mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Rattlesnakes at Ringwood

My buddy and I were riding the race track today betweem 1:00 and 4:00.
    We were riding side by side and come up on a snake on the side of the trail. We were not riding quickly and all of a sudden right in front of us was a rattler. It rattled at us. I was on the outside and could not stop. I would have stopped right in front of it. I rode right past it. My friend who was on the inside stopped short of it about 2-3 ft away. If he kept riding he might have been bitten. He would have been right on top off it.
    I heard there were rattlers at Ringwood and Waywa but kind of didn't believe it.
    The snake was probably 3.5-4 ft long maybe the diameter of like a red bull can.
    Wow
    CREV

mtbr member
    thats awesome, id really like to see one. but good thing no one got biten. an old friend of mine got bitten by one years ago and they shut down rt. 23 to get him to the hospital.
    I like to ride bikes fast.

i want spring!

the Wild...

Quote Originally Posted by HighTitan
    thats awesome, id really like to see one. but good thing no one got biten. an old friend of mine got bitten by one years ago and they shut down rt. 23 to get him to the hospital.
    bears & rattlers, sounds like fun there!

anyone see coyotes?

~db
    Check out all these mountain biking t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts by Trail Hog today!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

please don't run over

the snakes. It is very hard to get support for biking and building new trails in Ringwood because of the rattlesnakes. They are a protected animal and are far and few between the NJ state parks. Keep yourselves alert,...bites can be deadly.
    TeamBulldog.com Cyclecraft.com Mtbnj.com JORBA.org

mtbr member
    My son and I got lost biking in Lewis Morris this summer and ended up in the historical park. We wanted a closer look at the log cabins so we walked up to them when my son shouted "Dad, snake!!!" huge shiny black thing all coiled up in the doorway less than 2 feet away. Dude, that was close, I have no Idea what kind of snake it was but it sure didn't look scared of me!

mtbr member

Rattlesnake advice from Idaho

I was talking to some riders in Idaho about rattlesnakes a few years ago. Well, more than a few years ago.

They said,
    "The first rider wakes up the snake.
    The second p!sses it off.
    The third gets bitten."

Since there were only two of you, there was no problem.
    Last edited by Rev Bubba; 08-27-2007 at 11:00 AM.

xcal29er
    there's a place in ringwood state park called the airfield which before they cleaned it up a couple years ago it was infested with rattle snakes. I brought back 2 skins and still have them. If u see an all black snake 3-5ft long it's called a rat snake, u don't have to be too alarmed cause they're not poisenous, and not too agressive (unlike a rattle snake).

It's amazing that you would see them on the race loop though. The course is all shade and snakes need the sun to heat their bodies, the only sunny spot is the pipe line and even that has shade for a snake in the high grass.

Dirty Bert, i have not seen any coyotes myself but im pretty sure there are a couple in the area.
    Last edited by xcal29er; 08-30-2007 at 11:29 AM.

Icebiker

Coyotes, yep!

about 3 years ago, heading up the hill from the fire road that circles Shepard's Lake at Ringwood....I've also come across a rattler on the gas line in the southern section of Wawa. Bears, too, as many of us have experienced....kinda makes all our parks a "Jungle Habitat" of their own

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I heard Coyotes on a night ride a few weeks ago in Ramapo, they weren't too far off either, sounded like under 100 yrds.

mtbr member
    i have never heard of any person being attacked by coyotes anywhere around. i am from central NY where there are lots and never heard of it there either. i think that only house pets would be in danger.

mtbr member
    I have had a lot of pretty close contact with them in Colorado... They will certainly eat your cat and small dog but a single coyote in a face to face meeting with my bird dog (medium sized dog) resulted in the coyote high tailing it the other way. If they are in a pack they will kill small deer but they really, most often, as singles.

Also have seen quite a few rattlers and heard of several bites. In general best thing to do is just start walking or riding your ass to the car and get to the hospital. Rare that the bite will result in death but they certainly seem to be a painful ordeal. Best thing to do is remain calm and keep moving. call for help to meet you at the trail head.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    When I was about 7 yrs old I was biten by a Copperhead.We were living up in Cold springs N.Y. I was rushed to the hospital and they cut an x to the wound.
    I would hate to be biten by a snake miles from the car. I wonder if you are supposed to tie a tournicate?
    CREV

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    There are all sorts of snakes in Ringwood including timber rattlers. I've seen them as long as 5 ft. The DEC keeps close watch over them. If you see a woman walking with a strange box and an antena, that is our residant herpetologist. She tracks them all summer. A half doz snakes have implants in them to track. They keep track of dens. They are not agressive, the snakes that is. If you don't bother them, they won't bother you. Enjoy in the viewing.
    Last edited by pixy; 08-30-2007 at 03:51 AM.