lotto baby

OT - hey Rev Bubba - looks like surf's up

hey Rev - don't know if you've been watching the forecast - 4 to 6 foot surf forecast for this weekend at spring lake. sunday looks like it could be the bigger day. if the wind behaves - could be good stuff.

i don't know if you were out the past couple weekends. two weekends ago i went out on dawn patrol and we had some really good stuff come in.
    i spurt in the wind, and the wind drug it

mtbr member

Not much last sunday

I haven't had much decent surf all season in fact. I just don't have the time to hit the ocean as much as I used to. The wife is heading down with her girlfriend tomorrow. I'll be riding this weekend and going to New Hampshire next week so surfing is pretty much done for the season for me.

Might try scuba next year.............

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Last Thursday

Caught a 4 hour window of lined up south groundswell with NW winds. 1st decent waves all summer. Kind of why I ride more than surf nowadays. As long as you can pedal the wave never ends. Am looking for a good wave this weekend though.

mtbr member

Being a real live old phart.....

I'm starting to gain a strong attraction to diving in warm Caribbean waters instead of trying to paddle out and fight for waves in NJ.

That, gentlemen, is a true sign of either maturity or just plain aging.

I'm afraid its the later.

As the man said, though, you can always pedal instead of paddle and get a ride every time.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba
    I haven't had much decent surf all season in fact.
    Might try scuba next year.............
    It's not like theres been much of anything to surf anyway, I originally picked up riding to fill in the flat spells, thank God I had a bike this year.

lotto baby
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat tyres
    It's not like theres been much of anything to surf anyway, I originally picked up riding to fill in the flat spells, thank God I had a bike this year.
    its funny - i picked up surfing to fill in the wet days time...

and of course the models have changed - the low is not cooperating. knee high on saturday. waist to chest on sunday with a s/e wind.

soon enough my spring suit won't cut the mustard anyway, and i'll be back on the bike full time.

Is flexy
    Thank god for 6/4 fullsuits and winter swells. Atleast I get lest crap for being a bodyboarder in the winter.

mtbr member

Bodyboarding may have more rewards

I know when I was more into bodyboarding, I seemed to get more rides with less effort and it was easier to transport a bodyboard than a 9'6" longboard.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by njhcx4xlife
    Atleast I get lest crap for being a bodyboarder in the winter.
    Oh ****, we need to get you a surfboard. I'll let ya borrow one of mine.

Is flexy
    Haha, I got a 9' stewart and 6'6" WRV. And I take the sponge over them any day of the week. I'm still bitter my 80's G&S quad fin got jacked... not that thing was a classic and was more buoyant than an inner tube.

lotto baby
    Quote Originally Posted by njhcx4xlife
    Haha, I got a 9' stewart and 6'6" WRV. And I take the sponge over them any day of the week. I'm still bitter my 80's G&S quad fin got jacked... not that thing was a classic and was more buoyant than an inner tube.
    nothing wrong with a sponge - especially on the bigger days. i got one myself.

mtbr member

Surf will be up soon if not right now!

Since you posted this I've gone ahead a bought a condo one block from the ocean in Ortley. Looks like '08 will have lots more surfing and road bikes down the shore.

I may have to explore Allaire on a mountain bike. Somehow that doesn't sound as technical as Allamuchy and Mahlon Dickerson......

mtbr member

congrats on the condo

Since you posted this I've gone ahead a bought a condo one block from the ocean in Ortley. Looks like '08 will have lots more surfing and road bikes down the shore.

I may have to explore Allaire on a mountain bike. Somehow that doesn't sound as technical as Allamuchy and Mahlon Dickerson......
    Island beach in the early morning is one of my favorite road rides there. If I'm feeling ambitious I'll ride from seaside to Point Pleasant, then hit Island beach.

mtbr member

Island Beach is a fun one.

Except when the wind is in your face. Too much like climbing.

lotto baby

hey congrats! very nice! sounds like you'll be getting all kinds of rides in.

actually allaire is a good fun ride. not technical, but good fun. closest real technical ride you'll have is a good haul.

mtbr member

I still live in north Jersey

I figure in the summer I can ride Mahlon Dickerson or something like that in the morning, head south after the traffic lets up, surf Saturday afternoon, Sunday and Monday morning with a string of three day weekends we have planned. Plenty of time for the road bike while I'm there.

If you ever thought of buying at the shore, now is the time. The prices have really dropped, especially for condos. Way too many condos and too few buyers right now.

JORBA
    head south after the traffic lets up.
    ha...sadly this area is a traffic nightmare during the summer.
    Frank Harms
    JORBA President
    frank at jorba.org

mtbr member

All depends on the time of day

Quote Originally Posted by gt2brew
    ha...sadly this area is a traffic nightmare during the summer.
    I usually head down from Morris County at around 10:00 pm on Friday nights, it takes about an hour to get to Seaside

mtbr member

That's my plan

Or Saturday afternoon. Either way it not in the heart of traffic. Seems the trip north is the real problem unless you leave early on Sunday or Monday afternoon. Sunday after 2 PM is a nightmare.