mtbr member
    Aug 2008

singlespeed riding destinations in nj

all my bikes are in disrepair except for my singlespeed. where would you guys take a singlespeed in nj? (where to ride without any prolonged climbing)

Born Annoyed
    I only ride single and stay in the North. If you're looking for flat, head down South Jersey. Anything below the Bridge would fit the bill.
    It's ALWAYS funny when it happens to somebody else
    Lookie at what I found- http://www.f88me.com check it out, now

mtbr member
    Agree with PH's comments, but you can get in some great loops at Stephens SP and Allamuchy North without crazy climbing. Riding SS in these parks has helped me get stronger.
    Nothing really witty to say..........

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    thanks guys. i've been a lazy lazy man and have been putting off fixing my geared bikes for a while, so i've been riding my rigid singlespeed exclusively for about 2 years now. i'd say it's improving me for when i get back on a modern geared bike, but at this rate i'll probably never fix those things haha!

i don't mind some rolling terrain. it's been ages since i went to six mile run, but if i remember correctly, that would be a pretty singlespeed-friendly ride. thoughts?

mtbr member
    Kittatinny in Andover is SS friendly.
    Lenny

The Pedaling Dragon
    Six mile is SS friendly as is Allaire,Mercer and Clayton and anything south of that.
    I have ridden Hartshorne as well on the SS..

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    thanks. i've been riding mercer weekly, and absolutely love riding there, but need some variety! i had completely forgotten about kittatinny, allaire and clayton from my racing years! thanks for reminding me... it's been at least a decade since i've been to any of those!

The Pedaling Dragon
    then definitely check out both 6 mile and allaire..the trail crews that work on those parks have been doing an outstanding job...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Kittatiny is like racetrack. You can get a nice targeted workout depending on the trails you choose and repeat.

mtbr member
    I ride my rigid ss at Wawayanda and Jungle. So much fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Rode Jungle Habitat on my Rigid 29 SS this last weekend for the first time (from philly area) and loved it! Just long enough to feel it- not like ramapo ringwood skyline epic where SS and Rigid is just plain dastardly. I did it onco on my rigid ss. Doable but you need to be like horse to not get brutalized over those hours. I ride my Geared front sus on that one.

Where in NJ are you based? Depending on your answer you may get some other options.