Gold Member

Places to mountain bike (Advice Needed.)

My wife and I will be visiting relatives in Boonton in the next few days and we are wondering about some places to ride that are not too far from where we will be staying.

For those not familiar with Boonton, is part of Morris Co, by Mt Lakes, Denville, etc.

I used to live in NJ, so have a fair knowledge of the place, I just didn't mtb back then.

Thanks,
    Jay
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    Salsa El Mariachi
    SC TBc
    Kona JTS
    RM RMX
    LOOK675

mtbr member
    May 2005
    if you're in booton, your literally four minutes from the tourne. not too tech, but a good ride. head south on 287 to morristown and you can ride lewis morris. again, not technical but a fun place. north 20 minutes on 287 puts you in ringwood. you can find lots of info here:

www.mtbnj.com

have fun!

jake

Gold Member
    THX,
    I just found mtbnj.com and signed up before reading this post.

I here you on the tourne, been going there for over 30 yrs. Driving up to an hour away is fine with me.

Ringwood peaked some interest, as well as Wildcat Ridge, Ramapo, & a few others.
    We seem to be pretty central for a few short rides, so we may be able to get a few parks in during 1 day, maybe 2.
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    Salsa El Mariachi
    SC TBc
    Kona JTS
    RM RMX
    LOOK675

Gold Member
    For some reason I never got my reg. email from mtbnj.com, so I can't post even though I'm logged in.

I saw that a few folks ride up at Ringwood. It looks to be an hour or so from up 287.
    Has anyone ridden there? How hard is it to find your way around?
    We might be there on Friday.
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    Salsa El Mariachi
    SC TBc
    Kona JTS
    RM RMX
    LOOK675

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F5000sl
    I saw that a few folks ride up at Ringwood. It looks to be an hour or so from up 287. Has anyone ridden there? How hard is it to find your way around?
    We ALL ride Ringwood. It's got tons of trails. Start at Lot C and wait around for someone to see if you can tag along. It's a big park and there's the danger of getting lost. Even on a Friday you shouldn't have to wait long for someone to pull up for a ride. Have fun! (I'll be there Saturday.)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If you're in Booton you're less then 30 min from Split Rock and Mahlon if you want a more technical ride.

I would suggest Lewis Morris though, it's also less then 30 min and is easy to navigate and a good ride and not technical for North Jersey.

www.mtbnj.com
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by F5000sl
    For some reason I never got my reg. email from mtbnj.com, so I can't post even though I'm logged in.
    jay:

i took care of this and you should be able to post now. btw - your mtbr pm box is full.

cheers!
    steve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Smails
    If you're in Booton you're less then 30 min from Split Rock and Mahlon if you want a more technical ride.

I would suggest Lewis Morris though, it's also less then 30 min and is easy to navigate and a good ride and not technical for North Jersey.

I would suggest either Lewis Morris for a fast rolling fun ride or Mahlon for a more technical east coast rocky ride. Lewis Morris might be a bit more busy than Mahlon.

The trails are great at either one. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Ringwood is about 1/2 hr from Boonton - just hammer up 287 and get off at skyline drive....if you can get a tour there is plenty of good singletrack that starts at the top of skyline drive (upper lot) and is 10 minutes closer than lot C in Ringwood..I like Ringwood proper but you have a link in fire roads whereas from the top of skyline it's basically all singletrack

Gold Member
    Thanks guys. I think Lisa and I will be able to get in quite a few rides in one day.
    Ringlewood seems pretty cool from the videos and pics, so we'll be heading there first.
    Rocks & lots of them! I love it!

We'll bring our GPS to keep us from loosing track of direction since we are new to the park.
    I downloaded a map too, so I think we are set.

If anyone is riding and sees a Blue Rigid 29r, chances are it's me.
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    Salsa El Mariachi
    SC TBc
    Kona JTS
    RM RMX
    LOOK675

mtbr member
    Not sure why nobody is pointing you towards Allamuchy. Ringwood's rival for best NJ riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian
    Not sure why nobody is pointing you towards Allamuchy. Ringwood's rival for best NJ riding.

Well, now that the cat is out of the bag...

Actually, since F5000sl just mentioned he is bringing a GPS, Allamuchy is a great place to ride while visiting NJ. I would recommend it!

mtbr member
    Check your PM's F500sl