Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SS Roll Call

mtbr member

SS Roll Call

this idea was inspired by "Molasses" who mentioned doing a SS roll call in another post.

so.. calling all Jersey SS'ers. Post your ride and your preferred trails to SS on.

I'll start. This is a '98 trek 930 that was hanging in my basement, gathering dust, since 00. i took off all the shifter related items. replaced/updated the fork, brakes, and wheels with hand me downs from my fs rig. it about 24 pounds now, which is about 3-4 lbs less than my geared superlight. i still need to remove the granny gear and grind down the outer ring, which is a bashguard but its been ridden multiple times now and its smooth as butter and quiet! I am running 32-18 and i left the old crappy rear DR on for a tensioner.

I've done 3 rides on it. Patriots Path (1st), Tourne (2nd) and today, my third ride on backyard trails. Here's a pic of a bridge i recently threw together over a stream:

Although it looks shaky its quite solid, and fully ridable. And this is about as high as the water will ever get, so the water is usually a bit lower.

Last edited by mergs; 11-30-2004 at 07:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mergs
    this idea was inspired by "Molasses" who mentioned doing a SS roll call in another post.

so.. calling all Jersey SS'ers. Post your ride and your preferred trails to SS on.

I'll start. This is a '98 trek 930 that was hanging in my basement, gathering dust, since 00. i took off all the shifter related items. replaced/updated the fork, brakes, and wheels with hand me downs from my fs rig. it about 24 pounds now, which is about 3-4 lbs less than my geared superlight. i still need to remove the granny gear and grind down the outer ring, which is a bashguard but its been ridden multiple times now and its smooth as butter and quiet! I am running 32-18 and i left the old crappy rear DR on for a tensioner.

I've done 3 rides on it. Patriots Path (1st), Tourne (2nd) and today, my third ride on backyard trails. Here's a pic of a bridge i recently threw together over a stream:

I'm not a SSer yet, but plan on building my klein attitude custom over the winter. Right now it's geared and on my trainer, but once I finish rehabing from knee surgery the klein is gonna be a SS machine. Ride my SL most of the time at ringwood and not quite sure I'll ever be able to rip up and down the switchbacks with only one gear, but can't wait to try.

Will post photo when build is complete.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Ss

Sure I play along. I ride a fully ridged Bianchi BOSS, 32x16 (have a GUSS on order). Have riden at Allamuchy, Kittatiny, Mahlon, MCP to name a few.

SS rides, sounds like fun! I know there are a ton of SS riders out there (Ryder X....) shold be interesting on the response.
    Last edited by Bob W; 11-30-2004 at 10:03 AM.

mtbr member

my ss rig

I have a Jamis Dragon--
    bought the frame and built it with leftover parts from a Trek 8900--
    run 32-16 with a singulator--

Started out riding it around the lake @ Skyline and have progressed to Ringwood--
    Fireroads first and now some singletrack and technical stuff---

LOTS of time out of the saddle--

www.justthebonnet.com

SS in NJ

I ride my SISS usually with the boys on wednesday nights rides at Lewis Morris in the summer. I also have taken this rig to SS races in New England where I got my butt kicked by the semi-pros. I ride at Kittatinny, Ringwood, Wayway, Harthshorne, Tourne, and anywhere else I can get to. Also do some light urban stuff in the winter to keep the technical skills sharp for summer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Don't have pictures of my bike yet, black Surly 1x1, nothing fancy.

I ride pretty much anywhere, I don't think there's such a thing as "SS trails", to me every trail is worth riding SS, no suspension of course. I admit I wuss out at races as I will swap the rigid fork for a Fox F100RL in 80mm mode... I'm usually the only one racing SS though.

I started out with an old MTB bike I had laying around and converted it. Since it has those pseudo-horizontal dropouts I could run tensionerless. The thing is an anvil though, and I couldn't even run 2.1 tires in it. I keep it as a commuter. The Surly was a no-brainer decision, and I have to say I'm quite happy with it, so little maintenance even though I'm running disc brakes.

