mtbr member

South Jersey bike shops

Where do you guys take your bikes or what shop do you deal with for parts and work?

I've been using the same LBS for years but have recently just reached my wits end with the attitude of their employees. The couple people they had that rode mountain bikes have left and the guys still there are more interested in quick fixes then actually taking the time to fix something for good. I know I should fix stuff myself, and for the most part I do. But certain things I prefer to leave to the experts or I don't have the tools and time to do myself. I barely have time to get all my rides in.

I'm closer to Deleware then Cherry Hill. But I drive all over the southern half of NJ for work, so I'm willing to drive to get a good shop. Preferably one that doesn't specialize in just one brand.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky351
    I've been using the same LBS for years but have recently just reached my wits end with the attitude of their employees. The couple people they had that rode mountain bikes have left...

Preferably one that doesn't specialize in just one brand.
    Wow, I feel like I could've written this myself. I think I know which shop you are making a thinly veiled reference to, and I have to agree, their level of wrenching seems to have slipped. I really like the people at the shop, but I've had a few instances of bringing my bike back multiple times for the same issues...

The best mechanics seem to be the ones that ride often, or even race, and know how corrections made in the shop affect the bike on the trail. Just 'cause it works in the repair stand doesn't mean it'll work on the trail...

Regarding your comment about doing the work yourself: it's like an accountant; you might be able to file your taxes on your own, but paying a professional to do it is going to save you some headaches, and you should be assured that they were filed correctly.

mtbr member

local South Jersey shops

I Have been working in bike shops for about 9 years now and can't agree with you more.
    I don't work at my shop full time, but only part time cause I have choosen a Career in another field. I have worked for many other shops in my area and have loved working at each one. There is one thing that you always see in shops is that employees always change and so do the customers. I think what makes a great shop to most people is how the shops employees react with the customers. Its not aways about what cool bikes or parts they have in stock. I do make mistakes some times and yes it sucks because it ruins your ride and possably your day if it can't be fixed on the side of the road or trail. I think the worst part about working in the bike industry is people who come in to buy bikes or parts with the idea its like buying a used car and just are waiting to get hasseled. Some times evan worse then that is when I get hasseled over price of the item or if you pay cash is it cheaper. Yes I know you can get it cheaper online or ebay and thats ok with me every buddy wonts the best bang for the buck. I will still put those new parts on your bike while you wait. What the bottom line really is for me I love to ride bikes and talk to people who love to do the same thing. I hope you are able to find a shop that works for you.

Keep pedaling
    Tom

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Have you said anything to the owners?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky351
    Where do you guys take your bikes or what shop do you deal with for parts and work?

I've been using the same LBS for years but have recently just reached my wits end with the attitude of their employees. The couple people they had that rode mountain bikes have left and the guys still there are more interested in quick fixes then actually taking the time to fix something for good. I know I should fix stuff myself, and for the most part I do. But certain things I prefer to leave to the experts or I don't have the tools and time to do myself. I barely have time to get all my rides in.

I'm closer to Deleware then Cherry Hill. But I drive all over the southern half of NJ for work, so I'm willing to drive to get a good shop. Preferably one that doesn't specialize in just one brand.
    I know the shop. I have been dealing with them for about 25 years.
    Have you voiced your complaint to the owners?
    There are still mountain bikers among the employees and one of the owners rides on the trails. I ride with them.

John

mtbr member
    I've dealt with this shop since before they were in their current location. So that's going back at least 20 years. I agree the owners are fantastic people. They have always been more then helpful, which is why I'm hesitatnt to state their name. With that being said though, I don't feel like I should have to run and complain to the owner everytime one of their mechanics fails to fix a problem. Nothing upsets me more then leaving my bike to get it fixed, coming back a week later to pick it up, and not long after I get the bike on the trails the problem(s) return. Its probably minor annoyances that have piled up over a period of time that have caused me to feel this way.

Anyway, what I'm looking for is someone to let me know that they have gone to such and such shop in South Jersey and came away satisfied with work that was done for the price they paid. I don't fault the shops around here for being more roadie focused. There are no actual mountains around here. But I ride all over, the east coast. My bike sees more trails then just GCC. I'm counting on them to help me keep my bike as reliabel and sturdy as the day I bought it. If they think something should be replaced that I didn't notice, I think they should tell me. If they noticed something wrong that I didn't, tell me. Dont' rush me though, to get in and out of there as fast as you can.

mtbr member
    Keswick on Rt. 70(its in cherry hill, sorry) My pop swears by it, they carry specialized, cannondale, ellsworth and alot more if your after a Rd. bike. The people are nice and the work is quality. http://www.keswickcycle.com/ shoot em a call 856.795.0079
    Rob D

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dimaiord
    Keswick on Rt. 70(its in cherry hill, sorry) My pop swears by it, they carry specialized, cannondale, ellsworth and alot more if your after a Rd. bike. The people are nice and the work is quality. http://www.keswickcycle.com/ shoot em a call 856.795.0079

I had a bad experience with Keswick and would never take my bike back there again. There is a shop in Bordentown Nj called bicycle-pro, farely new shop, Giant dealer, hands down some of the nicest people I have met. Staff is very knowlegeable, owner is a certified wheel builder, both mechanics I ride and race with. The only place my bike will be going other that the trails!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzToJrse
    I had a bad experience with Keswick and would never take my bike back there again. There is a shop in Bordentown Nj called bicycle-pro, farely new shop, Giant dealer, hands down some of the nicest people I have met. Staff is very knowlegeable, owner is a certified wheel builder, both mechanics I ride and race with. The only place my bike will be going other that the trails!

