Thread: Sound Off II

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Wink Sound Off II

Let's just try to stay on the topic of mountain biking here in NJ. We aren't going to change their opinion and they aren't going to change ours. It's all about riding bicycles. "it ain't rocket surgery". If you feel a need to attack them or defend yourself do it in the original Sounds off. Let's try and meet on common ground, which is our love for cycling, and leave the he said she said ******** behind. Can't we all just get along ?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    i sure hope so but i haven't shaken my magic 8 ball yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    So where are some good places to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by itzmemark View Post
    So where are some good places to go.
    Go to Hartshorne down near Sandy Hook. It has hills and some very fast sections as well as some techy parts (like 2-3). I'm moving north off rt17 with my GF soon and will miss that place the most.
    Pigs get fat. Hogs get slaughtered...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    is this where the party is?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    +1 on Hartshorne. We sometimes park at Huber Woods and ride Huber as a warm up then ride abut 1/2 mile down the road to Hartshorne. Gives us 15-20 miles without repeating many spots.
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by soulchild View Post
    is this where the party is?
    No party in here. The real party is out in the woods or on the road. The trails have been incredible this year. I've been doing some mega loops connecting Allamuchy North, Stephens SP, Deer Park and KVSP and I'd say the parks have never been this good so early in the season. I rode the All A Muchy 50k loop a few weeks back and added some mileage over at Stephens and up into Deer Pk. I managed 5.5 hrs of saddle time and 44 miles. Not bad for Jersey.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RyderX View Post
    No party in here. The real party is out in the woods or on the road. The trails have been incredible this year. I've been doing some mega loops connecting Allamuchy North, Stephens SP, Deer Park and KVSP and I'd say the parks have never been this good so early in the season. I rode the All A Muchy 50k loop a few weeks back and added some mileage over at Stephens and up into Deer Pk. I managed 5.5 hrs of saddle time and 44 miles. Not bad for Jersey.
    no doubt! we were REALLY lucky this year with the weather. all the parks you mentioned are in great condition. i'd love to see that loop sometime, though i suspect your 5 hour tour would take me a day!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bonefishjake View Post
    no doubt! we were REALLY lucky this year with the weather. all the parks you mentioned are in great condition. i'd love to see that loop sometime, though i suspect your 5 hour tour would take me a day!
    We should put something together and do a World Bridge Building Tour of NNJ SP.
    I'd gladly lead an all day epic through the area parks, we could set up a refueling stop at 1/2 point and it could also be a bail out point Let's make it happen.

mtbr member
    We should put something together and do a World Bridge Building Tour of NNJ SP.
    I'd gladly lead an all day epic through the area parks, we could set up a refueling stop at 1/2 point and it could also be a bail out point Let's make it happen.
    IN I have been getting my mileage up so lets rock it

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mattybfat View Post
    IN I have been getting my mileage up so lets rock it
    It must be pretty cool being able to ride into and out from work each day. How is the actual commute? Where do you start from ?
    Let's try to narrow down a date for the 1st annual World Bridge Building Tour. April is pretty much scheduled to death here in my household. How about May ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    It must be pretty cool being able to ride into and out from work each day. How is the actual commute? Where do you start from ?
    Let's try to narrow down a date for the 1st annual World Bridge Building Tour. April is pretty much scheduled to death here in my household. How about May ?
    I might be down for a may tour !!

mtbr member
    Yes it is, mostly from cliffside and sometimes ridgefield park if I want to add fortlee hill in the mix. GW to greenway or GW through Harlem to Central Park for a lap or two. Commute is easy unless there is a headwind which there always is

Yes May but it has to be typically a non race church day for me...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Saw this on the local craigs, had to crosspost it here:
    100 bikes $10 (oxford nj 07863)

Lol, wtf. I wonder the story behind that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I am thinking of getting a new bike. When they say that cyclocross bikes can do offroad what they mean by that exactly? In terms of local trails:
    Randolph Trails?
    Patriots Path?
    Lewis Morris? (I am guessing it could be done, but be very, very non-ideal, it would be quite brutal downhill and mess up the rim true very prematurely. Overall it likely shouldn't be done, but could be done.)

What are other local trails that might be cyclocross friendly?

mtbr member
    Im in let me know the loop so i can decide what bike and get off from work
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2002 Raleigh Mountain Scout
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    We see lots of Cross bikes at Allaire and some at Clayton. I would think 6 mile and the D&R canal path also. Mercer Co. Park could be a possibility.
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I just started riding again after 12 years. I have been doing local small trails in South Jersey.
    Today I rode at Batsto 7.9 mile trail (one of many trails) very well marked, Technical for someone
    like me who is getting back into riding. Very nice ride and it's nice to see a place that has trails just
    for mountain biking. Kind of sandy and not alot of hills. I will be back sunday for more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.chainsaw View Post
    Go to Hartshorne down near Sandy Hook. It has hills and some very fast sections as well as some techy parts (like 2-3). I'm moving north off rt17 with my GF soon and will miss that place the most.
    How far up 17 are you going to be? North like Mahwah 17 or south like Hasbrouck Heights 17?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey_Pete View Post
    How far up 17 are you going to be? North like Mahwah 17 or south like Hasbrouck Heights 17?
    hasbrouck heights - check it out, not much single track around, but i been doing hill repetes and biking down to weehawkin on fridays via edgewater ave
    Look to where the river ends, or where the river starts...