I will ride Chimney Rock and Round Valley most often, as my work place is near Chimney Rock and my house is near Round Valley (I can ride to the park). I will also ride Lewis Morris which is fast and fun although not very challenging, and Ringwood.

The reason I went SS is the first MTB race I did (bulldog run or something like that), an enduro-type race. There I saw (was passed by) a couple guys on SS bikes, full-rigid. Those guys were hammering the slopes so hard (while I was WALKING my bike), in silence, standing on the pedals and just looking ahead... I could SEE that they were enjoying the ride for what it is. That was it, and now that I've experienced it, I don't know what riding my FS bike will be like, but certainly not as fun.

Maurice

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt_phun
    I ride my SISS usually with the boys on wednesday nights rides at Lewis Morris in the summer. I also have taken this rig to SS races in New England where I got my butt kicked by the semi-pros. I ride at Kittatinny, Ringwood, Wayway, Harthshorne, Tourne, and anywhere else I can get to. Also do some light urban stuff in the winter to keep the technical skills sharp for summer.
    Do you know Chris D, John K and Ryan from the Marty's rides? Chris is my regular riding partner for 3 years, and I met John and Ryan this year.

Chris D and I went to the Tourne last week on our SS's. He has his old Specialized converted as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice
    Don't have pictures of my bike yet, black Surly 1x1, nothing fancy.

I ride pretty much anywhere, I don't think there's such a thing as "SS trails", to me every trail is worth riding SS, no suspension of course. I admit I wuss out at races as I will swap the rigid fork for a Fox F100RL in 80mm mode... I'm usually the only one racing SS though.

I started out with an old MTB bike I had laying around and converted it. Since it has those pseudo-horizontal dropouts I could run tensionerless. The thing is an anvil though, and I couldn't even run 2.1 tires in it. I keep it as a commuter. The Surly was a no-brainer decision, and I have to say I'm quite happy with it, so little maintenance even though I'm running disc brakes.

I will ride Chimney Rock and Round Valley most often, as my work place is near Chimney Rock and my house is near Round Valley (I can ride to the park). I will also ride Lewis Morris which is fast and fun although not very challenging, and Ringwood.

The reason I went SS is the first MTB race I did (bulldog run or something like that), an enduro-type race. There I saw (was passed by) a couple guys on SS bikes, full-rigid. Those guys were hammering the slopes so hard (while I was WALKING my bike), in silence, standing on the pedals and just looking ahead... I could SEE that they were enjoying the ride for what it is. That was it, and now that I've experienced it, I don't know what riding my FS bike will be like, but certainly not as fun.

Maurice

Maurice, for us mere mortals... yes, there is such a thing as SS trails.

I saw your name on the TB website, 1st place in Sport this year? So, for you, yes, all trails are SS worthy, for me, its going to take some time. Couple more times at Tourne, LM, etc. then maybe I'll start running it up at Ringwood. I just know right now, I would be doing a lot of walking there. A lot. If its any consolation, I have begun to shift a lot less on my geary and only do it when I need to so, in a way, I am riding SS-style, and only wussin down to the granny when its really needed.

Me, I kind of like having that fork on there... in fact... I would like to one day upgrade the fork to something with more travel. I'd like to be more confident coming downhill, and negotiating tricky techy sections. Being back on a 80mm SID reminds me exactly why I upgraded to 110mm Black, endo prevention.

I will never be able to run a rigid fork bc I have a tendency to endo, and I have a recent neck injury, now healed, to keep keep healed.

But all kidding aside... I do understand your point... you're right... all trails could be potentially ridden on a ss, its just a matter of being fit enough to ride them. Everytime I ride, I feel my quads tweeked and my shoulders and back have been worked. Its

www.justthebonnet.com
    Yep I ride with Chris D. at Lewis Morris and he did that Road Century I organized with the guys from the wednesday night ride. I also ride with John and Ryan, but I haven't seen Ryan that much this year. John is a good rider, very entertaining with his volume control, and his "take a pipe" yells.

