Thread: Puerto Rico

mtbr member
    May 2004

Puerto Rico

I am headed to San Juan PR next month and was wondering if anybody had the 411 on what the riding is like and if there are shops to get a good bike to rent for a day. Any suggestions/contacts would be very much appreciated!

formerly "nandomax"
    Are you there yet?

Take a bike. I don't think anyone smart enough to run a bike shop will rent anything other than a low-end Fuji hybrid.

Riding is pretty good. Usually a combination of old jeep roads, singletrack and some asphalt to connect trails. Good climbing too.

I'm going there the 17th and riding the 18th, 19th and 22nd, close to the Metro Area. (If you have time, make it out to the Southwest)

Give me a buzz if I can help.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the tips - didn't receive the info until I returned tho. Anyway I had a great time! I finally hooked up with Paul who owns Hotdog Cycling in San Juan. Great guy!!! Set me up with an all XTR Specialized FSR and took me on a road ride the first night up thru Old San Juan and around the fort in the dark with no lights! Then the next day we spent a few hours in the rain forest / jungle. Some very good riding in some place called Parc Nationale that had been a military base with concrete Quonsit shaped structures built into the hillsides all over the place. Otherwise it is very hilly jungle filled with single track. Can be greasy-slippery after a rain which happened often.

formerly "nandomax"
    Sounds like you rode Monagas, lucky you. It had rained a bit too much when I was there. Still managed to ride three times. Good stuff. The Old San Juan was a regular weekday ride for me. I wish I could go back for an urban ride there.

You hooked up with Pauly, awesome call. I had no idea he was renting (or was it a loaner?)

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It was a loaner type deal, some friend's bike that was in the shop. I don't think he "rents" to just anybody on the street. I did pay him for the bike as well as twice picking me up at my hotel, returning me when done, driving me to the shop for fitting and to the Parc. I can not take any credit for the call. I got lucky thru several tries to several shops and tour guides on the island finally someone put me onto him PLUS at the last minute a shop on the west coast recommended him so I figured I was safe. Hey, we're all part of the tribe! I have done this in many areas, Colorado, Montana to name a few and they have ALWAYS been beyond my wildest dreams! Try and explain that to a non-MTB'er!

formerly "nandomax"
    Quote Originally Posted by hammarhead
    ...Hey, we're all part of the tribe! ...Try and explain that to a non-MTB'er!
    Wurd.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    That's great! Paul hooked me up once when I was there too. We did the Old Fort ride on MTBs and met up with a good bunch. The ride was fast. He had some nice bikes in there Orbeas and Colnagos. I'd go back to Puerto Rico anytime.