Roof Rack Shredder
    Jul 2007

Race Preparation!!!

Rode my first race at Tymor and, well, got the stuffing beat out of me (almost literally too)... Anyone willing to share pre-race preparation tips - hydration? food? pre-race warm-up?

mtbr member
    Tymor was tougher than it looked. I was pretty whipped myself. There was a TON of climbing.

People get into more detail with each class, and obviously what works for one person might not work for another, but for me it's important to eat heartily with lots of carbs for around 36-48 hours prior, and race morning I down a double bowl of oatmeal around 3 hours before race time. I eat a half banana or granola bar maybe an hour before the race, and fill my reservoir with around 40 oz of gatorade for the race. If you're beginner class, you don't need quite as much, in fact I'd recommend around 25 oz of gatorade or even water since your race is 40-70 minutes long. Most serious riders seem to eschew gatorade for HEED, but the hydration and sugar of gatorade hasn't let me bonk yet.

Pre-riding is important, since you want to get those legs warmed up. Chances are if you ride every week you're not going to wind yourself just riding the course for 20-30 minutes before the race, so ride around in the granny and get those legs pumpin.

Check the racing and training forum on here for great info from serious racers. Lewis Morris race in 2 weeks -- it's much easier than Tymor!