an out of control manner in an attempt to set a personal record and put others in harms way. If you wanna do that crap, do at at 6 am when nobody's on the trail.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    That really sucks Gigantic. Six Mile is where I first brought my son on his push style bike and he had a blast...it was a fight to get him to turn around and head back to the car...(I think we let him eat too many Clif Bloks that day!)

I hope I would have been able to maintain composure in that sort of situation. Probably the only thing that would keep me from choking the tool to within an inch of his arrogant life would have been the presence of my son, ironically.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I regret that I wasn't more aware that day. I would have really liked to have shoulder checked him or put a stick through his spokes...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yeah, the shoulder check might have done the trick, but, unless you are a brick schit house yourself, I think physics was on his side from your description. Probably would have wrecked the both of you, and for that I'd have to commend you with honor.

I just don't get dudes like that. I like to open up the throttle myself, but I always feel it is my responsibility to keep alert of others on the trail and slow down if I need to. You know, nod, say "Hi, how are ya?" etc. My feeling is is people can't say anything bad about me as a mountain biker if I am being courteous.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I'm 6'8" & 250 pounds. Physics is my friend (unless I'm crashing). :-D

I say hi to everyone on the trails for the same reason. If a hiker makes room for me, you're damn right I'm thanking them for it! We come under attack too often, so I go out of my way to leave a good impression, which makes riders like this asshat so infuriating.

mtbr member
    How do you know he was using Strava?

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdan View Post
    How do you know he was using Strava?
    Yea he could have been a MapMyRidiot, a MyTrackshole, or a Endomondumbass.
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

mtbr member
    So all wreckless riders always use GPS tracking devices in your estimation? Fascinating concept...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I was thinking the same thing. How do you know if he was a stravatard (love that new word by the way) or just a plain old a$$hole.

If he was Gpsing though, Strava is most likely because its the only one that automatically ranks your times against your previous runs and other's. I also say hi to everyone when mtb riding and I am just not a good enough rider to ever think of going for time on the trail(I'd just hurt myself), but I have to admit to nearly giving myself a coronary on the road while trying to beat my previous times on various Strava segments.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Actually, it was his b¡tching about killing his KOM run after he nearly ran over my buddy and his 2 year-old daughter that gave it away.

Perpetual n00b

Re: Stravatards at 6 Mile Run...

It is really hard to KOM when people interrupt you.
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    I'm 6'8" & 250 pounds. Physics is my friend (unless I'm crashing). :-D

I say hi to everyone on the trails for the same reason. If a hiker makes room for me, you're damn right I'm thanking them for it! We come under attack too often, so I go out of my way to leave a good impression, which makes riders like this asshat so infuriating.

Ha!!! You ARE a brick schit house, LMAO! That would have definitely done the trick! (I know this is a late response, been busy as all get out)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I use STRAVA, especially at 6M. But it's just for ME. I just got into mtb and have been trying to get in shape and keep a personal record of my times on my rides. Not trying for any KOM or Best Of accolades, just wanna know if I'm getting better for myself and more so keep track of miles riden. And for Gigantic, you're a big fellow hard to miss coming or going no matter what the speed of the rider. My friend I ride with is 6'6" and 350(loss 15lbs) and I'm 6'1"@265(also loss 15lbs), so like said we CAN'T be missed on the trails. So far we've had no such instances and most likely won't once they see a group of 250+lbs over 6' riders on the path...LOL

singletrak junkie
    I say hello to anyone I cross paths with and give a thank you to anyone who is allowing me to go ahead. I tend to look ahead while riding and as soon as I spot anyone, I pull over and let them pass. Most folks are pleasant . I like STRAVA to score my progress and to see how fast others are going. Love going fast too, but proper trail etiquette makes my life easier. I'm another clyde, 6'2 & down to 270 lb . Some people are just always angry I notice.
    "do it in the dirt "

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by spk1264 View Post
    I say hello to anyone I cross paths with and give a thank you to anyone who is allowing me to go ahead. I tend to look ahead while riding and as soon as I spot anyone, I pull over and let them pass. Most folks are pleasant . I like STRAVA to score my progress and to see how fast others are going. Love going fast too, but proper trail etiquette makes my life easier. I'm another clyde, 6'2 & down to 270 lb . Some people are just always angry I notice.
    You sound like me. Except for the STRAVA and the clyde part . I agree with that observation about some people just being angry. I tend to find that at Wiss mostly. Mostly runners. Most others are pleasant enough. Some cyclists have the 'chip' too, and ironically they're generally the biggest knob-end, dork type. Guess they have to uphold that 'cooler than you' persona...

Redcoat
    Nothing wrong with tracking your routes, times via GPS. It comes down to the mentality of the person, not the fact they want to be able to go over the awesome ride they just had. Just dont be an idiot and try to break your, PBs when theres loads of traffic like said incident.

Manners cost nothing, rudeness does.