Thread: Ringwood rocks

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Ringwood rocks

Wow, there sure are a lot of them! I'm a regular at Hartshorne and Allaire and was my 1st time there. Thought I was doing OK for a 46 and a half year old but Ringwood is def a whole new ballgame. I did the Shepards Lake trail (race trail?) and must say I did a little more walking than I'd like to admit on the way up. Momentum is probably the key but with the new terrain I wasn't able to sustain much. Only had time to go in 3 miles then turned around, better in that direction as it's more downhill. Had my 2.1 Nevegals running at 40 PSI but felt it should have been less, yes? Don't get me wrong, I did have it together on a section or two. You shoulda seem me clear that curb in the parking lot! All in all though, the place is awesome and can't wait to make the trip again and give it another go.
    Anyone who complains NJ doesn't have world class mtn biking is nuts.

mtbr member
    And there's lots more. Start at Lot C next time and make your way up the white trail and over to all the singletrack that aways. I ride Ringwood most weekends and think I won't be getting tired any time soon.

mtbr member
    Not to mention the five or so other parks in between Allaire/Harsthorne and Ringwood that are equally awesome. You still have the two huge Allamuchy and Wawayanda parks to explore.

mmuller, you should check out Kittatiny, Mahlon Dickerson, and Chimney Rock if you haven't yet for some good rocky training

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Have done CR a couple times and Wayway last year. S Mountain also is great (Don't tell). Grew up hiking Harriman St pk so very familiar with the area. Maybe it was just that 1st few miles of that trail but it'll take me a little to get any kind of flow going. Always prefer following someone's tire 1st time anywhere. I'll be back.

mtbr member
    Lower that tire pressure. Nevegals are king at ringwood(my personal opinion) i run tubeless nevegals 1.95 up to 2.5 depending on bike by i keep my preesure around 30psi on the 2.1. You dont have to go that low but that is a little high for the tire/ trails. You'll get alot more grip on the gnarly rock/roots and the tire will absorb some of the impact as your rear wheels rolls over stuff. It will make you alot smoother on your line too.

I also find that when the pressure is high in my kendas the week sidewall is more likely to get eaten up.

If you really want a challenge hit up skyline dr at ringwood. very tech

mike

mtbr member
    yeaa mikey c was keeping up with us on his xc rig while we were on our 8 in downhill bikes...
    Mongoose, Division 26, SixSixOne, Oakley, Efinger Sporting Goods.

vgt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmuller
    Wow, there sure are a lot of them! I'm a regular at Hartshorne and Allaire and was my 1st time there. Thought I was doing OK for a 46 and a half year old but Ringwood is def a whole new ballgame. I did the Shepards Lake trail (race trail?) and must say I did a little more walking than I'd like to admit on the way up. Momentum is probably the key but with the new terrain I wasn't able to sustain much. Only had time to go in 3 miles then turned around, better in that direction as it's more downhill. Had my 2.1 Nevegals running at 40 PSI but felt it should have been less, yes? Don't get me wrong, I did have it together on a section or two. You shoulda seem me clear that curb in the parking lot! All in all though, the place is awesome and can't wait to make the trip again and give it another go.
    Anyone who complains NJ doesn't have world class mtn biking is nuts.
    It's all about what you get used to in my opinion. If you live 15 minutes from Ringwood as I do....you simply would ride there a lot and just get used to it. It makes you a better rider in the end. Skyline is more techy...and you can take that all the way into Ringwood state park trail system. I have done it a lot. It is fun. I agree with what someone posted prior to me...if you are having a tough time at first on the rocky stuff....just lower that tire pressure....until you get better at it...then you can increase it. Hey, sometime you clear everything in the trails system...some days you lose your momemtum on stuff you cleared the day before without blinking and walk it. It happens.

Oh yeah...it's nothing to do with your age amigo. It's all in the mind. I also wear light knee pads (661s...the "veggie wraps") just in case. They seem to work very well for all day riding. give's me a little insurance.

A few of us are local that post here and ride there a lot together...and will post up some rides soon. Maybe you can join us. There is a lot of trails out there between skyline and ringwood.

Also, I think you would especially like Alamuchy---the deer park side. Once you get used to that you can hit up the waterloo side of Alamuchy for a really wild ride.

VGT