dontcha?

pump track in nj?(I know about 1 in nyc)

Just curious are there any pump tracks in the general area of central NJ? I know about the pump track in NYC in highland park, but that's not practical for a quick trip during the week after work for me..
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    I don't personally know of any on public land, but there are some tracks springing up in people's backyards.

Speaking of... would you all want a pump track in one or more of NJ's parks? How about skills areas and challenge features?

I assume the answer is yes?

FIX IT YOURSELF
    Quote Originally Posted by mergs
    I don't personally know of any on public land, but there are some tracks springing up in people's backyards.

Speaking of... would you all want a pump track in one or more of NJ's parks? How about skills areas and challenge features?

Assumption is on the money....Would love to have one at my local park (Mercer)....A pump track would actually bring me to the park again...
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

dontcha?

That would be an excellent idea, I'd def be down to help build a pump track and help push for building one..

as far as a skills area, I'm assuming it would have to be on the tame side right? (I'm picturing skinny ladder bridges 5ft in the trees)

The possibilities are endless with a decent size of land and some good ole hardwork:
    Last edited by captain spaulding; 08-10-2007 at 09:52 AM.

mtbr member
    A pump track and skills area would def. bring me back to the local trail. Does anyone who who to contact to inquire about the possibility of such a project?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by captain spaulding
    That would be an excellent idea, I'd def be down to help build a pump track and help push for building one..

as far as a skills area, I'm assuming it would have to be on the tame side right? (I'm picturing skinny ladder bridges 5ft in the trees)

The possibilities are endless with a decent size of land and some good ole hardwork:
    It still amazes me how Lee rides that thing without a pedal stroke. That is such a killer track.

I was speaking with IMBA today and one important factor with skills areas is "progression". Start with no consequence features, then low, then a little bit more. Is there ever going to be a 10 foot tall, 12" wide ladder in a county park? Don't count on it, but I think there are some outstanding possibilities here that will challenge many and only bore a few.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey_C
    A pump track and skills area would def. bring me back to the local trail. Does anyone who who to contact to inquire about the possibility of such a project?
    Mikey, thanks for joining JORBA! Check your PM!

Folks, we're still in the very early planning stages, and it can all still go into the pot, but the possibilities are still exciting nonetheless. Once I get some more details, I'll post up. Thanks.

dontcha?
    Mikey, thanks for joining JORBA! Check your PM!

Folks, we're still in the very early planning stages, and it can all still go into the pot, but the possibilities are still exciting nonetheless. Once I get some more details, I'll post up. Thanks.

yeah I'm friends with Mikey, we would def. be down to help out as much as possible, to get a local pump track / skills section..

banned

You read my mind.............

I have a spot picked out, plan on starting late Sept, early Nov............It'll be semi legal, but real fun..........will need help, will post in the fall

dragonfly
    Whoa how's that work? I use to pump ride my longboard/skateboard never knew you could do something like that with a bike?!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly
    Whoa how's that work? I use to pump ride my longboard/skateboard never knew you could do something like that with a bike?!
    Similar concept...the basic idea is to lighten your down force as you approach a pump, and as you crest and start on the downside, you push off on the backside of the pump... this is how you get around the track without pedaling. that said, I understand it more than I can apply it. I always have to pedal.

www.leelikesbikes.com has more info on building and techniques. i'd recommend anyone attempting to build one, buy his e-book first.

mtbr member
    cool, thanks fellas. we will need all hands on board if a proposal (early stages, work in progress) gets approved. you can bet we'll announce the heck out of it here and on jorba.org

dontcha?
    cool, thanks fellas. we will need all hands on board if a proposal (early stages, work in progress) gets approved. you can bet we'll announce the heck out of it here and on jorba.org

yeah if they can do it nyc, I don't see why we couldn't do it in nj..

mtbr member

Mergs - I would love a close copy of the Stowe Park in a few of NJ's parks. I rode that spot 4 days last week when I was up there and didn't get sick of it. They've gotten that place pretty dialed-in. It seemed like there was a fair bit of riders using it too.

dontcha?
    Quote Originally Posted by defconfour
    Mergs - I would love a close copy of the Stowe Park in a few of NJ's parks. I rode that spot 4 days last week when I was up there and didn't get sick of it. They've gotten that place pretty dialed-in. It seemed like there was a fair bit of riders using it too.
    I 2nd that, check it:

mtbr member
    ive been thinkking about organizing a mission to build one myself.......in north jerz......im down to help out wherever and whenever possible........ill look forward to the post

mtbr member

2 vids from that Stowe park a couple weeks ago when I was up w/ my family and some friends:

my son Sean (age 8, his cousin is in the first part of the vid as well):
    http://www.defconfour.com/movies/sto..._park_2007.wmv

