Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Six Mile

dragonfly

Six Mile

Great work to the people doing trail maintenance at six mile, I was actually shocked to see the white tool box still sitting on the trail side. Next time around I'll add some things as it was completely ransacked and empty. I remember first seeing that thing in 2004 and it was loaded with stuff and the crate area in the back was completley full of crates.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Six Mile Run?
    I was there today and there's 2 bridges on the verge of falling down. Does the park maintain those or is it done by volunteers?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It's all volunteers!!! Local guys at a local bike shop maintain, repair and alternate those trails. THEY ROCK!!!and HUGE KUDOS TO THEM!! You guys know who you are!!!!I THANK YOU!! This is the place that I get people new to riding in, or who rode bicycles before they got their license and familes! Shhhh! Don't tell anyone of 6 Mile! If the bridges are on the verge of falling down, move or fix them to make it right for the next bunch of riders. Don't forget we had a lot of rainfall in a short amount of time ( even though it was last week) and this area is prone to move that water next to the trail.That's why a lot of the lower areas are unridable during the winter.

i want spring!

Good job! Shhhh!!

Quote Originally Posted by TommyCrash
    It's all volunteers!!! Local guys at a local bike shop maintain, repair and alternate those trails. THEY ROCK!!!and HUGE KUDOS TO THEM!! You guys know who you are!!!!I THANK YOU!! This is the place that I get people new to riding in, or who rode bicycles before they got their license and familes! Shhhh! Don't tell anyone of 6 Mile! If the bridges are on the verge of falling down, move or fix them to make it right for the next bunch of riders. Don't forget we had a lot of rainfall in a short amount of time ( even though it was last week) and this area is prone to move that water next to the trail.That's why a lot of the lower areas are unridable during the winter.
    6mile does rock and i also bring the newbie riders there as well but the park may be one of the best maintained and cared for in the area. It's been built and rebuilt by mtn.bikers and that's what gives 6mile its charm. I too took part in a lil TM myself, trying to clear a section of the trail that was covered wit a huge tree branch, but much to my surprise, i was repeatly stung by a yellowjacket & got poisen ivy! double whammy! anyway, 6 mile is probably one of the most fun places with its twisting singletrack and humps and bumps.
    Check out all these mountain biking t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts by Trail Hog today!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Riding Six Mile

Hi, I have been looking up trails around north Jersey to try and find local riding. I now live in New Brunswick and would like to find some trails up here rather than heading back to Mercer and some other local unknown trails down by Trenton Anyways, can you guys give me some more info on six mile or other local trails. I am an ok rider, I like to try new things although I find myself to be timid when jumping logs and stuff so I dont want to get on too technical stuff, not yet at least. So if you could recomend so rides I would appreciate it. If you go riding and wouldnt mind a tag along that would be great too (as long as you dont mind if I am a bit slower than you )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PAbikerchick
    Hi, I have been looking up trails around north Jersey to try and find local riding. I now live in New Brunswick and would like to find some trails up here rather than heading back to Mercer and some other local unknown trails down by Trenton Anyways, can you guys give me some more info on six mile or other local trails. I am an ok rider, I like to try new things although I find myself to be timid when jumping logs and stuff so I dont want to get on too technical stuff, not yet at least. So if you could recomend so rides I would appreciate it. If you go riding and wouldnt mind a tag along that would be great too (as long as you dont mind if I am a bit slower than you )
    There are some great places near New Brunswick about 30 min in every direction. Try www.mtbnj.com and see what places you maybe interested in. I normally ride Hartshorne/Huber and Allaire. If you need someone to show you those areas I'm sure you won't have a problem. I am riding Hartshorne today and Allaire tomorrow if anyone wants to tag along.
    "hit hard, hit fast, hit often HOOAH!!!!"

Blog of mine: http://mtnsprts.blogspot.com

www.mtbnj.com
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyCrash
    jason and the guys over at halter's (http://www.halterscycles.com/) do a lot of the trail maintenance at 6-mile

The Yard Sale King.

Trails close to NBR

Six Mile Run is a really fun place to ride and its close to New Brunswick. The access is right on Rt 27 just south of Cozzens Lane (like 10 minutes south of downtown NB). Its a fast and super flowy ride (up to 13 miles out and back), some small technical parts and short ups-and-downs to keep things interesting, but nothing too intimidating. Jay and the guys at Halter's are always improving the place too. That said, its kind of hard to find the right trails if you're unfamiliar with the place (there are a lot of hunting paths and double track through the area, and its easy to get on one of those and miss all the fun twisty singletrack), so its prolly a good idea to ride with someone who's been there before your first time out. Lots of ppl from this board go there regularly, just keep an eye out when someone posts a ride.

