mtbr member
    May 2007

Ringwood - Strating from Middle school

Are there any times when it's not cool to park in the school parking lot?
    Just curious when school starts up if it will be ok to park there on weekends.

dontcha?
    I think as long as you don't drive a an old beatup van that says "Free candy inside" on it, you'll be fine..
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member

I don't think so

I''ve been parking there for years. Never have had or heard of a problem. Probably not a good idea to park there while the kiddies are in class.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    That side of the school where the trail starts is all teacher parking and the school usually lets out by 330 or so. My wife actually works there ill see if she can get a little inside info once starts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I've never started from the school. Does it link up with the racecourse?

Gold Member
    We'll be starting from the school on Friday. Can't wait!
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    Salsa El Mariachi
    SC TBc
    Kona JTS
    RM RMX
    LOOK675

mtbr member
    Wrong thread
    Last edited by idbrian; 08-16-2007 at 08:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Parking at Ryerson makes for a great downhill run from the top of Pierson's Ridge.

I wouldn' park there during school hours though, I've only gone on weekend's and I did a night ride there in the snow a couple winters ago (the snowmobiles pack the trails down over there like a BMX track)

Anyway, from the school ride around the edge of the fence you see when you enter the parking lot and follow it to the back.

Once you enter the trails stay right and when you get halfway up the hill break off and climb the switchbacks to the top, stay left at the top and follow that trail to a T intersection, where you will make a left, this will take you to the airplane fields in RSP.

xcal29er
    You'll prob see my house on the way to the school, and i used to go to the middle school. I think school starts on the 5th, if u wanna go while school is on they let out at 2:20, and u can always park on the street and just ride up to the school because you barely need to go into the parking lot to get behind the fence.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NJMX835

Once you enter the trails stay right and when you get halfway up the hill break off and climb the switchbacks to the top, stay left at the top and follow that trail to a T intersection, where you will make a left, this will take you to the airplane fields in RSP.
    Are you talking about a red-blazed trail when you mention the switchbacks? After I make that left at the top, how exactly do I get the airplane field?

What if I go straight at that T?

Any route suggestions for the Ryerson parking area would be greatly appreciated! I think I found schoolhouse (red blazed, going south up the ridge?).

Sorry for all the ?s--this area just boggles my effin' mind!
    Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

xcal29er
    bikestud, the best and easiest way to get the airplane from ryerson is go behind that fence and you'll come to an intersection in 100ft or so , go left down a hill, then you'll come to another intersection in about 75 ft, go right. Then make a right onto the fire road. When you're on the fire road keep bearing to the right until you go up a rather large hill and come to a four trail intersection, go left here. Keep following that around and bearing to the right. You'll eventually see the field over some bushes at that point the turn is just to ur right. The right turn after that brings you up to peirson's ridge which if u explore a little there are some neat trails. When your on peirson's ridge to the right is bear swamp, and ahead of you is a pipeline, which is nice to come along if u ever get lost,

mtbr member
    Thanks xcal29er. Little by little, I'm getting the lay of the land up there. Any suggestions for a ~10-mile loop from there?

xcal29er
    hmm, peirson's ridge is the next right which i mentioned. If u take that to the top and cross the pipeline, the green trail comes up on the left. It's a real steep downhill that can sometimes put you over your bars. Do you live in town? I learned the trails by just branching out everytime i ride and i've been riding up there since i was about 4. If u ever find the yellow trail that brings you over skyline drive, i suggest you ride it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bikestud
    Are you talking about a red-blazed trail when you mention the switchbacks? After I make that left at the top, how exactly do I get the airplane field?

What if I go straight at that T?

Any route suggestions for the Ryerson parking area would be greatly appreciated! I think I found schoolhouse (red blazed, going south up the ridge?).

Sorry for all the ?s--this area just boggles my effin' mind!

I can't remember the blazes, go behind the fence at the school and as soon as you go into the woods, make a right, climb up the hill a bit and make your first left, you will see the switchbacks almost immediatly and will know you are going to right way.

Now, when you get to the top, make a left, follow it down and you will cross a wooden bridge and come to a t-intersection, I forget where straight takes you, but left takes you to the airplane fields.

Just follow it left and the first oppurtunity you have to take a right, take it and you will end up right by the fields.

Cross the road from there and you can keep climbing singletrack up to the racecourse.

(By the way, if you make a left onto a tight singletrack about 30 yards before the bridge, that will put you on Rattlesnake, very fun trail, when you are done with it and come out onto the fireroad, which I believe is the same one the other fellow was referring to)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NJMX835
    I can't remember the blazes, go behind the fence at the school and as soon as you go into the woods, make a right, climb up the hill a bit and make your first left, you will see the switchbacks almost immediatly and will know you are going to right way.

Now, when you get to the top, make a left, follow it down and you will cross a wooden bridge and come to a t-intersection, I forget where straight takes you, but left takes you to the airplane fields.

Just follow it left and the first oppurtunity you have to take a right, take it and you will end up right by the fields.

Cross the road from there and you can keep climbing singletrack up to the racecourse.

(By the way, if you make a left onto a tight singletrack about 30 yards before the bridge, that will put you on Rattlesnake, very fun trail, when you are done with it and come out onto the fireroad, which I believe is the same one the other fellow was referring to)
    Alright, that all makes sense to me, except one thing. Is the "Rattlesnake Trail" you're talking about the same thing as the "Renegade Trail" Whatever it's called, it's real fun, but a little too short.

Thanks guys for all the info!