mtbr member
    Aug 2007

... and if we just ... Questions about Allamuchy

Now that I have finally moved up to New Brunswick, I want to find some more local places to ride. I have heard about allamuchy but I have never been and neither has anyone I know. Is it very technical? Can I get lost easily and are there any maps on the internet? To give you an idea of my skill level, I dont consider myself that good but I am not a beginner. I have ridden Allaire, Mercer, Clayton, and some other local stuff by Trenton. I am not affraid to try new stuff as I have been to Diablo and cant wait to go back. I have also been to Chimney Rock however I find that to be too hard at times although I went when I was a beginner. Any info about the park would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
    Shannon

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I would stick to the south side of Allamuchy (Deer Park). It's a good 10 mile loop, not too technical. Check the trail reviews for directions.

it's just baby phat..
    Quote Originally Posted by boaterchick
    Now that I have finally moved up to New Brunswick, I want to find some more local places to ride. I have heard about allamuchy but I have never been and neither has anyone I know. Is it very technical? Can I get lost easily and are there any maps on the internet? To give you an idea of my skill level, I dont consider myself that good but I am not a beginner. I have ridden Allaire, Mercer, Clayton, and some other local stuff by Trenton. I am not affraid to try new stuff as I have been to Diablo and cant wait to go back. I have also been to Chimney Rock however I find that to be too hard at times although I went when I was a beginner. Any info about the park would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
    Shannon
    hello shannon. it looks like you have a pretty good handle on what your abilities are. if you enjoyed diablo and didn't have too many issues with the technical stuff there then you should be fine at the mooch. where the mooch (north side) gets interesting is in its relentless ups and downs. there is pretty much no way to avoid going up! so to put it simply, you should have a decent base fitness to enjoy this part of the park. to answer your questions: the trails are marked but gettting lost is a possibility. there are trail maps on the internet. technical is kind of relative but yes, most consider this place technical.

deer park is much easier from a cardio point of view and is not as technical as chimney rock. hope this helps.

phat

www.mtbnj.com
    Jul 2005
    Hi Shannon:

Driving directions, trail reviews and maps for allamuchy can be found here:

http://www.mtbnj.com/directory.php?f=show&id=22

You may also want to check out the Female Rider's forum where women's-specific group rides and clinics are posted:

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63

Have fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Allamuchy

Shannon,

You can also go to www.jorba.org and look under the Allamuchy Chapter for info and maps of the park. Phat gave a very good description of the two parts of the park. It is a great place! Dotn be afraid of it!!!

Bob W.