Definitely the best shop in the area. A shop owned and operated by people who live riding and racing.

A bit north of cherry hill area, but easy to get to from 130, 295 or njtp.

look up rt130 and farnsworth ave, bordentown nj for directions. They're just north of farnsworth ave on the southbound side.

Giant is their main bike line, but they do redline, eastern, bmc, and salsa too. They won't shove a particular brand down your throat like some shops do.

Yappy little dog!

Action Wheels

Good God, people. He asked for South Jersey and you are sending him to Bordentown?

You want Action Wheels:
    1066 Mantua Pike
    Wenonah, NJ 08090

http://actionwheels.com/

I haven't been there in over two years , but they were best bike shop I ever used when living in Joisey.

mtbr member
    Bordentown is a bit of a hike but I am up that way on occasion. If I get a chance I'll check them out. I appreciate people recomending shops everywhere. I carry my bike with me a lot when I'm working so if I see a good spot to ride I'm ready. On the flipside if something breaks and I know I'll be working in the area for a while, I'm willing to try another shop. So I'll take any and all recommendations.

mtbr member
    How do people feel about Danzeisen Quigley on 70? I went there once and was happy
    Rob D

mtbr member
    Bicycle-Pro is indeed a nice shop, and you couldn't ask for nicer people in there....plus our friend Fawn works there....and it's within riding distance. Great place with great guys.

I take my bike to Pure Energy in Lambertville mostly to get work done on it as it's owned by a friend of mine! -mJ
    Life without a 29r? Are you kidding?
    http://jerseyfoodies.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dimaiord
    How do people feel about Danzeisen Quigley on 70? I went there once and was happy
    I did a lot of shopping and asking questions at 5 or 6 LBS in the area. I bought my bike from Danzeisen Quigley. Now my son, his brother in-law and there friend. I am very happy with the price, service and knowledge the staff have there.
    Better to wear out than to rust out

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've used most of the shops in the Camden county area,and for the past 2yrs or so have ended up going to Freeride in Haddonfeild. The owner and staff were pretty friendly when i started going there,and now i've bought 2 bikes and ridden with a few of the guys from there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've taken My bike to beacon in northfield and they seem to know what they are doing. I bought 2 of my bikes there and they really took the time to make sure I was getting the right bike for me, not just the one I wanted! Good luck with you're search.

newb mtbr
    I have been to almost every LBS mentioned. They are all good shops. It is inevitable that someone is going to have a less than good experience with certain shops. People react to people differently. I have purchased bikes in the past from Keswick and been very satisfied. I just recently bought two bikes from D&Q and was extremely happy with the overall service. Another nice shop in the area that I didn't see mentioned was Mt. Holly Bikes (on Rt. 38 in Mt Holly) and BikeTek in Medford.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    the peddlers shop in deptford new jersey is good I take my bike there to get worked on, because thats where my perfered mechanic works, but if I where buying a bike i would go to Pro Pedals bike shop in hammonton NJ they carry Trek, Cannondale, Litespeed, Scott, Gary Fisher and unlike alot of shops around here they have a lot of clothing

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nicks2192
    the peddlers shop in deptford new jersey is good I take my bike there to get worked on, because thats where my perfered mechanic works, but if I where buying a bike i would go to Pro Pedals bike shop in hammonton NJ they carry Trek, Cannondale, Litespeed, Scott, Gary Fisher and unlike alot of shops around here they have a lot of clothing
    I happen to work at the P-shop during the summers and on winter break. Who would that preferred mechanic be??

New Jersey
    I happen to go to D&Q pretty often. Bought two bikes from them, a hardtail Trek that I have since converted into a quasi park/SS bike, and a high-end Fuji road bike.

Been very happy with their service and people so far. They do some stuff other than bikes, mainly skiing.
    When you go there, ask for Chris A. He'll take good care of you.

mtbr member
    I'm looking to purchase my very first, high end, mountain bike. I live near Cherry Hill and was thinking of going to Keswick. You guys saying no?

I'm looking to purchase a Specialized Rockhopper Pro model.

mtbr member
    I would say go wherever you feel comfortable going. No matter what, your always going to find people who have a bad experience somewhere. In the end though, its your money that is being spent so you just want to feel confident that your handing it over to folks who have your best interest at heart. Nothing ticks me off more then someone trying to sell me on something that isn't exactly what I need or want, but its something they have in stock.

mtbr member
    Go to Keswick and see how your experience unfolds, I personally never bought a bike there but they seem genuinely helpful and as someone who had many years in the industry find them knowledgeable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Bike Tek

Ive been dealing with Bike Tek on rt 70 in medford and have no complaints at all. Great shop in my opinion