Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rickcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    813

    Patriots Path on Saturday??

    Thinking of trying the Patriots Path, we have never been there and live about one hour north in NY. We are obviously unfamiliar with the specific trail surface material and wondering if it will be worthwhile considering all of the recent rain, if it does stop tomorrow morning, as predicted.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    rzip
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    42
    That all depends on where you go. Patriots Path starts in East Hanover on the eastern border of Morris county and ends all the way up by Allamuchy on the northwestern border of Morris County. In between there are lots of sections which are separated from one another. There is a fairly long continuous stretch from Speedwell lake in Morristown which goes west to the Ralston area of Mendham. It starts as paved, turns to gravel and then goes in the woods for a bit. After Lewis Morris park, it continues as cinder. The section as described will be ok after the rain. In other parts of the county ,Patriots path can transition from bikable to a hiking trail quickly.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rickcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by ziprace View Post
    That all depends on where you go. Patriots Path starts in East Hanover on the eastern border of Morris county and ends all the way up by Allamuchy on the northwestern border of Morris County. In between there are lots of sections which are separated from one another. There is a fairly long continuous stretch from Speedwell lake in Morristown which goes west to the Ralston area of Mendham. It starts as paved, turns to gravel and then goes in the woods for a bit. After Lewis Morris park, it continues as cinder. The section as described will be ok after the rain. In other parts of the county ,Patriots path can transition from bikable to a hiking trail quickly.
    So it sounds like the path is surface varies greatly and would not be good immediately following all of the torrential rain thta we have been having.
    One of my friends told me to park at Horseshoe Lake and access the trail from the back corner of the football field. What are your thoughts? We will be driving south on 287 from NY. Thanks

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rev Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,760

    Start at Speedwell Lake in Morristown

    If you start there (it could be Morris Plains, not sure exactly where the town line is) and head west you will start on cinder, cross some roads and move on to pavement and eventually come to dirt before reaching the area near Lewis Morris. There is an intermediate dirt climb and decent with roots and rocks prior to reaching Lewis Morris. After that, the trail is dirt single track and goes along a creek with at least one more short technical climb as you continue west towards Chester. It is not a very difficult ride and the scenery is beautiful. I plan to park at the area near Lewis Morris today for a ride in Lewis Morris so maybe later on I will have a little more information on trail conditions in this area. I'll also drive by the paved part which could be under water with all the rain since it runs through a swamp.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rickcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    813
    Would be great if you did give me an update at days end but I cannot imagine it will be good to ride if there are sections with dirt.

    I did not know that some of trail sections are single track, if so, I will most likely love that area. We are always in search of non technical single track and our favorite near by plave to ride is Stewart Forest in Newburgh, NY. Thanks

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rev Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,760

    Did two hours at Lewis Morris and Patriots Path

    It's Friday, 6/13, and I just got back from two hours at Lewis Morris and Patriots Path. Conditions are surprising good considering all the rain we've had. I did a couple of miles on Patriots Path to warm up and aside from a few puddles, the trail was in excellent condition. When I drove down Sussex Avenue past the portion that sometime flood it was all dry so go out tomorrow and have fun. I suggest starting at the Speedwell Lake end and riding towards Chester. If you do this, when you get to the "North Loop" sign you can either take the loop and end up back at the sign or turn left and continue towards Chester. This the point where you can decide to cross old Rt. 24 and enter Lewis Morris where there is quite a bit of single track.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rickcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    It's Friday, 6/13, and I just got back from two hours at Lewis Morris and Patriots Path. Conditions are surprising good considering all the rain we've had. I did a couple of miles on Patriots Path to warm up and aside from a few puddles, the trail was in excellent condition. When I drove down Sussex Avenue past the portion that sometime flood it was all dry so go out tomorrow and have fun. I suggest starting at the Speedwell Lake end and riding towards Chester. If you do this, when you get to the "North Loop" sign you can either take the loop and end up back at the sign or turn left and continue towards Chester. This the point where you can decide to cross old Rt. 24 and enter Lewis Morris where there is quite a bit of single track.
    Thanks for the great info we will definitely consider going there tomorrow if it works out in the morning. Might be getting more storms tonight.


    My friend who lives in that area recommended parking at Horseshoe Lake and accessing the trails, Black River to Chester and or going west on the Patriot Path.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rev Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,760

    Where is Horseshoe Lake?

    As others have said, Patriots Path is a very large system that is not connected. The area I am familiar with is the largest single piece going about ten miles from Morristown/Morris Plains to Chester with a connection to Lewis Morris County Park. Where ever you go, enjoy!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    105
    Horseshoe Lake is in Roxbury and not really near Lewis Morris. I ride from the lake to Chester and over to Columbia Trail which goes to High Bridge. I can connect from Horseshoe to Patriots and end up a Lewis but it's not easy.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rickcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    As others have said, Patriots Path is a very large system that is not connected. The area I am familiar with is the largest single piece going about ten miles from Morristown/Morris Plains to Chester with a connection to Lewis Morris County Park. Where ever you go, enjoy!
    We made the trip down there today and had some fun but still many questions regarding all of the biking area.

