mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Splitrock/Wildcat

I heard there was good riding here but I must have been in the wrong place. First I parked on Meriden (sp?) road shortly after turning off of Green Pond Rd. by the gates to a large company. The trail started as an ATV style fire road climb (i.e. highly eroded big rocks) and then changed to fireroads that dead ended at houses. Next I went back to the road and rode down Meriden to the next trail entrance on the left. Same idea - lots of criss crossing fire roads leading to houses. The reason I MTB is to try to pretend I'm not in NJ, not to remind myself that I am in NJ.

Not deterred, I road down Meriden some more and found a nice fireroad climb alongside a stream that led to a dam. There was a nice technical but doable finishing section that led to a dirt road that I've been on on my road bike.

So all in, 2 sections leading to nowhere(???) and one nice section that just led to a dirt road. Maybe more after this.

What am I missing? Where's all this hardcore technical riding on a big loop I heard about?

lotto baby
    there were some hints to some loops in this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/new-jersey/trail-conference-deception-287018-2.html#post2937705

hope it helps.

mtbr member
    The problem is your start-off point. The good stuff is farther up Greenpond Rd. You have 2 choices:

1. Trailhead off of Lower Hibernia Rd (called Sunnyside Rd on Google Maps). This is 2.6 miles from the exit ramp off of Rt 80
    2. Upper Hibernia Rd. This place is known as the Hawk Watch parking area. I think you're better off starting here.

Here's a trail map:

http://f.vanderburgh.home.att.net/imap/wcrtrails.html

Explore and be patient. This isn't the place for flowy single track. You may find yourself walking your bike a lot. On the other hand, some sections are simply amazing and offer some of the most technical, challenging terrain in Jersey. The place is absolutely beautiful, too. Trust me, you'll get that "out of Jersey" experience you're looking for.

Word of advice: stay off the blue trail--excpet for one little section, it's almost totally unridable. The ridable section is intense though!
    Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

rigid bruce
    Nov 2004
    goldsbar writes.....
    >>Not deterred, I road down Meriden some more and found a nice fireroad climb alongside a stream that led to a dam. There was a nice technical but doable finishing section that led to a dirt road that I've been on on my road bike.<<

You should have made a left across the stream instead of a right up to the road. The left is right there, where you went right to go up to the road. If the stream is too deep to cross, go up to the road and go across the dam. As soon as you get past the fence (just over the dam) you'll see a little trail on your left. Get some speed up and you can shoot right up the steep start off the road. Follow this back for about 200 feet and curve left at the big rock you should be riding on and the trail rather steeply descends to the main (mostly doubletrack) trial, where you curve right onto it. You can ride this up to the road and come out not too far from the Hawk Overlook lot(to the left). Halfway up the doubletrack you can make a left on to the white trail, which is very cool and very technical. Don't worry about the initial hike a bike up the steep. You can take that all the way to the Hawk Overlook. Lots of options back there. Explore.

bruce boysen

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigid
    You should have made a left across the stream instead of a right up to the road. The left is right there, where you went right to go up to the road. If the stream is too deep to cross, go up to the road and go across the dam.
    bruce boysen
    The stream was raging after all this rain. I had no idea it was crossable. Thanks.