mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Stolen Bike Netcong NJ

This is a cross post from the Team Bulldog forum:

hey guys, just want to put the word out... my buddy's bike was stolen last night (8/16) at the el coyote in netcong. it's a new polished aluminum giant trance x (i'm sure there's no others in the area yet). it's got sram X0 trigger shifters (the one on the left side is broken), grey mavic crossmax sx wheels and a 6" black rock shock fork (not sure what model). anyway, if you can keep a lookout on the trails, ebay etc and spread the word that'd be great.
    thanks[/b]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RyderX
    This is a cross post from the Team Bulldog forum:

hey guys, just want to put the word out... my buddy's bike was stolen last night (8/16) at the el coyote in netcong. it's a new polished aluminum giant trance x (i'm sure there's no others in the area yet). it's got sram X0 trigger shifters (the one on the left side is broken), grey mavic crossmax sx wheels and a 6" black rock shock fork (not sure what model). anyway, if you can keep a lookout on the trails, ebay etc and spread the word that'd be great.
    thanks[/b]

The Trance X is a new model, so there aren't that many of them out there. It looks like this, with the exception of the fork:
    Trance-X0-Silver-Anodized.jpg

Also, from what I understand, the bike in question does not have any Bike Shop label on it.

mtbr member
    that would be jeffs bike really sucks. hopefully it will show up.

mtbr member
    wow that bike is a beau, sorry to hear, will keep an eye out
    Trek 4300 to destroy as fast as I can.

mtbr member
    Good advice that I have gotten from a couple of LBS's is to put your business card inside the seat post, and in your handle bars. Anytime they get a bike in for repairs, tune ups etc. they always look in there when the bike and the rider don't really seem to match up.

Also, make sure you write down you serial numbers. They can check those with the local PD if it has been reported stolen. While I know this doesn't guarantee you get your bike back, it definitely betters you odds. I know it's too late for your buddy, but he (as well as anyone reading this post) should do this on all their bikes. I've personally have had 2 bikes stolen from my garage prior to me learning about these tips, and without SN's they never found them. All my bikes are stuffed with my business cards now!

Cheers!

mtbr member

Fork was a RS Lyrik.

I met Jeff in the parking lot at Mahlon Dickerson for the first time a couple weeks ago. We rode together briefly but he being younger and fitter than me soon left me in the dust.

Sorry to hear of the bike getting stolen. Since I ride a '07 Trance I took special interest in the Trance X model.

I'll keep an eye out for it.

www.mtbnj.com
    Jul 2005
    putting business cards in the seat post is a real good tip

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr0101
    putting business cards in the seat post is a real good tip
    I like the idea of a cell phone activated explosive charge under the seat instead.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The explosives might damage the bike. How about high voltage electricity?

Sorry for the hijacking. I hope you get your ride back, it sounds pretty sweet.
    Last edited by crash_in_nj; 08-21-2007 at 03:37 PM.
    I love my mtb. It helps me see the world in beautiful colors. Like brown, blue, brown, blue, brown, blue...

mtbr member
    i personally have my name and a "special word" folded in a peace of paper that i stuff into my top tube on each bike. if it is recovered i can just say in the top tube there is a paper with my name and "random word". its just a pain to fish out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Allamuchy Joe
    I like the idea of a cell phone activated explosive charge under the seat instead.
    that was the funniest thing i've read in a while. the trance x is a pretty high profile bike, if you get the word around enough i dont think it would take too long before someone spots it in a bike shop or on the trails.