Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Pending NJ Quick-Release Law - Don't just sit there and be all talk and no action!

Don’t just sit there!

In about the time it takes for you to throw your bike on the car to go to a ride, you can email a very important message to your Senator regarding the pending bill that would make it illegal for all bike shops in NJ to sell bikes with quick-release wheels! Stop and think about your local bike shop. Would you really like to see it driven out of business because of this absolutely senseless pending legislation? Do you really want to drive to NY or PA the next time your bottom-bracket needs an overhaul, because your local bike shop is no longer in business?
    No? Then do something! In about 5 minutes or less, you can email your Senator your thoughts about this pending bill. Here’s how:

Step 1: Find the name of your municipality here:
    http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/distric...cipalities.asp

Click once on the name of your town. This click will direct you to the appropriate District Number.
    Step 2: Click on the District Number for your municipality.
    Step 3: Click once on your Senator’s name. That will take you to your Senator’s main info page.
    Step 4: Click on the Contact Your Legislator(s) link found on your Senator’s info page.
    Step 5: Click on the “Select Your Representative(s)” button.
    Step 6: Fill out the form, and COPY and PASTE the letter below (scroll down to see the whole letter) into the blank “Message” field. (Improvise letter as you feel appropriate.)
    Step 7: Click on the “Submit Email” button on the bottom of the page.

That’s it! Now you can enjoy cycling with a good conscience!

Copy this Letter (below):
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Dear Senator:

As a cycling enthusiast living in New Jersey, I urge you to reject New Jersey Senate Bill No. 2837.

New Jersey Senate Bill No. 2837, presently in front of the Senate Commerce Committee, would make it illegal to sell any bicycle -including full-sized adult bicycles - with quick release wheels. This bill was originally drafted to target children’s bicycles; however, under a revision made last Fall, it now includes all bicycles. Thus, this bill is inaccurately being promoted as affecting only children's bicycles. If this bill is passed, it will have an immediate, significant, and adverse impact on both New Jersey residents who enjoy cycling as part of a healthy lifestyle, but also on New Jersey Bicycle Dealers and retailers who provide an important service to New Jersey residents. Simply put, the passing of this bill would devastate the retail bicycle industry in New Jersey.

The quick-release system used on bicycles today has been in use for over 50 years. Many bikes with quick-release wheels also come with redundant retention, and a properly used quick-release wheel is safer than a bicycle with a bolted axle.

Because none of the bicycles currently available on the market could meet the standard in Senate Bill 2837, it would IMMEDIATELY shut down the bicycle retail business in New Jersey. S-2837 requires a quick-release retention system on adult bikes that works automatically and always retains the wheel. No bicycle available in the market meets this impossible standard. Thus, this bill would make it illegal to sell bicycles in New Jersey, and every bicycle dealer in New Jersey would lose important revenue from bike sales, and be forced to close its doors.

Senate Bill No. 2837 is ill advised because:

 It is not directed only at Children's bikes; it affects the sale of all bicycles
     It will shut down the New Jersey Bicycle business;
     It will force NJ residents to purchase new bicycles from dealers located in New York, Pennsylvania, or Maryland.
     It will be pre-empted by Federal Law that already regulates bicycles quick releases.

I urge you to reject S-2837 should this bill come before you for a vote.

Sincerely,

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Please don't use the above form letter, or at least edit it to be more accurate:

1.The bill will not force the shutdown of the bicycle industry, it will force bicycle dealers to use bolt on skewers. Bicycle shops could even pass the extra $10 per bike on to the consumer.
    2. Secondary retention devices do exist they just aren't widely available. link here Implications of a proprietary system aside.

Also, I'm curious what study you have that shows properly used QRs are safer than a properly used "bolted axle." You may have a valid argument that it's easier to achieve the proper tension, but again where is your source?

I agree that the bill is stupid, and I may make a phone call to my senator, but please don't spread misinformation. It will just decrease the credibility of cyclists in general.

mtbr member
    May 2005

RE: Please don't use...

Clutch,

On June 18th, I received an email from Marty’s Reliable Cycle which alerted me to this pending bill. In the email was the following information penned by Bob Burns, Trek Bicycle Corporation’s Legal Counsel. I borrowed much of the information from Bob Burns (shown below) to construct the “Dear Senator” letter I posted above. Please note: I do not work for a NJ bike shop. I am not affiliated with a bike shop at all. I don’t have any personal financial incentive in the outcome of this bill. I just think it should not pass. I am a cycling enthusiast who has lived in New Jersey for nearly 20 years.

Language penned by Bob Burns, Trek Bicycle Corporation:

TALKING POINTS:
    - New Jersey Assembly Bill No. 2686 would make it illegal to sell any bicycle -including ADULT bicycles - with current quick releases;
    - It is wrongly promoted as being directed only to children's bicycles;
    - This will have an immediate, significant, adverse impact on:
    -New Jersey Bicycle consumers;
    -New Jersey Bicycle dealers.
    -None of the bicycles currently on the market could meet the standard in Assembly Bill 2686;
    -This would IMMEDIATELY shut down the bicycle retail business in New Jersey;
    -The Bill would require a quick release retention system - on adult bikes -- that: Works AUTOMATICALLY, ALWAYS retains the wheel.