Me:

The place is great for all abilities and ages. Skill zones like this should be part of the budy County Parks in NJ. All you need is an acre or 2 of land and a well done layout. If done properly maintenance shouldn't be too much either.

mtbr member

2 vids from that Stowe park a couple weeks ago when I was up w/ my family and some friends:

my son Sean (age 8, his cousin is in the first part of the vid as well):

Me:

The place is great for all abilities and ages. Skill zones like this should be part of the budy County Parks in NJ. All you need is an acre or 2 of land and a well done layout. If done properly maintenance shouldn't be too much either.
    Don,

This is killer... if it's OK with you, I'd like to grab these and show them to the land manager so they can what's what's possible. I think they would respond in a super positive way to this, especially when you show them 8 year olds having such a great time outdoors.

I agree we need these all over...

p.s. dude... was that your son down in the double screaming? it looked like you didn't know he was there?

mtbr member
    hey shuan and mikey i didnt know you guys were trying to get this, why no sayy? lol ill be down for a pick-it line or something haha. just let me know. and where abouts is this stowe way park thing i see everyone talkin about? i wanna go on my bmx bike, it reminds me of my old raceing days. man that sure would be fun to jump around on and manual.
    I like to ride bikes fast.

mtbr member
    Mergs - definitely use the vids - and no need to ask! I would love If the vids help to get some of this built in NJ.

Also, I have other vids of Sean's friends that were up there riding with us - ages 5-9 that might be able to get used too. I didn't post as they aren't my kids but I can send them to you.

Have you talked to Hardy about this? I'm sure getting in touch with him is pretty tough (I don't think he has a phone). Ron at Iride and Jason at AJ's might have some stuff to add too - I wonder if they've done any research on the riders/users.

Hit me up if you need anything else!

mtbr member
    Cool! I will talk to Hardy and Ron, good idea! Don't know Jason but I can ask for him next time. JB from NYCMTB and Mike from CLIMB have already emailed me with really good advice and things to think about as well.

banned
    A new dirt jump spot - great!!!

Hey, can you guys put a chain up at this new spot, because that wood be real cool.

No good spots in central Jerz, seems that the guys building dont want to share.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat tyres
    A new dirt jump spot - great!!!

Hey, can you guys put a chain up at this new spot, because that wood be real cool.

No good spots in central Jerz, seems that the guys building dont want to share.
    There are a few good spots in central NJ. Poachers and people that didn't help dig or maintain but had no problem riding prompted the moves to cables on one of them recently. Guys building don't mind sharing as long as the guys riding don't mind sharing dig responsibilities.

Sounds like you are sore after stopping by to get runs in but found cables instead. How many time were you there helping dig? How many time did you ride when it was too wet, too dry or runs were ready to hit?

banned

Sounds like you are sore after stopping by to get runs in but found cables instead. How many time were you there helping dig? How many time did you ride when it was too wet, too dry or runs were ready to hit?
    Sore? Not really, I am on the fence about the subject in general. I respect the cable, but have my own opinion. It's mostly a land use issue - wether it's state or county property, I kinda like to have access to it. I've lost a lot of good work, but it was all on public property, so I take it with a grain of salt. BTW, I've fix your stuff before, after a hand full of 13yr olds destroyed it. I explained to the parents of one of them about the importance of not being a HACK. That was the day I didnt ride, too wet. But good luck, if you ever need a hand look me up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat tyres
    Sore? Not really, I am on the fence about the subject in general. I respect the cable, but have my own opinion. It's mostly a land use issue - wether it's state or county property, I kinda like to have access to it. I've lost a lot of good work, but it was all on public property, so I take it with a grain of salt. BTW, I've fix your stuff before, after a hand full of 13yr olds destroyed it. I explained to the parents of one of them about the importance of not being a HACK. That was the day I didnt ride, too wet. But good luck, if you ever need a hand look me up.
    Yeah, we had no cables for years without issue but this season saw a big turnout - word got out and stuff was getting like you said - HACKED. The cables seem to save the jumps as well as the people that ride them - a lot of those riders just don't know their limits. The roller/berm/tabletop line is always open but needs a fair bit of maintanence. But it's pretty safe and is something to ride.

Those 13 year olds were definitely doing some damage - I never got to "catch up" with them but one of the locals did and said the parents were with them too. Even more of a reason to have a all levels safe spot with jumps that are bullit-proof built.

I appreciate the fix and not riding on a wet day - as you know that can make a huge mess in and of itself. BTW, have we ridden before?