Make some music
    Sep 2004

Good job! Stephens State Park

Well the summer has wound down and the trails are rolling great! Alot of monumental efforts have been made in the last 12 months in the wake of Hurricane Sandy and a rain soaked growing season. The trees keep coming down here and there and the growth is finally dying back, but the riding is fantastic. Trail conditions are spot on and the spiders are big! Even the old way up to the mulch pit area is riding well.

We burned alot of gas in the trimmers and chainsaws this year and I want to thank JORBA for some awesome tools. And the hours.... check the paydirt page on JORBA.org... that's alot of sweat equity. Again... A big thanks to all those who make the park a better place to ride!

The weather is mint for riding so get out there. Don't forget the South end of the park nearer to Hackettstown. Awesome hang out spot along the river and starting a ride from that end is like a whole different space!

I'll have to post up a group ride or two too!

Thanks for riding, see you out there.
    Steve
    Jorba Chapter lead, Stephens State Park.
    J.O.R.B.A. More than just tm. WWW.JORBA.ORG

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks Steve for all of your hard work and all the hard work that everybody has put in. SSP is one of my fav places to ride.

mtbr member
    +1 on Josh's thoughts. Stephens is a GREAT park to ride and the countless hours you put in is far more appreciated than you may realize. There are regular Kudos that go out to you when riding these trails.

As always, please don't hesitate to call me when doing any TM. Always willing to lend a hand.
    Nothing really witty to say..........

mtbr member
    Thanks Steve for all the hard work. Yesterday I was out w/ some people new to the area and they asked who maintained SSP, I was glad to be able to answer the question accurately. Without your efforts and JORBA SSP would be much less enjoyable.
    Negative rep, please.

mtbr member
    Stephens is probably my favorite park in the area now. Thanks to your efforts, Steve!

mtbr member
    Thanks for your hard work.

I will be in Blairstown for Christmas. I will have to check it out. Are the trails mapped?

Make some music
    Sep 2004
    This should help you a bit.

Stephens State Park | JORBA - You Dig?

Hope you make it out for a ride!

Make some music
    Sep 2004
    2014 --- Trails are remarkably dry. Tilcon (by the lake off of Kinney Rd.) however is heavily puddled. There are some drainage issues in this area which should be rectified this summer. In the mean time --- You can also ride up Kinney Rd. left onto Waterloo Valley Rd. and about 100 yds up on the right is a cut line (just before the wide wasted opening) up onto the railbed. Dry and nice. Have fun!

Make some music
    Sep 2004
    In the last 4 days some motorcycles hit the park hard. Trails are softened and turned with baseball/softball sized rocks all over the place. 4 to 8 in ruts burned into the ground and a ton of trail straightening and corner cutting. If you see anything please use 1-877-WARN-DEP. Some of this vehicles have license plates on them get a number if you can. I have a feeling some of these dudes are mtb'rs too

If you want to contribute to the park but can't get out for trail maintenance (stay tuned for some tm's) then your efforts will go a long way by using 1-877-Warn-Dep and even if possible follow some of the tracks and see where they lead. The more we know about the entry points the better.

I spoke w/ the Park Police and was told some good things, so.......

Stay tuned for some group tm's.

rzip
    Apr 2009
    That is a bummer. maybe one of those wildlife cameras saw them.

Make some music
    Sep 2004
    Last week I hit the Blue Rock trail hard.. I even cleaned out by the blue roc itself so if you look for it you can find said roc.

Today was five heurs.... the Upper Pink! to middle Serpinteen loop was worked with hand tools..... It's nice.....

I'm bushed out from the brush back. Beware of the overnite pricker growth, that stuff is fast.

mtbr member
    Thank you!!!
    Nothing really witty to say..........

Make some music
    Sep 2004
    Current conditons as of 6-14-14. Parts of Tilcon area trail are completely flooded. It's really good for washing all your chain lube off! Recommend going up Kinney rd. then left and right onto the rail trail to get to the trestle. I headed down the trail from Waterloo valley rd to Continental, stopped at the deep with and extra e stream crossing after hacking back some prickers. Was also able to get out this week and hit the Pink from the maze to the White, and the White heading southish towards Hackettstown to the bottom of the white climb and trail that stays low..... Looking good.

Make some music
    Sep 2004
    The Latest..... the Trestle trail (from the trestle to the Pink) brushed back, the old way up at the north end. And the piles of dump at the Pink end by the railroad crossing of Waterloo Valley rd. have been removed..... Now we don't have to look at it any more.. Nice!

Make some music
    Sep 2004
    The lower white from Stephens south (Hackettstown) to the bottom of the white rumble climb... has been brushed back. The decent from the red bike (on upper white) to lower orange too....

Check out NJ Mountain Biking (Bloomfield, NJ) - Meetup for a ride this Sunday 6-29.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratocaster View Post
    The lower white from Stephens south (Hackettstown) to the bottom of the white rumble climb... has been brushed back. The decent from the red bike (on upper white) to lower orange too....

Check out NJ Mountain Biking (Bloomfield, NJ) - Meetup for a ride this Sunday 6-29.
    Steve -- you're an animal! Hopefully I'll get a chance to ride there this coming weekend.