mtbr member

Idea! Relocation to NJ

Hi Guys!
    Im from Israel and doing Mountain biking for almost two years combination of trails and Moderate technical single tracks .
    Im going for a relocation to NJ at the beginning of November .
    Few question in my bag-
    Is it possible continue riding during the winter ?or I can forget about this until spring
    If so, what kind of wear do I need before getting out ?
    My working place is in Middletown , where is the best place to look for a house in term of being enough close to my work place and to some of the parks ?

Thanks for the advice !
    Ron

mtbr member
    Hey Ron - Welcome to NJ. Check out this map for where the riding is at:
    www.mtbnj.com

Hartshorne is a fun place to bike with lots of singletrack just 15 minutes from Middletown. Though most people will tell you the best riding in the western and very northern parts of the state.

In terms of where to buy a house, there's nice towns everywhere -- it just depends on your budget. Also, do you want to be near NYC? Do you want to be near the shore? Those can add considerable amounts of $$$. Also depends on if you've got kids or are single --the Brunswicks are a lively area if you're solo. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Riding in winter depends on where you will live. If it is North West NJ you are better off buying a pair of cross country ski's or take up snowboarding/downhill skiing. Areas of south NJ you will be able to for the most part with a few none riding days here and there. I think you will like NJ, (You will hate the taxes) there is a lot to do within a reasonable distance. You can Mt bike, ski, whitewater rafting/Kayaking, rock climbing climb decents Mtns and all withing a few hours drive.

mtbr member
    Is there good whitewater kayaking around? I would love to get into that.

Daddy of 3 now!

Jersey

welcome to Jersey! The land of overpriced everything, but has everything you could ever want.

Kayaking white water.

upstate NY- 2hrs
    My brother-in-law had a get away place up in Phoenicia and his property butted the Esopus creek. Lots of kayakers passing by. A few miles up stream there was a spot where they would praticing rolling (their kayaks)

check it out.

http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail...lid=CGN027-004

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Middletown

Is one of the best spots to be for both winter and summer biking. Allaire, Hartshorne, 6 mile, Clayton,..etc,...great for the winter,...and all of north jersey is rocky techy! Mtbnj.com or JORBA.org for more info.
    TeamBulldog.com Cyclecraft.com Mtbnj.com JORBA.org

mtbr member
    There are closer places than the Catskills for white water. You can do the Lackawaxen above the Mangaup but on the PA side of the Delaware, Leigh, Broadhead Stroudsburg area of PA, Mongaup above Port Jervis NY, plus many more but not as reliable. There is also alot of great flat water.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by daddy2
    welcome to Jersey! The land of overpriced everything, but has everything you could ever want.

Kayaking white water.

upstate NY- 2hrs
    My brother-in-law had a get away place up in Phoenicia and his property butted the Esopus creek. Lots of kayakers passing by. A few miles up stream there was a spot where they would praticing rolling (their kayaks)

check it out.

http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail...lid=CGN027-004

Phoenicia is a sweet little town. My friend had a weekend getaway just out of town. Great fly-fishing too!

mtbr member
    i really want to get into whitewater. it looks like it is a lot of fun. another big investment though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

relocation

Fortunatly you have some of the best mtb biking access in the state by moving to the Middletown area.(Hartshorne, Allaire, Clayton, Six mile, Chimmney Rock)
    You can ride in the winter. We do get snow and bitterly cold weather at times but it does not seem to last too long. When we experience snow try cross country skiing at the Monmouth County Parks, they rent equipment at Thompson Park.
    When biking in winter do not overdress. Wear moisture wicking material to draw sweat away from your body, keep dry. Long sleeve under and wind breaker over is enough.
    If you are working in Middletown live in Middletown. This is a big town, I would recommend renting first than once you get better aquinted with the area buy. Red Bank is also close to Middletown and has rental areas.
    Good luck, don't hesitate to ask opinions. People from NJ love to give'em.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If you are really interested in getting into ww kayaking let me know. I can give you a number of sights on the web, a couple of clubs you can look into and I may be able to help you out to see if you really like it and are comfortable in the water. Dont worry about any kind of investment now, you can test gear out from a couple of places until you find what you like. There are some fun places in Jersey and PA, unfortunately the best stuff comes only with some good rain (sorry mt bikers) so right now there is not much going on except in the deleware. Pool rolling sessions will be starting up soon and are always a fun way to learn to roll and keep your roll during the "off" season (most dont paddle in the freezing cold icy waters of winter)
    Shannon
    Its kind of fun to do the impossible.