    We started out at Horseshoe Lake in Roxbury and rode almost the entire Black River Trail to Chester. Never spotted the left turn of onto the Patriots Trail. Portions of the trail were muddy but we had a nice run.
    We then got back into the car in search of another place to ride. We headed to Lewis Morris Park. We drove around the Park, asked some people about where the Patriot Trail intersects and we did not get any good information so we headed back to Rt 24, North I guess and found a sign for PP and parking on both sides of the road. We parked and rode on the North side ( guessing ) side of the road.
    It started out as stone dust and then turned into single track up a hill and then we ended up at a paved road crossing. Not sure what road but it was a nice small section of single track.

    Are there any good maps on line other than the Morris County Park site?

    Thanks

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rev Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,760

    What you rode was Patriots Path

    It sounds like you parked in the small lot across from Sun Rise Lake. What you rode was part of the Patriots Path section I described, not Lewis Morris. If you had crossed the road at the crossing sign, ridden a short distance and turned right on the trail that climbed you would have been in Lewis Morris. As for a map, I really don't know of any good ones. You could have continued all the way to Chester in the direction you were going. If you had reversed course, that would have eventually led to Speedwell Lake. Once you got into Lewis Morris, you could have gone quite far on almost all single track. It gives you something to aim for next time.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rickcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    It sounds like you parked in the small lot across from Sun Rise Lake. What you rode was part of the Patriots Path section I described, not Lewis Morris. If you had crossed the road at the crossing sign, ridden a short distance and turned right on the trail that climbed you would have been in Lewis Morris. As for a map, I really don't know of any good ones. You could have continued all the way to Chester in the direction you were going. If you had reversed course, that would have eventually led to Speedwell Lake. Once you got into Lewis Morris, you could have gone quite far on almost all single track. It gives you something to aim for next time.
    So there are some single track trails that can be accessed from Lewis Morris, could that have been the fire road with the gazebos close to the lake?
    We need to go back and learn where all of the trails are.

    Thanks again!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rev Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,760

    You were so close............

    Assuming you parked across the main road and not in the parking lot above the lake, if you had continued past the gazebos another 200 yards or so you would have crossed a stream (either on a small bridge or just riding through) you would have started climbing and found numerous single track branching off to the right. There is just too much to even try to explain but there are many miles of well designed intermediate single track in Lewis Morris. It is easy to spend many hours in the park without using the same trail twice except maybe to connect to other trail.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rickcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    813
    We started out at Horseshoe Park and rode south along Black River almost to the end. Kind of muddy in spots but it was a decent ride. I thought there was a link to connect to the Patriot Path but I did not see one.
    We then jumped in the car and headed to Lewis Morris Park. We parked there and asked around as to where the Trail were and we did not get any good information.
    We then went back to RT 24 and parked just west of the Park Entrance on the side of the road and started to ride south on the trail. It was a fun ride, mostly single track with some climbs and we eventually enter up stopping at another road intersection.
    The person we asked said it was Mendham Rd.

    We would love to know how to access the single track trails from Lewis Morris Park and would love to go back to that area and find more riding on the Patriot Path.
    We did end up driving through Parsippany on the way back and could not believe what a great looking town that is.

    Thanks again for all of your help!

  15. #15
    rzip
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    42
    Google maps has it. Go on google maps and zoom in. Once you reach a certain level, patriots path shows up as a dotted line and it is labled.

  16. #16
    Redcoat
    Reputation: Brockwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    957
    For anyone who is looking to do this trail, heres the trail i do. Please note the start is from the area i live in. the lake can be clearly seen though by speedwell park. Once you get to the woods its a lot of fun. There is a carpark right there at the lake.

    Ross Athlete Morristown, NJ, USA | RunKeeper

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rickcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    813
    Thanks for the info!!

  18. #18
    Redcoat
    Reputation: Brockwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    957
    There is also parking at Sussex Ave where the dirt trail begins as you travel west. If you want to head straight into the woods you can also park where Whitehead road intersects the path.

Similar Threads

  1. The Gap and the best path within
    By avishade in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-26-2012, 10:01 PM
  2. Reveal the Path
    By J3SSEB in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-15-2012, 06:38 AM
  3. SS commuting - is this the right path to take?
    By djork in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-06-2012, 06:32 PM
  4. Headed down the path
    By sfuller in forum Cargo Bikes
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-23-2011, 03:29 PM
  5. SSC p4 upgrade path?
    By DrD in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-25-2011, 07:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •