mtbr member

Ok where does...

Was riding skyline yesterday and was doing some exploring...took cannonball from the top lot to where it drops u off on the fireroad that if you go right takes you up to the castle. In my case I went left down the winding road to the lake where i stayed to the right as if were headed for that little bridge where people are always fishing. Anyway instead of going that far i made a right to the blue trail that goes uphill and eventually comes to a "Y". I stayed right thinking i saw a sign on the tree that read cannonball but i could be wrong. (it obviously wasnt). Straight at this Y continued uphill and was marked blue.(Where does that go??) Now back to the story, so i took the right at the fork and was some good trails but it ended up dumping me in a residential neighborhood at a dead end. I had to ride to end of conklintown road and make a right up the back of skyline drive. Ride...haha it was more of a slow labored crawl. This would have been a blast to ride down is there anyway to get onto this trail besides from this residual neighborhood. If i stayed straight at the Y mentioned above where would that take me. Basically i want to incorporate this into a loop that starts at the top of skyline. Is this possible? Does this blue trail have any connection to indian trail farther on down cannonball? Thanks for info

Matt

mtbr member
    I *think* I know where you were... but do you remember the street name where the trail dumped you? Not Conklintown Rd but the street before that...

Ramapo Mtn Drive? Stafford Dr? Cannonball Rd?

mtbr member
    It was Mcatee (looking at mapquest Wolfe Drive turns into Mcatee Lane then i made a right on cannonball then a right on conklintown to skyline

thanks
    matt

mtbr member
    I tried uploading a map but I'm getting "Server is too busy" errors. everything below would be a little clearer with a map I'm afraid.

Anyway, the easy answer a left where you made a right brings you into the "indian trail" network. however, i think that if you made a left at cannonball road, there looks to be another entrance into the network there (although I can't guarantee that you're not trespassing, so use common sense here).

To access the trails you rode, I tend to climb up towards the castle but hit the white off the fireroad, then make a RT across the power cut, continue straight following a faint trail entrance over some rocks, then fun down hill that joins the blue near where you went down into the residential area. right goes into conklintown, but a left turn onto blue takes you back to the powerline (2 left turns returns you back to the lake) or Indian Trail network (right uphill) that takes you to a fun, technical downhill. continue into Indian Trail network (mostly ATVs these days) or make your first left uphill back onto the powerline and then back into the main area of the park near the lake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mergs
    I tried uploading a map but I'm getting "Server is too busy" errors. everything below would be a little clearer with a map I'm afraid.

Anyway, the easy answer a left where you made a right brings you into the "indian trail" network. however, i think that if you made a left at cannonball road, there looks to be another entrance into the network there (although I can't guarantee that you're not trespassing, so use common sense here).

To access the trails you rode, I tend to climb up towards the castle but hit the white off the fireroad, then make a RT across the power cut, continue straight following a faint trail entrance over some rocks, then fun down hill that joins the blue near where you went down into the residential area. right goes into conklintown, but a left turn onto blue takes you back to the powerline (2 left turns returns you back to the lake) or Indian Trail network (right uphill) that takes you to a fun, technical downhill. continue into Indian Trail network (mostly ATVs these days) or make your first left uphill back onto the powerline and then back into the main area of the park near the lake.
    no problem i actually have 2 maps of the area coming in the mail i got from a link on this forum. It should be here today or tomm. so no worries thanks for your info.

mtbr member

does this sound right

"i think that if you made a left at cannonball road, there looks to be another entrance into the network there" do mean off of skyline drive off the main road just past the upper parking lot or when your physically on the trail not the fireroad ?

"climb up towards the castle but hit the white off the fireroad" if iam heading up toward the castle just before you get to the castle ruins there is a brown stone house on your left, where in relation is the white trail that will take me to: "RT across the power cut, continue straight following a faint trail entrance over some rocks, then fun down hill that joins the blue near where you went down into the residential area"

"right goes into conklintown," your referring to the right i made @ the "Y"coming up from the lake, "but a left turn onto blue takes you back to the powerline (2 left turns returns you back to the lake) or Indian Trail network (right uphill) that takes you to a fun, technical downhill. continue into Indian Trail network (mostly ATVs these days) or make your first left uphill back onto the powerline and then back into the main area of the park near the lake."

i hope these questions make sense, i am assuming its fairly easy to navigate with a detailed map if so dont kill yourself with a response, its difficult to get across with words and no visual?

thanks

mtbr member
    I just got back from a week in New Jersey and MAN I WISH I BROUGHT MY BIKE.... I had to drive Skyline Dr. every day to got to West Milford, where my wife grew up. Next time I will be bringing my bike along for the trip.