mtbr member

Ringwood trail status?

Hey guys! I was planning to make my first trip up to Ringwood from Central NJ sometime in the next few weeks. But I came across news that the park had been closed down due to construction. Based on the site below, it looks like a lot of trails are open now. Being unfamiliar with Ringwood, I was hoping for some insight as to which are the good trails and if they are even open yet? By good trails I mean I prefer the steep and nasty or fast and flowy.

Department of Environmental Protection

Thanks in advance!
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

'Tis but a scratch
    See map at this location:
    http://www.jorba.org/sites/default/f...WOOD_MAP_0.pdf

I am finding more often that people are confusing Ringwood and Ramapo. There is a sweet connector trail between the 2. So, maybe that is the reason. But, this is definitely related to Ringwood.

On that map you will see the existing Pipeline. That same pipeline is what is under construction. TN Gas is running a new pipe. There are many trails that would normally cross over the pipeline. Right now, that is mostly not possible. The construction vehicles have bermed the sides so high and dug wide/deep trenches for the pipe. The "cross-ability" at each intersection that I have encountered has varied. Some are just not feasible. My suggestion is plan a route that does not cross the pipeline.

I believe they'll put it back in pretty decent shape when they are done. They did the same interruption to Jungle Habitat and Wawayanda before that. Its a nuisance and I can't wait for them to leave Ringwood now, too.

mtbr member
    I see what you are saying, it doesnt help that Im on a "Ringwood State Park" page but they are listing numerous parks/trails.

Thanks for the update! I take it you've been in the park recently? They were saying it should be done by 4/15. I know these kinds of things never are done on time, especially since its already 4/29... Anyone have a better idea when they might be done?
    Tennessee Gas Pipeline Work Closes Trails at Ringwood State Park | New York-New Jersey Trail Conference

Thanks
    6'5" 230lbs

'Tis but a scratch
    Yes, I was there as recently as April 18th. Not done, not even close. I talked to a construction worker the time before that. He thought they would be there through the summer. Not sure how good of a source he was though. So, take it with a grain of salt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    i live in ringwood..The trails might say they're closed but no one has told me to stay out. i even walked my bike past the entrance to the fire road they are accessing and they said hello not stay out...Ride on!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yes, trails are still considered closed for safety reasons. The park does not plan to stop anyone or give out tickets. As stated above, some trails are disrupted and you may not be able to get through. Everything south of ice pond road is open. I will try to post another update over the next few weeks.

mtbr member
    Hey Guys....I'll be in the area next week and was planning on hitting Ringwood. Would I be better off going to Ramapo? I've never ridden either place so I was going to be uploading tracks from garmin connect. Speaking of which, does anyone have a good route they could share at either location? Hoping to get in about 2.5 hrs. It'll be sporadic when I can ride so I'll have to head out solo. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I went to Ringwood (for the first time) about a week after I posted this, so 2 weeks ago. I went to parking lot C. There is a climb right out of the back right corner of the lot. It splits not far up and I went left at first. Wandered around some of the trails over there, I think they were hiking trails and I think they were closed. Wasnt anything worth riding anyway. If you instead take the right at the first split from the lot you come to the top of the fireroad and right there, on the right is the famous rocky as hell trail. I goes down and at a point it crosses the gravel construction road. Dont go down the gravel road, I did and got a lecture from the Park Ranger at the bottom about staying away from the construction. He was just doing his job though. If you instead cross the gravel construction road, the trail continues and hits a fire road. My impression is that if take that fire road it gets you to all the other good trails. I only explored a few sections and they were all quite good but 1 way only. Not worth the effort to go up, but Im DH oriented.

Wandering around, stopping, riding a few trails more than once, I easily racked up 3+ hours and I know there is a lot I didnt see.
    6'5" 230lbs

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    There are definitely plenty of trails to keep you busy south of the pipeline. Don't let the hill behind parking lot C scare you, some of the best trail can be accessed from the top.
    "The sound of a car door opening in front of you is similar to the sound of a gun being cocked."

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    If you need a map, there is one here:

Ringwood State Park | JORBA - You Dig?