- There is no commercially available system that meets this impossible standard;
    - The Quick Release has been in use for over 50 years;
    - On today's commercial bicycles, bikes with Quick Releases also come with redundant retention;
    - A properly used Quick Release is SAFER than a bicycle with a bolted axle;
    - Assembly Bill 2686 is ill advised because:
    It is not directed only at Children's bikes;
    a. It will shut down the New Jersey Bicycle business;
    b. It will be pre-empted by Federal Law that already regulates bicycles quick releases.

Finally, perhaps anyone who questions what impact the passing of this bill might have on a local bike shop ought to discuss it with your local bike shop. Ask them if they think they can still be profitable if they have to manually modify each wheel of nearly every bike they sell to outfit it with a bolt on axle. I somehow don't think a bike shop could remain competitive and profitable if they had to go through the extra labor and time to do this.

Any bike shop owners out there? What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedplay
    Finally, perhaps anyone who questions what impact the passing of this bill might have on a local bike shop ought to discuss it with your local bike shop. Ask them if they think they can still be profitable if they have to manually modify each wheel of nearly every bike they sell to outfit it with a bolt on axle. I somehow don't think a bike shop could remain competitive and profitable if they had to go through the extra labor and time to do this.

Any bike shop owners out there? What do you guys think?
    There is a difference between a bolt-on axle and a bolt-on skewer. Changing to a bolt-on axle will require disassembly of the the hub and replacement of the hollow axle with a solid one. (not even possible on all hubs) Now, using a bolt-on skewer will require the bike shop to unscrew the non lever side of the QR, remove the QR, then slide the bolt on skewer through the hub, screw a nut on the other side and then finally tighten with a wrench. Total time roughly 2 minutes per wheel.

Again I don't want a nanny law like this to pass either, but it's not as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be. You wouldn't happen to have Bob Burns' email address would you? I'd like to read his QR study.

edited for clarity (see bold)
    Last edited by Clutch; 07-03-2007 at 07:21 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I don't have a contact email for Bob Burns of Trek Bicycle.

The League of American Bicyclists has provided a similar link for interested cyclists to vent their concerns over this pending bill.

http://capwiz.com/lab/issues/alert/?alertid=9918251

Here's an excerpt of the language they provide:

There is no compelling evidence that suggests that the failure of QR wheels is an immediate and urgent issue – there is no sudden surge in crashes, no recent fatality or serious injury that is prompting the legislation. QR wheels have been in use for 50 years – nothing new or current has changed to suggest a need for this draconian legislation.
    There are NO bicycles on the market that currently meet the standards set out in the legislation. New Jersey retailers would, therefore, be unable to sell any bicycles.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission already regulates QR wheels and other bicycle components. This legislation will be pre-empted by Federal law.

The League opposes this legislation and encourages League members and all cyclists in New Jersey to write to their State Senators to express their opposition.

I have emailed the sponsor of the bill, Paul Moriarty, asking him why the bill was amended to include all wheels, and not just wheels 20" or smaller. So far, I have not received a reply.

I too would like to know a bit more about the "Children riding bicycles with quick release wheels [who] have been involved in over 100 accidents" that the bill claims. Over 100 accidents? Over what span of time? What was deemed the cause of the accident?

Personally, I think driving on Route 80 is monumentally and statistically more dangerous than riding a bicycle with a quick release wheel.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    "This would IMMEDIATELY shut down the bicycle retail business in New Jersey"

sounds a bit "chicken little". couldn't the shops sell quick release levers and offer to install them for you?
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

dragonfly
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM
    "This would IMMEDIATELY shut down the bicycle retail business in New Jersey"

sounds a bit "chicken little". couldn't the shops sell quick release levers and offer to install them for you?

I thought the law is try to ban quick release levers, so no I don't think they can sell you an aftermarket one and bolt it on as it defeats the point (yes/no)?

I can sorta see why twice i've seen the tires off a quick release bike fall off on a highway while the bike was on a rack. For me I take my tires off and puttem in the trunk.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    What a clusterfk. Thank GOD I moved away from there!

shut up and pedal
    Jan 2004
    Sheesh what a bunch of horse pooh, Whats next, will my 20mm axle be dangerous due to the user has to tighten bolts?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'll just go out of state to get a bike if this passes. The state can lose out on the tax revenue. Or at least most of it (you're supposed to pay the difference if the sales tax where you buy it is less than NJ's).
    I love my mtb. It helps me see the world in beautiful colors. Like brown, blue, brown, blue, brown, blue...

mtbr member
    Man I thought livin in NJ sucked 10 years ago. I'm glad to see you pushing the limits on stupidity still. Stellar performance for the rest of the country. I guess all my relative can come visit me. I won't be back,ever!

banned
    I love sitting back and watching the hysteria.

