mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Riding near Phillipsburg?

Howdy Folks, I've got a last-minute visit on my hands, and it looks like the weather might hold for a Sat or Sunday ride. Can anyone recommend trails near Phillipsburg? Looks like Spruce Run Rec Area or Round Valley Res or Sourland Mountain might have something?

I went to Nockamixon once when I lived in Philly and remember it as really flat and sleepy. Maybe I am wrong?

Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Nockamixon has lots of trails. I also rode there(west side of lake) many years ago(20+) and was not impressed. The newer trails off tower road are really fun though. Not tons of vertical but fast and flowy and you can make then as strenuous as you like.

If you are after vertical then I highly recommend Stephens state park in Hacketstown. Stop by Marty's cycle shop in the center of town. They can provide you with a map and recommend some great trails depending on your preference.

I rode round valley when I lived in Jersey about 20 years ago and it was ok then. Not as good as Stephens though. I know nothing about Spruce run. Never rode there.

mtbr member
    This past weekend would have worked although there was still enough snow on the trails to make it quite challenging for non-fat bikes.

We are currently getting approx 8"+/- dumped on as we speak making the trails VERY difficult to ride this upcoming weekend.

Round Valley has some significant climbing. Sourlands is a smaller track, but a ton of fun and worth the trip. You'll feel like you'd ridden more than you actually had.

The Allamuchy parks (Deer Park, Stephens State Park, and Allamuchy-North) are all approximately 40 minutes from Phillipsburg and def worth the trip up Rt. 57.
    Nothing really witty to say..........