mtbr member

New question here. Sterling Forest Trails

Has anyone heard of any rumors regarding the creation of trails at Sterling Forest? Just curious cause it would be great to have a new park with fresh new trails to ride in.

thanks

vgt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weez
    Has anyone heard of any rumors regarding the creation of trails at Sterling Forest? Just curious cause it would be great to have a new park with fresh new trails to ride in.

thanks

I did not hear that...the only trails I know about are the hiking only trails....of which there are many. Not too many people hike them though....it is a shame. For the most part the only trail people use over there is the one that basically circles the lake. It would be nice if the rest of them were open to bikers....since the hikers hardly use them.

Problem over there is the ticks....there are a ton in that area for some reason.

VGT

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yes, mountain bikers (RVCC) have been involved with the park planning at Sterling. It has not been officialled opened up yet. Soon, we hope.

Ellen

vgt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pixy
    Yes, mountain bikers (RVCC) have been involved with the park planning at Sterling. It has not been officialled opened up yet. Soon, we hope.

Ellen

Nice. Are you talking about building new trails for mtbers or are they going to allow bikers on the existing trails? Either way....nice...and about time they came to their senses. I took my dog over there....the trails are marked....but the trails I hiked with the dog had not seen any foot traffic for ages....it seemed. My point is.....all that land was put aside and protected.....yet hikers barely even use it. Waste. They all should be multi use trails up there....with the exception being the trail that circles the lake....they can keep that foot traffic only.

Just my two cents.

VGT

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vgt
    Nice. Are you talking about building new trails for mtbers or are they going to allow bikers on the existing trails? Either way....nice...and about time they came to their senses. I took my dog over there....the trails are marked....but the trails I hiked with the dog had not seen any foot traffic for ages....it seemed. My point is.....all that land was put aside and protected.....yet hikers barely even use it. Waste. They all should be multi use trails up there....with the exception being the trail that circles the lake....they can keep that foot traffic only.

Just my two cents.

VGT
    Can't say for sure that there will be any new trails allowed to be built in there because of all the endangered rattlesnakes that live around there. Hopefully we'll be able to gain access and start fixing the existing trails, which could be good. We are in favor of multi-use, but hikers are still pushing separate use. Funny that you should mention the lake trail, because that was the one trail the park suggested to be multi-use. Lucky that they asked mountain bikers to be part of the trail accesment and listen to our thoughts.

Some day we dream about connecting trails from Sterling to Ringwood State Park and to Ramapo State Forrest. It could be a 50 mile loop. Some day.... maybe.

mtbr member

Wow

A 50 mile loop. Move over, so I may pray next to you

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I am the NY State Trails Council Delegate and at our last meeting, we talked about access for mountain biking at Sterling Forest.

NY State Parks has ordered over 200 copies of IMBA's "Trail Solutions" books for each park manager and they had the IMBA Trail Care Crew come teach each state park region how to build sustainable mountain bike trails and describe what types of experience mountain bikers are looking for. Good news but NY State Parks move at a glacial pace.

I'm glad to hear RVCC is actively involved in the planning process.

Look at Grafton Lakes State Park as a model of success for new mountain bike trails in a NY State Park.

If you guys need any help...let me know (pm me)...I am also the IMBA NY Rep.

Happy Trails,

Michael Vitti
    CLIMB President
    IMBA NY Rep

vgt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pixy
    Can't say for sure that there will be any new trails allowed to be built in there because of all the endangered rattlesnakes that live around there. Hopefully we'll be able to gain access and start fixing the existing trails, which could be good. We are in favor of multi-use, but hikers are still pushing separate use. Funny that you should mention the lake trail, because that was the one trail the park suggested to be multi-use. Lucky that they asked mountain bikers to be part of the trail accesment and listen to our thoughts.

Some day we dream about connecting trails from Sterling to Ringwood State Park and to Ramapo State Forrest. It could be a 50 mile loop. Some day.... maybe.

That would be incredible. Access to that type of loop would be a ton of fun. With the problems with video game generation which catagorizes most of the younger generations (for reference I am 35), having these trails could lure them out of the house. I seriously don't see kids "getting into" hiking like I see them interested in mountain biking. It is just the truth....they want more excitement than just walking in the woods. The older generation hikers refuse to see this. Refuse. I know this because I volunteered for the NYNJ Trail Conference for a quite a while and witnessed their close mindedness when it came to biking. No matter what anybody would say positively about mountain biking...they just would not listen. It was very frustrating...as I love to both mountain bike and hike. My point is.....if the hikers and bikers as well as horse-back riders don't stop quarreling amongst each other....more and more open space will be delveloped. It would be a much more powerful voice against development of open space lands with bikers, hikers and horse-bak riders speaking as one for the creation of multi use trails, which, in my opinion, help the very serious problem with obessity and apathy with younger generations in the state / country.

I just don't get why this doesn't happen. Some people are so stubborn.

VGT

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sick4surf
    I am the NY State Trails Council Delegate and at our last meeting, we talked about access for mountain biking at Sterling Forest.

NY State Parks has ordered over 200 copies of IMBA's "Trail Solutions" books for each park manager and they had the IMBA Trail Care Crew come teach each state park region how to build sustainable mountain bike trails and describe what types of experience mountain bikers are looking for. Good news but NY State Parks move at a glacial pace.

I'm glad to hear RVCC is actively involved in the planning process.

Look at Grafton Lakes State Park as a model of success for new mountain bike trails in a NY State Park.

If you guys need any help...let me know (pm me)...I am also the IMBA NY Rep.

Happy Trails,

Michael Vitti
    CLIMB President
    IMBA NY Rep
    Hi Michael,

Thank you for your response. I think they will be interested in getting the IMBA trail crew in there as soon as it is officially open. It just seems to be taking a long time.

Looking forward to contacting you soon.

Ellen White
    RVCC
    JORBA