mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Ringwood Trail Building 6/7, 6/8 & 6/19

Please come out and join Jorba/RVCC for National Trail Day on both June 7th and June 8th at Ringwood State Park. We plan to start construction of a new trail.

Meet at Lot C at 8:45.

If you enter through the front gate, be sure to tell the attendant you are working at RVCC/Jorba trail maintenance.

Bring water, snacks and work gloves. Tools will be provided. Be prepared to ride or walk 1 mile to work site.

Add hoc session on Thursday June 19 5:00pm - Lot C or on the trail.

Contact Art: rvcc (at) jorba (dot) org

Ellen
    RVCC/Jorba
    Last edited by pixy; 06-19-2008 at 05:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    A Big thanks to Volunteers that came out on this hot weekend to work. 45 volunteers, 202 hours and a half a mile of cool technical single-track is complete and being ridden.

Ellen
    Jorba/RVCC

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Sorry I missed this event. Where in Ringwood did you build this?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The new section of trail is just south of Mt Defiance. If you are looking at the TC map, follow the red trail off Mt Defiance to where it co-mingles with a fire road. The trail is off to right 100 ft up and goes all the way down to what locals call warm puppy rock. It is not marked yet, but will be marked with red blazes.

pedalhead
    Nice work!

Can't wait to find this trail..

mtbr member
    May 2005

Cool Trail

Rode the trail tonight. It was great! Good job, can't believe you guys did all that work on such a hot weekend. Looks like there is another section marked off to be completed, I'm sure you'll post for volunteers.

Anthony

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Sorry about missing the TM this weekend. Pauline and I will hit the new trail tomorrow night after work.

pedalhead
    Wow - just wow.

Rode this out and back twice today. Also rode up the fire road and hit it downhill once. My buddy and I spent 2.5 hours on this trail today. Did a bunch more maintenance as well. We found a sweet little drop off / roller section .. Ride it and you will find it.

Huge props go out to all who braved the 103 degree heat last weekend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Glad you have been enjoying it. There will be some more more authorized work getting done on it this Week, Thursday starting around 5:00pm. Please feel free to stop by and help..... and help mountain bikers get credit with the park for help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    great work, just rode this trail on saturday and it was wonderful. Lots of technical things and a killer workout. We were able to get in one run from top to bottom before we had to call it quits because of the humid heat. If I can get out of work early on Thursday, you can count me in to help out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    RVCC/Jorba work session is still on for tonight (Thursday):

Meet at Lot C at 5:00 or go directly to the lower section of the trail.

pedalhead
    How did it go last night? Hope the work I tried to do did last weekend was acceptable..

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Trail work went went well according to Art. Not sure what work you did, but the spider webbing new lines that were cut along with removal of trees and bushes is NOT cool. This is not a free ride park for anyone to to built their own trails. It is a multi-use trail that Art spent more than one year planning. He also spent 10 years building a relationship of trust that got this trail approved by the park. This trail will also be a major hiker route and if it becomes trashed with rogue building it could very easily be noted by the park.

With that being said, the enthusiasm of the bike community is amazing and we maintainers love that, but sometimes it is best to ask first and check with those in charge, as there usually is a reason for most things being the way they are. For example cutting down trees and building multiple lines is not cool with the park . Rocks too small shift and create a hazard. Twisty trails, slow riders for safety. If you want to help, please get involved with Jorba or an approved maintainer and make a difference in the future of our sport.

Thanks,
    Ellen
    Jorba

pedalhead
    Didn't do any trail braids - just moved some rocks near the beginning of the trailhead.
    I'll be riding it tomorrow again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks fakebeave for your interest in helping out. Hope to meet you out there riding or at TM sometime, and enjoy the new trail!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Great Response- illegal trail building.

Pixy- that is a great response to unauthorized trail building. I wish we could somehow find out who is doing the trail maintenance down on the cannonball trail on the Pompton Lake side of skyline and give them that message.
    They have been moving rocks (large ones) to just make the trails easier or as I assume like you just said probably just "faster". The idea that "if I can't ride well then I will change it" is completely off base and is what is making our trails boring and is really upsetting . Gettting off and walking your bike is a much more accepted practice than building it up with rocks or even worse taking the rocks out.
    I ride a singlespeed because it's harder.

Freeriding Feline

Great Trail

Just got back from Ringwood and I found the new line.
    Really nice, thank you for your work.

Kat
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Rode the new trail yesterday and it's awesome. Great work building it and thanks to all that were involved. Seems like the perfect spot for something new. Is this a continuation of the existing red singetrack directly across from it. I used to ride ringwood a couple times a week before moving further west and I'm lucky if I get there a handful of times a season now. I miss the sweet technical singetrack. The trails look great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Not sure where this is can anyone direct me from lot C...Thank you

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Head out of lot C by kiosk. Make a right at T go by the rock and make a quick left. At end, make a right on white marker trail, follow up hill as trail turns into road. Then make a hard left on fireroad and follow to intersection of red trail on left. Continue on road and go 100 ft and trail is on right right before bend in road.

Or better yet, come out and help build next section on July 26 or 27th.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I tried the trail last Monday (7/21) and it was nice. Good job guys! I'm just wondering if this new single-track will be included in the Ringwood Fall Classic Race this coming Sept. 7, 2008?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jontotman
    I tried the trail last Monday (7/21) and it was nice. Good job guys! I'm just wondering if this new single-track will be included in the Ringwood Fall Classic Race this coming Sept. 7, 2008?
    No, it will not be in the race this year. It actually does not connect to anything right now, but this weekend we will begin building the next section that will connect it to the race course. This section will not be done in time for the race, but we hope to finish it by the end of the year. Volunteers welcome and appreciated. Lot C 8:45 both Sat and Sun 7/26-7/27.