Can't wait for spring to start riding with everyone again. I'll probably see you at Mountain Creek this winter, hopefully we can get everyone organized from your ski club (I did that Octoberfest rail trail ride with them by Long Valley Brew Pub) and some of the Wednesday night riders and go skiing/boarding.

Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:

AussieLostInNyc

If I live on Manhattan.....

Can I still join your club?
    I have pedalled at ringwood and blue mountain a few times but never with a SS rider.
    I have just got back into riding since mid year and my rigid KM loves ringwood.
    Had a great ride on friday for about four hours there with cmazz and John.

(can't upload pics )

So when do we go for a ride?
    Gumby
    www.nycmtb.com
    .....spreading the love

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby
    Can I still join your club?
    I have pedalled at ringwood and blue mountain a few times but never with a SS rider.
    I have just got back into riding since mid year and my rigid KM loves ringwood.
    Had a great ride on friday for about four hours there with cmazz and John.

(can't upload pics )

So when do we go for a ride?
    Gumby
    Sure!!

I think we'll try to organize something soon! I was thinking about a mid-day ride at Tourne on Thu or Fri. For the weekend, we can try to do something central like Tourne or Lewis Morris.

Anyone have good days and times that work for them?

I can ride either Sat morning (9ish) or Sun afternoon.(12ish).

mtbr member
    small world... see you around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob W
    Sure I paly along. I ride a Bianchi BOSS, 32x16 (have a GUSS on order). Have riden at Allamuchy, Kittatiny, Mahlon, MCP to name a few.

SS rides, sounds like fun! I know there are a ton of SS riders out there (Ryder X....) shold be interesting on the response.
    Damn... I'd blow a blood vessel riding a 32x16 ratio.

rigid bruce
    Nov 2004
    I ride a Fat City Cycles Ti Fat with a Big One Inch rigid fork. 32/20. Weirwolf 2.5" tires at about 20 psi. Pedals are BMX flats. ENO ecc hub conversion. Putting Jones H-bars on in a few days.

I live a mile from the Tourne so I ride there a lot, but Splitrock is my favorite. I love riding Allamuchy too. Ringwood's good, though I haven't been there in a while.

I've ridden less this year than ever. I've just started riding a bit again after months off the bike. My son is really into hiking so I've been mostly doing that. I'm not ready yet for a hard ride at somewhere like Splitrock or Allumuchy North, but the Tourne or Lewis Morris is no problem.

I used to sometimes ride with Mark Trager from Marty's. I'm also an old friend of Brendan at Cycle Craft.

I can usually get out for a while to the Tourne at 1pm during the week, or on weekends. Early afternoon is the best for me as I'll probably be hiking in the morning with my son.

bruce boysen, in Boonton, a mile from the Tourne.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Sure!!

I think we'll try to organize something soon! I was thinking about a mid-day ride at Tourne on Thu or Fri. For the weekend, we can try to do something central like Tourne or Lewis Morris.

Anyone have good days and times that work for them?

I can ride either Sat morning (9ish) or Sun afternoon.(12ish).
    Never been to the Tourne, so I'd be up for a Sat. 9am ride.

During the week I could swing by LM.

Maurice

www.justthebonnet.com
    The Tourne would be easily doable this weekend. Its pretty easy riding there, and is a nice early morning wake up ride. I second Sat 9 am.
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:

rigid bruce
    Nov 2004

Tourne, This Sat. Dec. 4th 9am

I'll be at the Tourne this Saturday at 9am if a few other people are going. Betcha I can bring us up several climbs no one will make on a SS. Two of them are just doable on a gearie.

Main parking area next to the ballfield is a good spot.
    bruce

www.justthebonnet.com
    As long as its not raining I'll be there at 9:00. I like to climb the fireroad up to the look-out, thats a nice workout on a SS, or even a gearie. Then you go down the rock face to the that single-track that leads back down to the fireroad.

