Thread: Stephens SP

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Stephens SP

We rode Stephens SP yesterday from the iron gate. We were amazed at the amount of cars with bike racks parked at the trail head, there had to be 15 cars. We expected to see riders everywhere on the trails bit after 2 hrs and nearly 20 miles we hadn't seen one. Incredible. Stephens is the bomb. The trails were in great shape and the weather was perfect. Thank you JORBA Steve for all of your hard work and effort.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RyderX View Post
    We rode Stephens SP yesterday from the iron gate. We were amazed at the amount of cars with bike racks parked at the trail head, there had to be 15 cars. We expected to see riders everywhere on the trails bit after 2 hrs and nearly 20 miles we hadn't seen one. Incredible. Stephens is the bomb. The trails were in great shape and the weather was perfect. Thank you JORBA Steve for all of your hard work and effort.
    Love Stephens! Steve-squatch really does a great job in there and I love all the trail options.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Where is the iron gate?

mtbr member
    The iron gate, aka Tilcon Gate, is located on Kinny Road. Turn off of Waterloo Road right next to the concert field. Follow that road for about 1/4 a mile, and the gate is there on the left.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have seen cars parked there. I ride Deer Park and come down the hill to run the maze section of SSP before heading back up. Can you suggest a loop in SSP, I know I have ridden those trails over the years but it's been a while. I have the Jorba map.

http://www.jorba.org/sites/default/f...9-Stephens.pdf

'Tis but a scratch
    I've been to Stephens maybe 4 times and have really been impressed. I got lucky and managed to latch on to a local during one of those rides for awhile. After that I managed to string together some of what I had discovered and some of what he showed me for this loop. Hopefully you can follow it along with the map. Good luck. You may want to wait for some others who are more knowledgeable to "weigh-in" with other options.

stephens - super flow - Mountain biking trip | EveryTrail

mtbr member
    If you have a smartphone; download Maprika (free). Upload the Stephens map on their and hit the little "arrow" on the bottom left of the screen. This should mark a blue dot highlighting where you currently are. From there, you can have fun without the fear of getting lost. Most of the unmarked trails are on this map as well.
    Nothing really witty to say..........

mtbr member
    Have the trails frozen up again? May check them out tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Trails are in perfect shape. Rode both upper and lower Stephens yesterday. Pure sweetness.

There is a Meetup group heading out at 1pm tomorrow from the Iron Gate....if interested.

mtbr member
    Thanks Reggie. I may try to get out earlier but if I cannot I will check out the group. I am pretty slow though.

mtbr member
    What a great park. The trails are very nice. Conditions are nearly perfect. Frozen with a thin dusting of snow that made the rocks a little greasy. The nice folks at Marty's bike shop in Hacketstown gave me a map and suggested a route. I may take my wife there tomorrow.

mtbr member
    If you have a smartphone, download the App; Maprika. It has the latest map of Stephens with all marked and most of the unmarked trails on it. Great app!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reggie Hammond View Post
    If you have a smartphone, download the App; Maprika. It has the latest map of Stephens with all marked and most of the unmarked trails on it. Great app!!
    Yup. Already have it. I always use it when exploring new areas. Sometimes I upload the maps myself.

mtbr member
    Rode at Stephens again today. Yesterday I rode from the park office and did the red, white and pink trails. Today I rode from the gate and went around the lake. The trails leading up to the tower are awesome and surprisingly remote feeling. Great view from the tower too. Thanks to all the folks who designed and built these trails. This will now be my default ride while visiting the in-laws in Blairstown?