Some popular trails are:

- Skylands Tr

- Ringwood-Ramapo tr south from Skylands tr to Hoferlain tr. (it sounds like you hit a small section of that)

- Race tr

...also a new trail re-route is under construction. Jorba plans to open it on June 1, National Trail day with a work day/ride.

'Tis but a scratch
    Quote Originally Posted by jtnord View Post
    If you instead take the right at the first split from the lot you come to the top of the fireroad and right there, on the right is the famous rocky as hell trail.
    Climb higher grasshopper.

Where you went right on R-R (red), take a left and follow the ugly fire-road-ish trail up to "The Knob" (see map). Once at The Knob you are at an intersection of a fire-road and R-R and you have 2 good options:

1) Go right and go down the R-R (red) trail. This will bring you back to what you have discovered already, but you add even more rocky goodness. You can literally take R-R all the way to Ramapo if you wanted. But, I'd likely cross that gravel road, cross the rock, cross another gravel road, go out toward the school and climb R-R. Then I'd take Double S to 6 Bridges. After which you will get to climb your way out. But, then you could do Cats Nest...blah, blah, blah.
    2) If you go left on RR from The Knob, you will enjoy some more rocks and soon encounter Skylands trail which is another awesome section. You will ultimately encounter Race Trail to the right or Pipeline construction to the left. So, for now go right...blah, blah, blah.

No matter what you do at Ringwood...be prepared to do some climbing.

'Tis but a scratch
    Quote Originally Posted by JSumner13 View Post
    Hey Guys....I'll be in the area next week and was planning on hitting Ringwood. Would I be better off going to Ramapo? I've never ridden either place so I was going to be uploading tracks from garmin connect. Speaking of which, does anyone have a good route they could share at either location? Hoping to get in about 2.5 hrs. It'll be sporadic when I can ride so I'll have to head out solo. Thanks!
    I gave some thoughts on Ringwood above. Its hard to provide a good flowing route there. You climb, you bomb, you climb, you bomb. And the damn pipeline has screwed some things up. But, you can just do some of that and then wing-it from there.

As for Ramapo, a popular option (for good reason) is to start at TOS (top of skyline) parking. Go out on Red/White to Cannonball, and turn right (north). Go north across Skyline and join Yellow. Continue on joint Yellow/Cannonball until they split and go yellow. Follow yellow until you see trailhead for R-R (Ringwood Ramapo, red). Split left onto R-R. Follow R-R all the way until you are down in the valley and crossing a stream. Cross and as you start coming out of the valley look for Blue. Take a right on Blue. Blue will not be your favorite part of this because you will encounter some "hike-a-bike". Follow Blue to Yellow and make a right. This is the same Yellow as you were on earlier. So, you are now starting your return. Follow Yellow until it rejoins Cannonball and go back the way you came. I don't know your pace, but this will take me about 2.5 hours.

'Tis but a scratch
    Or this. I did this when I first checked out Ramapo. I quite enjoyed Manny's recommendation:

Ramapo 8 Mile Loop - Mountain biking trip | EveryTrail

mtbr member
    went to ringwood on mtb last weekend, road from ryerson. if you are at least intermediate. i wouldnrecommend ryerson go to the right toward tos,.or just park at tos and head to ryerson. i did skylands trail and place okay on a strava segement. but i prorbably try and atay away from the construction area. i usually go to hi mtn. am overdo for ramapo ride
    Look to where the river ends, or where the river starts...

'Tis but a scratch
    Rode at Ringwood yesterday and was able to cross pipeline fairly easily now at the 2 blue Pierson Ridge trail crossings now. They have laid the pipe into the ground and filled the trench in this area.

Does anybody know if the Race Trail crossing by the Skylands trail is passable yet?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Was there today but didn't go near the pipeline.

A couple things I noted:

1. My cardio is completely shot

2. There is a ton of dead fall blocking the fire road up "the knob" that really needs to be cleared... I've got a chainsaw, if I can get an ok from someone I'm on it.