Lots of leaves covering the trails, went over the bar twice on some big rocks that were hidden way in the back on the red loop. See you by the ballfield, pick-up truck with the gray SISS in the back.

Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigid
    I ride a Fat City Cycles Ti Fat with a Big One Inch rigid fork. 32/20. Weirwolf 2.5" tires at about 20 psi. Pedals are BMX flats. ENO ecc hub conversion. Putting Jones H-bars on in a few days.

I live a mile from the Tourne so I ride there a lot, but Splitrock is my favorite. I love riding Allamuchy too. Ringwood's good, though I haven't been there in a while.

I've ridden less this year than ever. I've just started riding a bit again after months off the bike. My son is really into hiking so I've been mostly doing that. I'm not ready yet for a hard ride at somewhere like Splitrock or Allumuchy North, but the Tourne or Lewis Morris is no problem.

I used to sometimes ride with Mark Trager from Marty's. I'm also an old friend of Brendan at Cycle Craft.

I can usually get out for a while to the Tourne at 1pm during the week, or on weekends. Early afternoon is the best for me as I'll probably be hiking in the morning with my son.

bruce boysen, in Boonton, a mile from the Tourne.

bruce,

i'd be up for a ride at SR on Sunday afternoon (no hunting on Sun). Its one of my favs too... but I am going to bring the FS rig. I ain't man enough to bring the SS there. You want to hit it let me know...

i will shoot for a Thu or Fri 1pm ride at Tourne if you're down with that. I just need to know night before. Wed = Rain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice
    Never been to the Tourne, so I'd be up for a Sat. 9am ride.

During the week I could swing by LM.

Maurice
    after work, nite ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigid
    I'll be at the Tourne this Saturday at 9am if a few other people are going. Betcha I can bring us up several climbs no one will make on a SS. Two of them are just doable on a gearie.

Main parking area next to the ballfield is a good spot.
    bruce

ok, i am in.

Sat, 9am Tourne.

I know at least one of those climbs. Chris D claims he makes all the climbs on his Blur. I'll see if I can bring him along and we'll see...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    after work, nite ride?
    Not yet, no lights... I was more thinking during lunch break.

Maurice

mtbr member
    As long as its not raining I'll be there at 9:00. I like to climb the fireroad up to the look-out, thats a nice workout on a SS, or even a gearie. Then you go down the rock face to the that single-track that leads back down to the fireroad.

Lots of leaves covering the trails, went over the bar twice on some big rocks that were hidden way in the back on the red loop. See you by the ballfield, pick-up truck with the gray SISS in the back.

geez... that climb will break me. but i'm in.

either a blue subaru or a black dakota with green trek ht.

www.justthebonnet.com

ok, i am in.

Sat, 9am Tourne.

I know at least one of those climbs. Chris D claims he makes all the climbs on his Blur. I'll see if I can bring him along and we'll see...
    I'd love to see that too cause there is a climb I'd love to see him try, the back side of the look-out fire road. I tried and said, F that and walked the rest of it. To long, with loose gravel, its a demoralizing hill. You look up and it just keeps going and going. Maybe Chris D. is thinking about his Litespeed Ti road bike on the paved roads there
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:

mtbr member
    I'd love to see that too cause there is a climb I'd love to see him try, the back side of the look-out fire road. I tried and said, F that and walked the rest of it. To long, with loose gravel, its a demoralizing hill. You look up and it just keeps going and going. Maybe Chris D. is thinking about his Litespeed Ti road bike on the paved roads there

that litespeed is sweet and the deal he got was even sweeter. pennies from heaven falling on him this year.

haha. yep, i think we're talking about the same one... the climb he did (john was witness) was off the gravel road, a left i think, kind of hard to find... then it goes up and up and up, then it dumps youback on the fireroad about 3/4 the way up or so. its a beast. i'd like to try it when i am fit midsummer with no leaves and no rain for a week. then i'd prolly get about 75% of it. its a ***** for sure. but chris when he's on is pretty damn strong. kudos to him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast