mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Pine Barrens dirt roads

Hoping someone can help me out. Was out riding some dirt roads in The Pine Barrens this weekend and got a crazy idea. Is there a way to travel from the northern to southern end of the Pine Barrens on dirt roads? Does any one know of a good source for maps of this area(s) that would include the back roads? Are these road extensive enough to pull off such a feat? I am aware that paved roads will be utilized but was hoping to stay on dirt (sand) as much as possible. I am from Pa. Was hoping to get myself to the northern end then ride down and eventually end up in Ocean City where the wife and kids will be.

Matt

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Not sure what you define as the north end of the pinelands.

With some research, you can easily ride mostly dirt or sand roads from Black Run Preserve (off of 73), Bass River SF and Brendan Byrne SF down to Batsto. Or from Mays Landing to down past Woodbine. There is a little to none dirt roads in the east side of the White Horse Pike- AC Expressway-Black Horse Pike corridor for you to use.

Current county maps (are they still available in Wawa?) usually show most of the major dirt roads. The Topo Map app for the iPhone is a good choice too, though its USGS maps are a little old. There are several other map apps that are good too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Don't really know what the North end is either. Would like to try to find a good 3-4 plus hours ride. Just looking for something cool to do as opposed to sitting on the beach. I will check out the local Wawas when I'm out that way again. Thanks.

mtbr member
    The north end of the Pine Lands would be Double Trouble State Park just south of Toms River a mile or so west of the GSP. Plenty of dirt roads in the park but I have no idea how you would accomplish your goal. Good luck though, it sounds like a fun idea.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyT View Post
    Would like to try to find a good 3-4 plus hours ride. Just looking for something cool to do as opposed to sitting on the beach.
    If you're looking for a 3-4 hour road/ gravel road grind near OC. Skip the north-south idea, and think east-west from OC. As you travel inland you'll find plenty of scenic pavement and long gravel roads off of rt. 50, 49 and 347. Thats where Belleplain SF and Peaslee WMA are located. A side trip to the East Point Lighthouse on the DE Bay is scenic too. Send me a message if you would like some road names.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hey sling blade. I have actually done many road rides out of OC in around that area. Have for years seen these dirt roads off of Rt. 49 and finally decided to see where they went. Rode 1st Ave off of Rt. 49. Now was hoping to hit Hunter's Mill Rd next. Any info on that one?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hunters Mill is a long yellow gravel road. I used to ride it between 347 and 49. If you take it up to 49, I recommend making a right onto 49, then make the first left on to First Ave. First Ave starts as yellow gravel, then turns into a sand road that takes you to CapMay Ave (paved) in Estell.
    There is a gravel road along a feedline to the right on First that is a nice ride to Cape May Ave too. There is also Linwood Ave off of First too. The first half is a sand gravel mix up to Fourth Ave (paved).

Until several years ago, I regularly rode long loops from a friend's house in Estell on these *roads*. I can not speak for current conditions, but can't imagine that things have changed much. Have a fun ride!

'Tis but a scratch
    I've done this routine before too. I love the beach, but sometimes its hard to find MTB'ing and beach near each other. I get a little stir crazy or tired of riding the road.

Last time I went to Wildwood, I took a few hours and hit Belleplaine State Forest. Its also only about 35 miles to get to Wharton State Park from Ocean City.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    I've done this routine before too. I love the beach, but sometimes its hard to find MTB'ing and beach near each other. I get a little stir crazy or tired of riding the road.

Last time I went to Wildwood, I took a few hours and hit Belleplaine State Forest. Its also only about 35 miles to get to Wharton State Park from Ocean City.
    Are most of these trails sandy? What tires do you recommend?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The mtb loops at Belleplain and Wharton State Forests are mostly hard packed. Most use a low knob, fast rolling tire.
    If you leave the mtb loop and start to follow multi-use trails, you'll find sand and wish you were on a fat bike.
    maps and info here...
    Belleplain State Forest | JORBA - You Dig?
    Wharton State Forest | JORBA - You Dig?