RLK
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

South Jersey trails?

I'll be in South Jersey for work next week, and am hoping to get some trail time in the evenings. Can anyone hook me up with some info or maps for Ceres Park or Gloucester County College? Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If you've got the time to ride, Ceres is where you want to go.

GCC is pretty much just a rooty 6mile loop with alot of short ups/downs and not too technical. Here's a map of the race course for the D&Q Summer Sizzler. A link to the Garmin track is also available from this link. GPS Bike Maps Usually some riders there in the evenings. I haven't been there is awhile, so I don't know the trail conditions.

As for Ceres, it's much more technical with many more trails and trail features: logovers, skinnys, bridges, etc. There's more climbing and fast descents. It's not a very large park, but can feel like you're lost. Recommend riding with people who know their way around. Riders there most night, and Thursdays are pretty popular. If you're on Facebook, check out the Ceres Riders group. Trails are in great shape as there was a TM day 2 weeks ago.

Some information for both locations can be found here as well. South Jersey - mtbNJ.com

JD
    2014 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

RLK
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the great info and the map of the Summer Sizzler. That race is on my to-do list next year, so this will be a good pre-ride.

I found a map of Ceres Park on the MTBNJ forums, and am waiting for my account to be activated so that I can open/download it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    tues & thursday night they have group rides at ceres, if u can get to the back lot around 5 - 5:30ish those guys will show u around

RLK
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dbnickles View Post
    tues & thursday night they have group rides at ceres, if u can get to the back lot around 5 - 5:30ish those guys will show u around
    Great- thanks for this info! Where exactly is the back lot? All I have right now is a park address. I have a link to a map on MTBNJ.com, but I can't access it yet. Anyone willing to email me that map please? Shoot me a PM...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Here's the location of the parking lot. 39.744785, -75.161035 - Google Maps

And here's the Garmin Connect map from the post on MTBNJ. Untitled by whtbread at Garmin Connect - Details

Let me know if it works for you.

JD
    Last edited by jdinsj; 09-18-2012 at 03:56 PM.
    2014 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

RLK
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thank you, JD- that's exactly the info that I needed!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    newbee jumping on the thread because i cant post on my own yet(damn 5 post minimum)...lol

just getting back into the sport after a almost 10 year withdrawal due to "life reasons" picked up a new bike a year or so ago and looking for ocean county trails to ride(i am close to Toms River)

any good recommendations for someone who will be riding solo 98% of the time, or clubs that might be willing to show a newbee/out of shape/ guy the ropes to some local trails?

JORBA
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSpecializedMike View Post
    newbee jumping on the thread because i cant post on my own yet(damn 5 post minimum)...lol

just getting back into the sport after a almost 10 year withdrawal due to "life reasons" picked up a new bike a year or so ago and looking for ocean county trails to ride(i am close to Toms River)

any good recommendations for someone who will be riding solo 98% of the time, or clubs that might be willing to show a newbee/out of shape/ guy the ropes to some local trails?
    Welcome back!
    Close to Toms River sounds like either Allaire, Wharton, or Estelle.
    JORBA Parks Map | JORBA - You Dig? is a listing of some our better riding spots in NJ.
    Frank Harms
    JORBA President
    frank at jorba.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    have you tried wells mills county park. i haven't been but i hear it's nice

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by drewvir View Post
    have you tried wells mills county park. i haven't been but i hear it's nice
    i am about 6 or so miles away from there.
    my old neighbor works for ocean county parks and recommended two real close trails.
    1.Jake's branch county park in south toms river(off double trouble rd)parkway exit 82
    2. double trouble state forest on tr 530and double trouble road in Berkeley, parkway exit 77

just haven't been yet, kinda weary on hitting new trails alone, but at the same time as a born again newbee i don't wanna be "that guy" that holds a experienced rider up. one of these days i need to man up and just go. hahaha

bike has a slick tire on the rear and is clamped into a trainer now. pondering the $$ for a spare wheel so i wont have to change and inflate all the time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    i here ya. wheel,cassette,and disc =$$$. easilr to change tire

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSpecializedMike View Post
    i am about 6 or so miles away from there.
    my old neighbor works for ocean county parks and recommended two real close trails.
    1.Jake's branch county park in south toms river(off double trouble rd)parkway exit 82
    2. double trouble state forest on tr 530and double trouble road in Berkeley, parkway exit 77

just haven't been yet, kinda weary on hitting new trails alone, but at the same time as a born again newbee i don't wanna be "that guy" that holds a experienced rider up. one of these days i need to man up and just go. hahaha

bike has a slick tire on the rear and is clamped into a trainer now. pondering the $$ for a spare wheel so i wont have to change and inflate all the time.
    Double Trouble SP is not exactly single track - more sandy double track/jeep roads out there. Its pretty and relaxing, but not much in the way of speed or excitement. Good if you just want to get out in nature though.
    Enjoy the ride!