mtbr member

shot gun casings on skyline trail in ringwood

Over the week end, I wanted to explore some new trails as I guy in the sneaker store who just moved to jersey said "How do you know where to MTB"?

I don't have a high end de lorne with topo, so i rely on other folks showing me trails, then i try and re-do them, my two garmin's aren't great for retracing courses on mtb, i have a busted garmin edge 305 and a forerunner 405

so i took the mtb first down a lower trail that just spit me out on morris rd, i biked down to sloatsburg road and back up to shepard lake 7.5 miles with over 800 feet elevation gain. (with elevation correction feature turned on, otherwise would be double or trail with my garmin & motion based) [btw: i saw the trail marker for this last winter but recently saw the motion based on this forum from another mtber]

i am comforatble with the grasmere fire road to 'the duck pond', back passed lot c, skylands manor and tarmac to lot c,

so instead of my old route, i did this, backwards race trail to skyline trail (blue triangle), i doubled back as i was short on time and tired
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7896296

it was an erie day, and i ofen like hearing the shot guns, when i'm lost, and start hearing the rifles again i know i'm near shepherd lake, but when i find shot gun casings on designated mtb trails, i start thinking maybe there's a better way to pass my free time

things DO go bump in the night, and sometimes in the daytime too

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The shots you heard were from Thunder Mountain Skeet Range. The shells were probably left over from hunting season. Hunters share the park during hunting season. I do not think there is any hunting now, but spring turkey starts soon.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. Hopefully jersey remains hunting free on sundays.

It's probably too much to ask hunters to take there discharged casings. I try and retain my water bottle caps and water bottles when I leave the woods. But maybe that's comparing apples and oranges.

The race trail and blue traingle 'skyline' trail are amazing. Hopefully, I can do the right thing, by helping out some time with trail maintenance.

www.jorba.org
    Quote Originally Posted by jkmacman
    Thanks for the info. Hopefully jersey remains hunting free on sundays.

It's probably too much to ask hunters to take there discharged casings. I try and retain my water bottle caps and water bottles when I leave the woods. But maybe that's comparing apples and oranges.

The race trail and blue traingle 'skyline' trail are amazing. Hopefully, I can do the right thing, by helping out some time with trail maintenance.
    Hunters could be better about their shotgun casings, but then again I pick up Gu/Clif, etc wrappers frequently so I have a feeling its not a hunter thing but a trail user thing. Bottom line we all need to be diligent about picking up our trash, even if its not our personal trash.

The hunting bill you reference passed the legislature and will be sent to the governor for his signature but the bill only effects WMAs not state parks and forests (I took a lot of extra time to verify this between calling the sponsors of the bill and asking 2 state park superintendents if the bill effects their park or not). Since the lands are Wildlife Management Areas, ie they are managed/run by funds paid for by hunters/fisherman license fees, its not out of the question to allow hunters to hunt with a bow on Sundays in land designated as hunting land. Not trying to start a controversy but Fish and Game has been very generous to mountain bikers by allowing us access to these lands. They could easily shut us out but they welcome us as long as it does not clash with hunting season.

There are more trail work days this year than any one person can do in a weekend so if you feel like giving back, please keep an eye our on the JORBA calendar: http://www2.jorba.org/index.php?title=Calendar

One day a year is all we ask
    www.JORBA.org - You Dig?
    What would we do without trails? www.IMBA.com