'Tis but a scratch

Props to Allamuchy

I live in southern NYS. As such, my MTB tires make tracks in NJ quite a bit. Ringwood, Ramapo, Jungle Habitat, Mahlon Dickerson and Wawayanda mostly - are my NJ rides. Pleanty of others in NY and beyond. I occasionally try to go hit something new now and then. The other day I decided to go check out Allamuchy. I found a good map on JORBA

http://www.jorba.org/sites/default/f...11-10-2010.pdf

There are some well marked trails, lots of unmarked stuff, plenty of climbing. I found my way to some cool single-track that winds its way up to the top of a peak. Then there were lots of rock drops, etc up there and one hairy technical rocky descent.

Overall, very cool place. I'll go back. I only scratched the surface in my 2 1/2 hours there.

Ghost Rider
    Hey Huffster,

You've but scratched the surface of what Allamuchy has to offer. The place has some insane fun stuff. We need to hook up on a ride one of these days. I'll be hitting up a lot of NY trails the season ...maybe then.

Quote Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    I live in southern NYS. As such, my MTB tires make tracks in NJ quite a bit. Ringwood, Ramapo, Jungle Habitat, Mahlon Dickerson and Wawayanda mostly - are my NJ rides. Pleanty of others in NY and beyond. I occasionally try to go hit something new now and then. The other day I decided to go check out Allamuchy. I found a good map on JORBA

http://www.jorba.org/sites/default/f...11-10-2010.pdf

There are some well marked trails, lots of unmarked stuff, plenty of climbing. I found my way to some cool single-track that winds its way up to the top of a peak. Then there were lots of rock drops, etc up there and one hairy technical rocky descent.

Overall, very cool place. I'll go back. I only scratched the surface in my 2 1/2 hours there.

mtbr member
    Looking for something new and exciting. The Byram Trail starts across Route 206 from Wavin Willy in the back right corner of the field or you can start from CO Johnson Field on Roseville Road. This has recently been blazed with White Diamonds so it should be easy to follow. Only recommended reroute is when you pass the lake and make the right turn up the hill the trail was blazed thru a rough area. If you continue passed the trail maintenance pile it opens up again and meets up again with the trail on the decent to 206. It is state land that was purchased thru the Highlands preservation fund.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakyseat View Post
    Looking for something new and exciting. The Byram Trail starts across Route 206 from Wavin Willy in the back right corner of the field or you can start from CO Johnson Field on Roseville Road. This has recently been blazed with White Diamonds so it should be easy to follow. Only recommended reroute is when you pass the lake and make the right turn up the hill the trail was blazed thru a rough area. If you continue passed the trail maintenance pile it opens up again and meets up again with the trail on the decent to 206. It is state land that was purchased thru the Highlands preservation fund.
    I grew up in Cranberry Lake and have lived locally ever since....never knew of this trail across Rt 206 from Wavin Willy. Just to be clear; it is directly across the street between the residential houses there?
    Nothing really witty to say..........

mtbr member
    If you look on Google Maps there is a big field behind Jones Lane which I've seen people park on. Access to the field is available directly from 206 or a driveway from an empty white house. The trail blazing start in the back right corner of the field but a better trail starts to the right of it, then goes left and meets up with the white diamond trail. It's a good assent like Wavin Willy. I recommend going straight once you reach the top of the new trail marking versus going left as the old trail is better blazed and more suitable to riding. The old trail will rise once more before heading down. At this point there will be a great lookout point on the right of Cranberry Lake.