Chimney Rock is also pretty close to NB and its hella fun, too. The loops here are shorter, much more technical (rocky), and have tougher climbs and descents than six mile. IMHO, its not better or worse, just completely different.

I think those are the best places really close by - but there are a lot more within a 1-1.5 hr drive (Hartshorne, Allamuchy, Ringwood, etc)

tj

Quote Originally Posted by PAbikerchick

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'd like to check out 6 Mile and some of the other local spots. I just rode WVP/Chimney Rock yesterday, and it was sweet. Mostly I ride at Allaire, which is really nice, if not the most technical. It does have some challenging areas, too. Is anyone going to ride 6 Mile Friday afternoon around 6? I'd love to tag along.
    I love my mtb. It helps me see the world in beautiful colors. Like brown, blue, brown, blue, brown, blue...

i want spring!

this week...

Quote Originally Posted by crash_in_nj
    I'd like to check out 6 Mile and some of the other local spots. I just rode WVP/Chimney Rock yesterday, and it was sweet. Mostly I ride at Allaire, which is really nice, if not the most technical. It does have some challenging areas, too. Is anyone going to ride 6 Mile Friday afternoon around 6? I'd love to tag along.

i was planning to go this week. I will see for friday but i was hoping to go sooner than that.
    Check out all these mountain biking t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts by Trail Hog today!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr0101
    jason and the guys over at halter's (http://www.halterscycles.com/) do a lot of the trail maintenance at 6-mile
    But they don't list it on their website, odd.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm allegedly riding Hartshorne tomorrow. I think Friday is going to have to be it for me. Let me know if you can make it.
    I love my mtb. It helps me see the world in beautiful colors. Like brown, blue, brown, blue, brown, blue...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If you guys go on friday would you mind if i tag along? I would like to try and get out this week but at the same time that requires me to go back to my old place to grab my bike which I cannot guarantee I will do. Moving Sucks!!
    Thanks! Shannon

mtbr member
    I've never ridden Six mile so I would like to tag along too on Friday with some people that know the place well. I am also riding Hartshorne Wenesday if anyone is interested

mtbnj.com
    Quote Originally Posted by edonthenet
    But they don't list it on their website, odd.
    The Halters website is in dire need of updating, but I think Jay and crew are a bit busier with more important things, ie, running a great shop and maintaining a great park, on there own time and dime.
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

mtbnj.com
    I would suggest to you folks who haven't done so already to check out mtbnj.com, its got alot of good info, alot of folks post rides and gatherings, and there is just tons of good stuff going on over there.
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    No problem if anyone wants to tag along. I sometimes get lost in my apartment, and haven't been to Six Mile before, so I make no promises about finding the good stuff. I have the mtbnj page for Six Mile open in another window. Does anyone know how accurate the maps are?

i want spring!

6 Mile

Quote Originally Posted by crash_in_nj
    No problem if anyone wants to tag along. I sometimes get lost in my apartment, and haven't been to Six Mile before, so I make no promises about finding the good stuff. I have the mtbnj page for Six Mile open in another window. Does anyone know how accurate the maps are?

i do know 6 mile pretty well, so hopefully friday i can meet you all there.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That would be great. Is 6 o'clock good for everyone?

i want spring!
    if I'm coming Friday, it will be between 6-6:15, traffic is a pain on 518.

mtbr member
    sounds good I'll be there

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I will be there .... going home to get my bike today. See you there!

mtbr member
    Alright, looks like we got a pretty good group going out. I'll have a 07 Cannondale Rush Team colors (orange/black/silver). See everyone at 6 pm... Are we meeting at the Canal Rd entrance or The Blackwells Mills Rd Entrance??

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I dont know, either one is fine with me. Oh so you know I have a Silver/Black/Red Specialized Stumpjumer and a silver Mazda 3 (PA plates)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I drive a red Subaru Forester with a Yakima roof rack. My bike is a Giant Yukon that's some kind of orange color. From mtbnj, it looks like the parking lot is on Blackwells Mills Rd. See you there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0