Make some music
    Sep 2004

Stephens State Park Ride Sat. 9-8 10:00am

Stephens State Park Sat. 9-8 10:00am, Rollout 10:15

Check out Stephens, a different piece of Allamuchy. Lots of new riding for most of us. Alot of recent work has been done to the trails.

15 to 18 miles. Moderate easy pace, gonna keep it rolling and fun.

Please post up your interest!
    Thanks

Address is Stephens State Park, 800 Willow Grove St. Hackettstown, NJ 07843

From Rt. 80
    206 North via exit 25 towards Stanhope/Newton
    Turn left onto Waterloo Rd. / CR 604 (Becomes Willow Grove St.)
    Just after Rail Road Crossing make left at Picnic sign (Stephens State Park) onto Waterloo Valley Rd. (Saxton Falls sign).
    Cross bridge over Musconetcong River make first Right into park.
    Go to end and park in rear lot. (We will be using the rear lot and not the main Stephens entrance)
    J.O.R.B.A. More than just tm. WWW.JORBA.ORG

mtbr member
    Any some what technical rocky terrain to be expected?

vgt
    mtbr member
    Stephens State Park

I have never tried this spot. How is it? Can you describe the riding? I am always looking to check out new spots. I usually get sucked into Ringwood since I live close....but it grows tiresome after a while.

Anything mapped out?

VGT

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Trails

Not to take over the thread, but here goes...

But first off, thnks go out to Stratocaster for al his hard work brushing out several trail in this sectionof the park!!!

Right now there is not an official map of the trail network. There is a plan into the Park and should be approved in the next few months. The proposed network of blazed trails will be existing trails/fire roads that have grown over. When finished with the proposed blazing there will be approx 16 miles of trail blazed. Total milage in this section is approx 30.

The trails are similar to the rest of the park, however the climbs are steeper!

Again, thanks to Stratocaster for taking the lead on brushing out some of the trails!!!

Bob W.

mtbr member
    Should be able to make it Steve.
    Lenny

Make some music
    Sep 2004

Descrip.

Lots of single track in the lower elevations. An extended section of bermed turns in what we call the maze. The upper section is a mix of double track, wide track and single track. For me most of it is yet unexplored. Plenty of tricky sections and some hairball descents between the upper and lower trails. The future looks great for this place.
    Last edited by Stratocaster; 09-05-2007 at 08:13 AM.

Make some music
    Sep 2004

Ride Rept.

Great to ride with everyone. Nine folks rode. A few had to head out early. Ended up w/ 17 plus miles. Lots of single track. Lots of sweat and a lotta smiles. Here's a partial trail map and the ride profile. Elevation climbed and descended was approx. 2000 ft.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Stratocaster; 09-10-2007 at 07:39 AM.

Make some music
    Sep 2004

Quick Pix

A few.... Coming.

Make some music
    Sep 2004

Here

Now
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vgt
    Stephens State Park

I have never tried this spot. How is it? Can you describe the riding? I am always looking to check out new spots. I usually get sucked into Ringwood since I live close....but it grows tiresome after a while.

Anything mapped out?

VGT

The park is a lot of fun. I was actually very surprised at a few things. Firstly, Steve has done a fantastic job at reclaiming the trails in the park -- he spent countless hours in there working hard -- some with other foks, but a lot by himself. Secondly, I was surprised at how many miles of trails there are in there. I rode 14 miles that day and I had to leave early. Steve did about 17 miles and that didn't include all the trails. Overall, it is a great place to explore.

The general terrain is somewhat like Deer Park, with the exception of the bigger climbs just north of the parking lot. Very fun stuff. The middle loop (aka "the Maze") is comprised of fast moving tighe single track that is mostly buff. Tons of fun.

Thanks Steve for the effort to bring this park back to life!

Joe

vgt
    mtbr member

Sounds Like fun

I am up for a ride at this spot the next time one is planned. Post up and I will join in. I could not make this past weekend. This spot sounds like fun.

VGT

mtbr member

Great Job

I just would like to thank you all, we have another spot to ride. Jungle Habitat, Stephens, and hopefully South Mountain wow....

www.jorba.org
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratocaster
    Great to ride with everyone. Nine folks rode. A few had to head out early. Ended up w/ 17 plus miles. Lots of single track. Lots of sweat and a lotta smiles. Here's a partial trail map and the ride profile. Elevation climbed and descended was approx. 2000 ft.
    Strat! What software is that!? That is so much more pleasing to the eye than the NG Topo stuff I use

Make some music
    Sep 2004

DeLorme

Quote Originally Posted by mergs
    Strat! What software is that!? That is so much more pleasing to the eye than the NG Topo stuff I use
    That's DeLorme Topo USA 4.0 which I find pretty good. It does have it's share of things I dislike though. ie. If you load a track directly into the program it becomes an ".an1" draw file and not a .gpx file. I like to keep .gpx files so I can reload to the gps. I do have work arounds though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I've been riding Allamuchy for 7 years now and never ventured to Stephens and was quite impressed today when I checked it out for my first time. What a nice place, and one I am going to explore a lot now that I know how nice it is. I did the orange trail on my way back to the car and went in the wrong direction, from the looks of it, that is one awesome downhill. Did they used to run the motorcycle race over here? I remember the moto guys saying that they did 30 miles in the north "Allamuchy" section and 30 miles across the street (or perhaps I'm mistaken).

Awesome place, and thanks to all that worked on it.

Mark