mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Round Valley Service Fireroad

I was reading a post about Round Valley Recreation Area from a year ago, and Maurice said the Cushetunk Trail has a few singletrack trails, and he said he wouldn't mention the service fireroad, because it's just too muddy at the bottom. Where is this service fireroad that Maurice is talking about?

Brian

mtbr member
    I also have a question about Round valley. I went there for the first time today and I was unable to find any real trails. By Real, I mean singletrack. I found myself on some eight foot wide service road looking thing that was covered in quarry stone. I figure that this could not be what everyone was talking about and my bike needed service from the trip back from school (Wake Forest) and I headed back. I made my first right after the ranger station, got on my bike and pedaled up the road from which I came a little and made a left onto the trail. I was trying to follow the red markings, but there were also Blue markings around. I went up the first immediate big hill and passed the ranger station and kept going on that road. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

trails

Its better to start in the cushtunk preseve lot in the back of the reservoir then you can avoid riding on the fire roads. Ride under the powerline for about 25 yds and the trail is to the right. From there you can either take the upper or lower trail over the hill to round valley.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Is it just me, or is that first climb out of Cushetunk pretty umpossible? I went down there to check it out and ended up turning back....

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby
    Is it just me, or is that first climb out of Cushetunk pretty umpossible? I went down there to check it out and ended up turning back....
    Pretty damn close to umpossible.

I've been riding there for some 10 or so years and have never seen anyone even come within 100 feet of the top of that climb. Very steep, very loose. I did, however, talk to a guy in the parking lot who claimed to be able to clear it in his middle ring when conditions were right.

Next time you're there, walk to the top and go down the other side. The climbs you'll encounter are tough, but certainly rideable.

Mike

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Not impossible

I used to think the same but it actually is possible to make it. I've done it twice this year on my trail bike and come real close a few other times. The big tree in the middle of the climb I still can't ride over but everything else is on the bike.

That direction is still granny ring for me, everything else is middle ring.

Keep riding folks, there is hope!

Maurice

I'm Idaho!
    Mar 2006
    I can verify that when I rode with Maurice not long ago that he did almost get to the top of that climb. I can barely log roll myself over the big tree after I throw my bike over it.

mtbr member
    I was able to traverse a good portion of that climb. I cannot ride the last stretch before the top, that is super freakin steep! Hell, trying to walk up that climb is tough enough! I'm sure I'll get it next time...
    NOT!

I would love to see video of someone climbing that hill. I will pay the amount of one american dollar...
    and ten cents.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Riding from Cushetunk years ago, we used to each toss $5 into a pool, and if anyone made it up to the top of that hill the pool was theirs. No one ever won the money.

If I remember correctly, the closed trail (where the bald eagles nest) was actually harder.

mtbr member
    You truly are an MTB god if you can get up that hill. The only reason I hike up there is because I love the fast singletrack!

thats my red stapler

where's the cushetunk lot

ive always parked at the boat launch...or if we were starting late... the lower boat launch without the gate.....we barely made it out a few times.... .
    [SIZE=2]when the going gets tough the world gets reduced to one pedal stroke at a time[/SIZE]