3. I'm digging all the drops on the Ringwood Ramapo trail leading from up by the knob to Ramapo. Someone's been busy and I commend them.

4. I couldn't find the Cat Nest Trail. Is it well marked or is it just a random trail leading off to the left from RR Trail? I may not have gone far enough but I'm not sure.

I'm planning on heading back later this week, possibly weekend. If anyone wants to ride let me know! I'm not the fastest on the climbs pedaling my Coiler, but if you're in for a nice rec. ride post up.
    "The sound of a car door opening in front of you is similar to the sound of a gun being cocked."

'Tis but a scratch
    Quote Originally Posted by ajd245246 View Post
    I couldn't find the Cat Nest Trail. Is it well marked or is it just a random trail leading off to the left from RR Trail? I may not have gone far enough but I'm not sure.
    Its not marked. If you come up RR from near Ryerson Middle School and reach the top of the climb, you can go straight, leaving RR on the unmarked 'Double S'. If you keep following RR to the left (marked), you will ride a level trail for about a 1/4 mile. You will see an obvious double track to the right, this is 'Erskine Access'. You could go down this if you wanted to reach the other end of 'Double S' and both ends of '6 Bridges'.

However, 'Cat Nest' is just a little further along on RR on your left. You should see it. Once on the trail, within a couple hundred yards you will see a carved tree stump that looks like a face on a totem pole. You are taking this in the preferred (mostly downhill) direction. You will come out on Ice Pond Rd.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    Its not marked. If you come up RR from near Ryerson Middle School and reach the top of the climb, you can go straight, leaving RR on the unmarked 'Double S'. If you keep following RR to the left (marked), you will ride a level trail for about a 1/4 mile. You will see an obvious double track to the right, this is 'Erskine Access'. You could go down this if you wanted to reach the other end of 'Double S' and both ends of '6 Bridges'.

However, 'Cat Nest' is just a little further along on RR on your left. You should see it. Once on the trail, within a couple hundred yards you will see a carved tree stump that looks like a face on a totem pole. You are taking this in the preferred (mostly downhill) direction. You will come out on Ice Pond Rd.

Hope this helps.
    Perfect description, thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Sorry to report bad news, but pipeline construction is not done. The park met with them last week, and work is behind schedule. The park still has all trails closed that cross pipeline. All trails south of Whites Road are still open. Jorba will re-open dialog and see if we can get more open, but we need to put out a few fires (illegal jump building) first.

PLEASE, do not build, or encourage building any trails/jumps without permission from the park. Jorba is trying to make positive improvements for bikers within the park. Illegal building undermines our efforts. If you have any questions or want to learn how to help the cause, please contact Jorba. We are looking for good trail builders.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Headed up to Ringwood from Hoboken 6/15 and being a first timer at the park asked the rep. at the entrance about mountain biking trails being open and was told nothing was open. Headed over to the visitor center and spoke with a park ranger for a second opinion and got the same answer. He did give me a piece of helpful advice and recommended Jungle Safari so my riding buddies and I headed over there for a good day of riding. Crazy cicada presence there.

'Tis but a scratch
    They mislead you. Pixy's got it right, above. Anyway, another option is to park at Ryerson Middle School
    Martin J Ryerson Middle School, Valley Road, Ringwood, NJ - Google Maps

Then if you just go along the outside of the fence on the south side of the parking you will be brought right about where my red arrow is here:
    Ringwood trail status?-ringwood.jpg

Here is the link to the PDF map again...
    http://www.jorba.org/sites/default/f...WOOD_MAP_0.pdf

On the note of cicadas at Jungle Habitat. I was there this morning and it was insane up by "Tanks" and "Cages". Super loud and there were a bazillion of them on every tree.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ringwood trails are closed. However, all trails south of Ice Pond Rd towards Skyline Dr are open. You can access them from top of Skyline or Ryerson School. People have been taking the liberty to ride some trails into the park, and they have been bothered as long as they stay out of the way of pipeline activity.

As for the cicadas, they are creeping me out as well. As of last weekend, they have not come out at Waway yet, but are just about everywhere else in NJ.