People should read which bikes are affected by this.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly
    I thought the law is try to ban quick release levers, so no I don't think they can sell you an aftermarket one and bolt it on as it defeats the point (yes/no)?
    not sure if the law bans quick release levers or the sale of bikes with QR levers installed. either way, I'm not following this. the whole thing is ridiculous and will never impact us anyway.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Jamis and Van Dessel

I know Jamis is in NJ and I think Van Dessel as well. If this law ever gets passed wouldnt you think these companies would speak up since its going to effect them, the manufacturers?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken

COMMITTEE AMENDMENTS

At the sponsor's request, the committee amended the bill to make the sale of any type of bicycle equipped with a quick release wheel an unlawful practice, unless:

· the bicycle is equipped with both, a primary and secondary retention device, and

· the secondary retention device meets certain standards designed to prevent the accidental separation of the wheel from the bicycle fork.

Under the amendments, the sale of a bicycle with a front wheel diameter of 20 inches or less is always an unlawful practice, unless it is a specialty adult bicycle which meets the above specifications.

The amendments also changed the definition of a “quick release wheel” to mean any bicycle front wheel which does not require the use of any tools for wheel removal.
    Jersey Off-Road Bicycle Association- Advocate, Educate and Conserve
    You Dig? WWW.JORBA.ORG

WWW.MTBNJ.COM

mtbr member
    May 2005

Malaka

mtbr member
    See you later NJ...

mtbr member

Did read it -- The earlier version of the bill (prior to entering the assembly) was for bikes with wheels under 20 inches. HOWEVER, the assembly [SIZE="3"]changed the bill [/SIZE]to include all bicycles.

Hopefully it was just an ignorant rephrasing of the bill, but I wouldn't put it past our Nanny State of NJ to try to protect everyone from themselves. You know, let government be our savior and all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

****update On Qr Ban Monday July 8,2007*****

this is the latest News article on the QR ban pending in NJ.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...=2007707090320
    NMBPMIke

Rip
    Broken
    Figures that we're going to be the ones to suffer because of 8 incidents in California.
    À tout le monde. À tous mes amis. Je vous aime. Je dois partir.
    These are the last words I'll ever speak And they'll set me free

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Make sure to point out to your state congressperson how the state will lose tax revenue from bike sales, shop employees' income taxes, etc as people start buying their bikes out of state and the NJ bike shops fold up. All this so they can protect us from the scourge of qr wheel accidents. How many of those happened in NJ again? Heck, how many have happened, period? I read the APP article and it talked about brain injuries, and I wonder if a properly sized/adjusted helmet was being worn correctly at the time of the accident. I see kids from time to time with their helmets on backwards, sideways or just so big it hangs off their head sideways. That seems like a much bigger problem to me than QR wheels.
    I love my mtb. It helps me see the world in beautiful colors. Like brown, blue, brown, blue, brown, blue...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by crash_in_nj
    Make sure to point out to your state congressperson how the state will lose tax revenue from bike sales, shop employees' income taxes, etc as people start buying their bikes out of state and the NJ bike shops fold up.
    OK I'm gonna stop replying to this thread. I feel I've made my point and people are just ignoring it. This law will not affect bike shops at all.

I'll leave with one suggestion. The law would be better if it required bike shops to offer bolt-on skewers, but allowed the shop to sell the QR if the customer signs a release. This way the customer gets more options and no one ends up getting a QR without knowing what it is.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Wrong Bill Number

If any of you are going to write this letter as directed below, you may want to change the bill title/number before sending. The bill named below, NJ Senate Bill No. 2837 is actually about where clothing donations bins can be placed in NJ. http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2004/Bi...00/2837_I1.HTM

The bill about the bicycle quick - release pohibition is actually an NJ Assembly Bill (different from the Senate) and it's number is NJ Assembly Bill No. 2686:
    http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2006/Bi...00/2686_R2.HTM

mtbr member

corruption and NJ

I just heard (haven't confirmed yet tho) that the legislator introducing this law is the patent holder for the "readily available technology" Can anyone confirm this?

surely just a coincidence! NJ ain't corrupt...

-Sasquatch2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutch
    OK I'm gonna stop replying to this thread. I feel I've made my point and people are just ignoring it. This law will not affect bike shops at all.

I'll leave with one suggestion. The law would be better if it required bike shops to offer bolt-on skewers, but allowed the shop to sell the QR if the customer signs a release. This way the customer gets more options and no one ends up getting a QR without knowing what it is.

Clutch,

My understanding is that the movement for this stems from some people that have been "launched" (and injured severely in some cases) by incorrectly applied QR's, and that the bikes were the bargain variety from big-box stores. So, in essence I agree with your second point: this really comes down to a "training issue" and I think a fairly sensible compromise would be that a simple sign-off form be required that stated "I've been instructed on the safe usage of my quick release, etc.". The LBS and big box stores would by law then be forced to instruct the customer on how to use this device. LBS's do it now, big boxes probably do not.

In addition, its reported that the big box stores do not assemble a bike correctly in many cases. I can envision that this might be true, but I have no substantiation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast